PDA

View Full Version : Loud stock exhaust.

2.5GT
04-16-2006, 01:45 PM
well, im used to the loud exhaust that i had my previous vehicle before. now with the Subaru, its really quite..

so, is there anyway to make my stock exhaust more louder? i want to disconnect the Cat, but dont know where to hang the rest of the pipe up.
or i could losen up one bolt where the header is, and move it to the side for a opening crack. i dont know, i just want it to be louder :o

ps, i dont have any money to spend on a whole cat back :(

shazapple
04-16-2006, 01:53 PM
:lol: I suppose if you want an exaust leak thats is the way to do it.

you could get a custom catback made up at a local muffler shop. Much cheaper than getting it off the internet.

Perhaps get rid of the resonator and a cat with a straight pipe.

Remove the snorkus from yoru intake. it wont make the exaust louder but will make a bit more noise

Manarius
04-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah. There really isn't any way to make your exhaust louder without removing things or getting a new one. De-snorkusizing does make a little bit of noise though.

Plays_with_Toys
04-16-2006, 02:47 PM
I had midas do my exhaust, $180 total, including the muffler. If you go with one of the cannon shaped (JDM style yo) mufflers, you could make the bends less extreme, and the shop might make it a bit cheaper in labor. I definately like the sound of mine, and have gotten quite a few compliments, even from non-subaru owners. The cheapest way would be to buy a new muffler, and do nothing with the pipes, and honestly, that's what I'd do if I could redo mine. The exhaust doesn't really get you anything, nothing noticeable. And unless you plan to go in for the long haul of engine power, there's no reason for an exhaust. I did mine for a couple reasons, 1) easier to rev match on down shifts if I can hear the car, 2) diagnosing engine problems is easier, because I can hear when it is running rough, 3) wanted other subaru people to realize I take pride in my car, and even though its not an impreza, it is my sport subaru (there are TONs of legacys out here, but not many tuned ones), and 4) I had heard you could get better gas mileage with a catback.

2.5GT
04-16-2006, 04:13 PM
lol so there isnt anything that i can do with the stock exhaust :lol:

i guess ill just stay put until i can afford anything right now. but what kinda of muffler are good sounding, not too loud, not too quite, just a medium growl tone.

Perdue
04-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I've heard a Ford Contour that had the stock muffler, but all the cats and resonators were removed. It sounded pretty good, but wasn't overly loud.

Wiscon_Mark
04-16-2006, 09:15 PM
open manifold :twisted:

Seriously though, change up the muffler, it'd make the most difference, and most mufflers sound great on a boxer motor (really nice and deep).

PWT's setup sounds great, but he needs to get mandrel bent exhaust before he starts expecting performance gains ;)

Sarra
04-16-2006, 11:46 PM
If you want it LOUD, just hack off the mufler. If you want it louder, pull off the resonator, and if you want it louder still, just run an open header. :p

And no, loosening a bolt on the manifold would be a bad idea, an exhaust leak right next to the block can damage valves. :( If anything, make a small opening before the muffler, or even open your muffler and gut it. :p

2.5GT
04-17-2006, 10:33 AM
If you want it LOUD, just hack off the mufler. If you want it louder, pull off the resonator, and if you want it louder still, just run an open header. :p

And no, loosening a bolt on the manifold would be a bad idea, an exhaust leak right next to the block can damage valves. :( If anything, make a small opening before the muffler, or even open your muffler and gut it. :p

hm..i might just cut a big hole in the pipe before the muffler :P

i just might, i just want something louder.

shazapple
04-17-2006, 12:18 PM
If you're going to do something, do it right. Cutting a hole in the pipe is just :roll: What are you going to do come inspection time?

Seriously, go ask a muffler shop what kind of prices they have to remove the resonator and/or rear cat or to get a custom muffler.

Wiscon_Mark
04-17-2006, 12:33 PM
If you're going to do something, do it right. Cutting a hole in the pipe is just :roll: What are you going to do come inspection time?

Seriously, go ask a muffler shop what kind of prices they have to remove the resonator and/or rear cat or to get a custom muffler.

+ eleventy billion

2.5GT
04-17-2006, 01:27 PM

duct tape it back :-D

Wiscon_Mark
04-17-2006, 02:11 PM
duct tape it back :-D

I know you're joking, but you don't half ass exhaust or anything that has to do with a fine machine such as the EJ25. And that wouldn't pass inspection.

Plays_with_Toys
04-17-2006, 03:01 PM
plus the whole exhaust leak into the cabin, carbon dioxide poisoning.

2.5GT
04-17-2006, 05:41 PM
hell, this aint even worth doin with all the negative results..

i know i wont pass inspection, but i have a full year of time to do that, by the time for inspection, i've probly have a full catback. its just temperily for right now.. til i get hold of something..

Plays_with_Toys
04-17-2006, 06:01 PM
As was said. Go with a muffler if you purely want the sound, it'll cost you maybe $60-120 depending on the muffler you go with. There's been a couple options listed, just gotta pick one.

strat81
04-17-2006, 07:47 PM
$30 ebay cheapy muffler, hacksaw, exhaust clamp... there ya go... :lol:

Wiscon_Mark
04-17-2006, 07:50 PM
$30 ebay cheapy muffler, hacksaw, exhaust clamp... there ya go... :lol:

he's got jokes :lol:

losdiosdeverde86
04-18-2006, 09:47 PM
lol so there isnt anything that i can do with the stock exhaust :lol:

i guess ill just stay put until i can afford anything right now. but what kinda of muffler are good sounding, not too loud, not too quite, just a medium growl tone.

you could hollow out the muffler and take out the baffling

or just replace the muffler with a $20 glasspack.