PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first Outback

dansherman
04-24-2006, 09:57 PM
The wife and I decided to ditch my '96 Suburban for something a little more economical for my 30 mile commute. We picked up a 1998 Legacy Outback with 142K on it for $3000 after trade and so far we love it! (Only had it three days though)

There are a couple minor problems:

(1) Seat height adjuster wasn't working (remedied first day)
(2) Missing rear wiper
(3) Paint chipping on scoop (only on scoop)
(4) Mirror adjustment doesn't work (says it's on the same fuse as the cigarette lighter, but that works.. hmm..no big deal though, they're set properly now and I don't need to move them)
(5) Beep from keyless entry is really annoying

I did have one question though, the dealer sticker said it was a 2.2, but everything that I've read today says 2.5. ??

Looking forward to many happy miles.
--
dan

Wiscon_Mark
04-24-2006, 10:43 PM
It's most definitely an EJ25 unless it was swapped. The only EJ22 Outback was 1995 (I would know :D)

The hoodscoop- they're removable, take it out, get it painted, easy enough.

I believe the beep is easily disabled.

As for the P/M setup, I would suggest you pop the little panel off (use a screwdriver around the edges, it just pops right out) and check to see if the wiring harness is plugged in.

When you say the wiper is gone, do you mean the blade or the entire arm assembly?

Welcome to the site and enjoy your Subaru :)

dansherman
04-24-2006, 10:50 PM
The entire wiper arm is gone, just a threaded knob left. I don't really feel the need to replace it, but we'll see.

I had figured the P/M would be something simple, and it was, I just popped off the panel and plugged the wires back in. I wonder how they came unplugged...

Thanks for the quick reply Mark.

--
dan

Wiscon_Mark
04-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey, I was right! well, whaddya know? :D

As for the rear wiper, I think you'll want to have it once the rain comes, and definitely for snow (depending on your location)

dansherman
04-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I suppose I'll have to get one, my suburban didn't have one and that was ok, but it was a little higher off the ground.

I'm in Minnesota, colder that WI but doesn't stink as bad. :-D
--
dan

Wiscon_Mark
04-24-2006, 10:59 PM
wisconsin doesn't stink, it's america's dairyland! :lol:

Depends on what part of minnesota, but yeah, it gets cold up here!

shazapple
04-24-2006, 11:12 PM
You disable the beep by hold down both the lock and unlock button (if i remember correctly)

Welcome to the site :-D

Plays_with_Toys
04-25-2006, 01:30 AM
You'll want that wiper. Something about the aerodynamics of these wagons makes the back build up with snow/water. In a snow storm once my entire car was clean, except my mudflaps and the entire back end was pure white. The wiper coupled with the powerful rear defrost is most excellent. In fact, when you dust off your car, turn the rear defrost on and do all the other windows, by the time you get to the back it will all have melted or turned to an easy to remove slush.

Welcome to SL-i too! Don't be afraid to ask a question. We're one of the more friendly boards even with questions that have been asked quite often.

Wiscon_Mark
04-25-2006, 08:02 AM
yeah, we never tell anyone to search.

Of course, our search thingy is broken :lol:

dansherman
04-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Well then, since dumb questions are fair game where would be the best place to pick up a new wiper?

Wiscon_Mark
04-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Junkyard

www.subarugenuineparts.com (http://www.subarugenuineparts.com)

or *sigh* try the stealership.

dansherman
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
sha_zapple: FYI unlock and lock together sets off the panic alarm.. not good at 6:30 this morning in the garage next to our bedroom when the wife is asleep...
:shock:

I'll keep fiddling though, that beep has got to go!

Huffer
04-25-2006, 12:15 PM
There's a keyless entry module under the dash, along with something else that does the dinging noise. Mines unplugged, and it's silent.

Plays_with_Toys
04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
sha_zapple: FYI unlock and lock together sets off the panic alarm.. not good at 6:30 this morning in the garage next to our bedroom when the wife is asleep...
:shock:

:lol: :lol: whoops! Well you learned two things, A) that doesn't work, and B) don't work on the car while people are asleep :lol:

I've read alot about disabling the seat belt thing but not the keyless.

shazapple
04-25-2006, 01:02 PM
:lol: whoops, sorry about that!

Thats how it was done for our 99 outback (that remote had a seperate panic button though) Try flipping through the manual, thats where I learned how to program our 99 (it had the roundish remote with three buttons)

Wiscon_Mark
04-25-2006, 06:02 PM
:lol: very nice.

I need a parts car so I can swap in a door actuator and keyless entry :)

dansherman
04-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll put new questions in the right spot instead of making a monster thread here... :wink:

Wiscon_Mark
04-25-2006, 09:39 PM
good man :)