PDA

View Full Version : tranny is dying

galek_98gt
04-06-2006, 11:47 AM
yesterday getting off work, start the car and try to put it into first gear and it fights me. i pump the clutch a few times and the damn thing crunches in. my 5th and reverse gear have always had a problem since i bought it but now 1st and 2nd. so right about when i'm gonna pull into my driveway, coasting in 2nd gear cause housing is 15mph limit, i give it a little gas to turn and it pops out of gear then fights to go back into gear. my gears are a mess obviously. i'm searching around for a rebuild kit but not having much luck. i called over to Koby Subaru in Mobile and am waiting to hear back from them on what parts would cost. this is probably gonna suck.

bakergtt
04-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Im sure you can find some RA gears but I have no idea the cost

blueb3
04-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, your synchro's are hosed. I would't drive it if you can avoid it. What about finding a rebuilt tranny? Or maybe even an upgraded one?

That's how I lost my last car. It ate 5th gear synchro's and the pieces parts destroyed the rest of the box. It ended up locking the drivetrain up doing 75 on the freeway. Snapped a half shaft and blew out the opposite cv joint. Thank god I got off the road safe (had my 4 year old in the car with me)

galek_98gt
04-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah, your synchro's are hosed. I would't drive it if you can avoid it. What about finding a rebuilt tranny? Or maybe even an upgraded one?

That's how I lost my last car. It ate 5th gear synchro's and the pieces parts destroyed the rest of the box. It ended up locking the drivetrain up doing 75 on the freeway. Snapped a half shaft and blew out the opposite cv joint. Thank god I got off the road safe (had my 4 year old in the car with me)

i wish i could just let it sit until it can be fixed but i have to use it every day cause its my only car right now. subaru's were a rarity in this area before katrina but now theres only new soobs around. there's no salvage that carries subaru parts here. i'm still trying to find a rebuild kit but i still can't find anything.

rallysam
04-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Are you looking for stock replacements or an upgrade? If you think you might break the stock gears again, then upgrade to a PPG set - those are the best gearboxes you can get. I wouldn't waste money on STI-RA gears or anything else that you might break again.

Here's where to get 'em:
http://www.gearboxtech.com
These guys are a real quality Subaru gearbox shop. They've got 5 or so Subaru gearbox upgrades going at any given time, and everybody loves these guys.

malstew
04-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I had a similar problem with my car but was able to pick up a good used Tranny for cheap.

Malcolm