PDA

View Full Version : lets up the hp shall we?

duckncover182
01-29-2006, 02:19 AM
i want to increase torque and hp but im on a budget. for about a 1k what is a good way to go? intake and exhaust? cams? plugs and wires? or a combo? let me know how to make this 2.5 gt smoke all the rich kids in the rice burners.

Wiscon_Mark
01-29-2006, 10:19 AM
intake (don't go nuts, a K&N panel filter will help)
exhaust: (custom catback + headers, and maybe a cat)
cams: one of the best performance addons. there's a place called deltacams located in washington that'll regrind the spec on your stock cams for you that give a nice performance boost
plugs: NGK Copper V-Powers seem to give the hottest, best spark, though they won't last as long
wires: nology is the "best" but they're super expensive...any 7-8mm wire should be fine though, wires don't make much of a difference unless you're running a turbo.

Reason
01-29-2006, 05:33 PM
If you want "more power" spark plug wires and spark plugs won't do it. Do intake, full exhaust, lighten crank pulley. $1000 won't get new cams. Unless you use that and save up another $2-3k (depending if you are doing all the work). I would say work on your suspension and brakes before anything.

Or you can save up for an engine swap. That's your best bet

Wiscon_Mark
01-29-2006, 05:39 PM
1000 won't get new cams?!

Deltacams charges 100 bucks to regrind
Rallitek has a set for around 500 bucks

Huffer
01-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Good suspension and tires will be around 1000, easy.

Handling is key to putting the power down.

scottzg
01-30-2006, 12:34 AM
1k doesn't go very far on the 2.5.

Removing the snorkus in the fender is free, allowing you to put together enough $ to go to a turbo engine.

Of course, you can get some good tires, fresh struts, and a bit bigger anti roll bar for 1k and have a whole lot more fun.

duckncover182
01-30-2006, 01:51 AM
i dont want to go nuts. tires are definitley on my list, but i think an intake and catback will be the first things i buy. im not gonna go overboard and do a swap. im not going to own this car forever, but if i do, a swap will only happen if its not my daily driver. and what is a snorkus? does it stop water before it his the filter? what happens if i take it out?