PDA

View Full Version : overheating on my new engine

duckncover182
01-28-2006, 06:31 PM
i was so excited to get my rebuilt engine put into my 97 GT but now the temp guage is going nuts. last night the coolant overflow tank was completely full when the car was hot. and today it is totally empty when i started it up. so im thinking i have a leak or a much bigger problem. all the hoses have been replaced and a brand new waterpump was just put in. 4k was just put into this engine and now its not operating right... kind of depressing aint it? have any ideas?

Wiscon_Mark
01-28-2006, 06:36 PM
sounds like you (or whoever installed the engine) skipped a step. Refill the coolant resirvoir and check for leaks by putting a flat piece of cardboard underneath the car overnight, maybe idle the car over the cardboard for 10 minutes to see if it only happens when running.

I bet its an easy fix, I hope so too. Don't run the car too hot, that's a risk for a headgasket failure.

Reason
01-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Sounds like what happened to my Legacy when my headgaskets were blown. Good luck with that one.

duckncover182
01-28-2006, 10:47 PM
the heater went out too when the engine temp is too hot so im thinking its the thermostat. im praying that its the thermostat :) im pretty sure its not a blown headgasket. any more ideas though?

shazapple
01-29-2006, 09:38 PM
If the coolant is milky and gross then its a HG. Since you jsut got your engine rebuilt im going to guess thats not the problem though.

You said youve been driving for a while since you got it rebuilt. Unless you just did something to the coolant system im going to assume that its not air bubbles in the system.

Thermostat is a possibility, although they usually get stuck open not closed.

Huffer
01-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Maybe gunning it out of your school parking lot wasn't such a good idea...

duckncover182
01-30-2006, 01:36 AM
yeah it definitely wasnt smart. i had the radiator bled for air bubbles and that fixed the problem. i took it to a local shop near my dealership and they took care of it for free. BIG BIG relief. not only do i actually get to drive the car im going to be paying off for 4 years, but i didnt have to pay for the repairs :) ty for ur input

Wiscon_Mark
01-30-2006, 06:50 PM
glad you got it fixed. I was just going to ask for an update.