PDA

View Full Version : SAAB Born from JETS?

BuruKid
02-19-2006, 09:40 PM
The new saab comercials say saab born from jets. but if im not mistaken. GM bought 1/3 of subaru and uses subaru parts to make saabs. And subaru makes aircraft parts and I know that they make great small helicopter engines So is it saab born from subaru who was born from jets. :?

badbasser98
02-19-2006, 09:59 PM
lol, i think they're refering to the aerodynamic design of the SAAB's :wink:

Sorry, I cannot clarify about the GM comment...

shazapple
02-19-2006, 10:02 PM
GM bought 20% stock in FHI, Subarus parent company. Saab and Subaru had a deal where Saab would get a rebadged WRX (called the 92-x) and Subaru would get ??? (whatever it was it must of been good)

GM has recently sold 9 or 11% to toyota and will be selling the rest soon enough.

Anyway, Saab does indeed make airplanes
Saab Gripen
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/02/gripen01-1.jpg

MitchGT
02-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Sha_zap, I'm pretty sure I read a few weeks ago that GM sold their whole stake in FHI. Could be wrong though. And you're exactly right about Saab planes; they also claim that this can be seen in the "cockpit-like" driving position in their cars.

Wiscon_Mark
02-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Sha_zap, I'm pretty sure I read a few weeks ago that GM sold their whole stake in FHI. Could be wrong though. And you're exactly right about Saab planes; they also claim that this can be seen in the "cockpit-like" driving position in their cars.

yep, GM sold all of it. 10% went to Toyota, the other 10 is up in the air, i think.

Apparently Subaru and toyota are working on a hybrid project together now :)

EXP1787
02-20-2006, 12:05 AM
As a former Saab owner and person who still loves them, I can say that their advertising campaign is very truthful, as they are still heavily involved in the aeronautical industry, no to mention that the company has been supported by plane sales/development for years. I can say that as a Saab lover, I have seen both ends of the spectrum- the lovers and haters of the marque. I researched the company quite a bit both before and after I owned my C900S, and I can honestly say that the haters (wow, that sounded bad) greatly outnumber the lovers, which is reflected in their sales. The current "Born From Jets" tagline is nothing more than an Americanization of one of the Swedish SAAB ads that has been on for a while that states “med jetplan i generna,” which means "with jets in their genes." Maybe GM realizes that they are losing many of the Saab purists with their generic-ization of the cars. If they do, I'd say this campaign may be a shot at reacquiring their interest by appealing to those who know the history of the company.

EXP1787
02-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Apparently Subaru and toyota are working on a hybrid project together now
I took some pictures of a Subaru hybrid concept engine (and car) at the Detroit Auto Show a few weeks ago. I should post some pictures.

Huffer
02-20-2006, 12:18 AM
The new saab range is hawt. The soon to be discontinued 9-2x Aero (aka 06 WRX wagon) comes complete with the new 2.5 engine, so it puts down the same power as the WRX - but in an even more sleeperish package with the integrated hood scoop.

BuruKid
02-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info

Reason
02-20-2006, 01:11 PM
My gf has a SAAB (95 900SE), her sister has the same car and her sisters bf has a 98 900 turbo (he also is a SAAB tech). After talking with him about SAAB's and what they are capable of I started to be interested in them. I hated SAAB's but they are growing on me. I Hated Subaru's till I got my 97 GT. SAAB was discovered by 16 aero engineers. Before I knew this I always said her car cockpit was as of a plane then he gave me the break down on SAAB's. As far as I know SAAB sold all it's shares, and like some of these guys said Toyota most or all of the shares GM had.

EDIT: I found this on their site.

One of the comments we hear most is how Saabs seem to be built around the driver, almost as if they were more the cockpit of a plane than the cabin of a car.

People who make this claim are more right than they could possibly know.

Because the fact is, before Saab made cars, Saab made airplanes.

And the very first Saab car was designed and hand built by 16 aeronautical engineers. Only one of which had a driver's license. Amusing as it sounds, this anecdote sums up all that makes Saab different: Clean, aerodynamic lines, efficiency and functionality, and innovations beyond what people would expect from a car.

Over the years, our designers' contributions to the automotive industry have been as significant as turbocharged technology and side-impact protection systems, and as sublime as disappearing cup holders.

It's easy to get caught up in Saab's history. It's even easier to get excited about its future. We invite you to explore both here.

EXP1787
02-20-2006, 01:49 PM
^^ Very good information. Reason, I've never been in a 94+ (GM) 900. How does your girlfriend like hers? I love my '92.

Reason
02-20-2006, 02:01 PM
^^ Very good information. Reason, I've never been in a 94+ (GM) 900. How does your girlfriend like hers? I love my '92.

She love's her SAAB, better than her 89 SAAB "something" she had. When I first drove it, it was weird. It's not a bad car and it's pretty quick for and automatic (2,5L V6). Her sister bf has a 98 900 SE turbo coupe. That thing is sweet. He did alot of mods to it, He has 200+ whp. He plans on coming with me to our DYNO day at XX Tuning. My gf loves her SAAB and plans on getting the 9-7x SUV. Would I own a SAAB? maybe, Would I drive hers for the hell of it? hell yea, Do they have potential to be a badass car to have fun in? YES his proves it. SAAB has grown on me. :D

cbr_si
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
and don't forget what SAAB actually stands for!
Svensk (Swedish)
Aero
AB (AB is like Limited or LTD in Britain, maybe Corp in the US)

gator gt
03-02-2006, 10:21 PM
and don't forget what SAAB actually stands for!
Svensk (Swedish)
Aero
AB (AB is like Limited or LTD in Britain, maybe Corp in the US)

hey, neat tid bit! :-D

Reason: word to the wise.....you think Subarus are exhaustive in terms of wiring....wait till you dive into a SAAB. one of my boss' had a SAAB 9-3. He brought it into a reputable audio/electronics shop to get a starter put in. This shop has done hundreds of installs for starters, all makes and models. So the shop dove right in. Days later and they still couldn't get it right.

My boss thought, how can this be sooo difficult. He started taking apart the dash and saw the rats nest of wires from the factory and said forget it. For weeks, my boss was hunting down electrical gremlins from the shops attempt.

SAAB wiring is sooo technologically intense that it doesn't make sense to a non-SAAB engineer. And my boss IS an engineer; no, not a SAAB engineer, but an engineer none the less. Now, the shop doesn't touch SAABs.

EEK.

GGT

Reason
03-03-2006, 03:31 AM
That's why I give my buddy alot of credit. He does all his own work on his SAAB. He's lucky enough for them letting him work on it when it's slow in the shop.

Sarra
03-04-2006, 04:24 AM
I was actually going to buy a SAAB 900 turbo, but I couldn't find one and ended up with my Legacy. :)

I'd still like to get my hands on one, I think it would be a lot of fun, if not challenging.

gator gt
03-04-2006, 08:32 PM
IF, and thats a big IF, I were to get a SAAB, it would be the Viggen. Hands down.

GGT

phillyesco
03-22-2006, 03:09 PM
beemers also were planes before cars. the bmw logo is supposed to be perpellers spining on a blue background.