PDA

View Full Version : Headers for an ej22t?

VTbikerguy
02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm having a hard time finding headers.
After some hunting, I called one place on Borla headers that fit "all 2.2 and 2.5 subaru engines" but only naturally aspirated ones; as with most other headers I find..
Does anyone know if any headers for Imprezas will fit my 93 Leg Turbo?

BAC5.2
02-03-2006, 08:13 PM
They won't. You can use headers designed for the WRX though.

Kelly
02-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Not worth the dough untill around 800hp. Easystreet uses a factory header, granted its ported. The factory header is mostlly cast iron and covered with heat sheilds that hold in the heat. Aftermarket headers are thin stainless, so how much better they flow gets lost in heat disapation anyway.

Honestlly, your moneys spent better elsewhere.

Wiscon_Mark
02-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I think he's doing this because his exhaust system is rusted, guys. It would probably be hard to find OEM anymore.

VTbikerguy
02-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah, it's rusted pretty good.
Are there any WRX years that wont work, or are they all pretty much the same?

Wiscon_Mark
02-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah, it's rusted pretty good.
Are there any WRX years that wont work, or are they all pretty much the same?

all the years with an EJ20t (02-05).

Do the EJ257 UP/DPs work?

VTbikerguy
02-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure..

Wiscon_Mark
02-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I was more asking Kelly and Phil ;)

Kelly
02-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Yes, all dual port EJ series turbo headers and up pipes are Identical. The only differences are that the OBD2 cars have an 02 bung in the header, and the USDM GD WRX has a cat in the up pipe.

VTbikerguy
02-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys :-D
I'm gonna go hunt now...

BAC5.2
02-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Not worth the dough untill around 800hp. Easystreet uses a factory header, granted its ported. The factory header is mostlly cast iron and covered with heat sheilds that hold in the heat. Aftermarket headers are thin stainless, so how much better they flow gets lost in heat disapation anyway.

Honestlly, your moneys spent better elsewhere.

I disagree. Headers do something that not having them wont.

I have proof too!

We had a car. It made 370whp at 15psi with stock headers and a modified TXS Stainless Steel uppipe.

A set of gutted GPMoto headers (modified for external gate), and at the same boost they saw an additional ~50whp. They then went to make 455whp at 16psi.

Headers are great. They can help you make lots of power. They simply make less of an impact when you don't have as lofty a power goal.

BAC5.2
02-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Yes, all dual port EJ series turbo headers and up pipes are Identical. The only differences are that the OBD2 cars have an 02 bung in the header, and the USDM GD WRX has a cat in the up pipe.

Aren't the twin-scroll uppipes different?

Kelly
02-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Oh ya, and the twin scroll, which doesnt really matter cause theres only one turbo to work with it, and it sucks.

I have the GPMoto EL header on my car. When it was stock, I noticed a good loss of bottom end, and no gain on top. Ive heard similar oponions from lots of customers, with fairly stock cars.

I use this header to cut up and build twin scroll kits a lot. Its really the only one of its kind, and available to me locally. Slap a GT32 on top of it, and yeah, theres some power gain.

In my oponion, the money will be better spent elsewhere. Unless your at the point of where you've already done heads, turbo, EM, ect..

BAC5.2
02-05-2006, 02:52 AM
True. This car had more work done to it than any civilized person could imagine. I mean, it made 455whp at ridiculously low boost.

Wiscon_Mark
02-05-2006, 10:16 AM
In my oponion, the money will be better spent elsewhere. Unless your at the point of where you've already done heads, turbo, EM, ect..

you guys are still ignoring the fact that he has to spend this money on his exhaust, and he's looking at an upgrade.