PDA

View Full Version : FWD Fuse

PetterFan
07-27-2006, 10:54 PM
What fuse do I need to use to make my car FWD? Is it a 25 amp? I am pretty sure the Duty C is fried, and want to use FWD till I have the $ to fix it.
Thanks, Phil.

badbasser98
07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
I believe its a 30 AMP, but you should reference your manual (if you still have it).

Also I would strongly recommend you do not drive the car in FWD mode, this is only ment for towing or if you have to dolly the car. Some people say that they have driven the car in FWD mode with no problems, but others have destroyed their transmission. If you do it, I hope that you will drive the car very easy and for a short time. Just take caution that the car is not ment to be driven that way, things can (or will) break. You could end up with a really expensive repair compared to what you currently have.

IMO, park the car till you can fix it.

-BB98

PetterFan
07-28-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm only going to be driving it in FWD mode till I can fix the duty C (a couple of weeks).
The only thing I have heard of breaking because of driving in FWD mode is the duty C, and since mine is already fried, I'm not to worried about it.

Reason
07-28-2006, 09:26 AM
:smt066 Nobody move, this is a thread hi-jacking! Now I'm wondering if I can dyno my GT in FWD. Wondering if I can get anymore power out of it. I need to play with the later on when I wake up!

badbasser98
07-28-2006, 09:32 AM
:smt066 Nobody move, this is a thread hi-jacking!
:cheers: don't shoot!

Let me know how it goes....

deadlydave
07-28-2006, 12:19 PM
:smt066 Nobody move, this is a thread hi-jacking! Now I'm wondering if I can dyno my GT in FWD. Wondering if I can get anymore power out of it. I need to play with the later on when I wake up!

In theory, you should have more WHP, becaus the tranny isn't moving any of the RWD components. Less friction and moving mass. Off the line, you'd probably be the same speed--because your car is still lugging those components around.

PetterFan
07-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Do you really think there would be any gain in hp? All that hardware on the rear end will still be turning. (the parts are still there)

PetterFan
07-28-2006, 09:25 PM

Hi-jack all you want, I got my question answered. I stuck a 30 amp'er in there, and no problems. Looked throught the manual too, but couldn't find anything about it.

Reason
07-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Do you really think there would be any gain in hp? All that hardware on the rear end will still be turning. (the parts are still there)

Why wouldn't there be? taking power from the rear to the front. Weight has nothing to do with more or less HP, it's going to be the regardless. I put a fuse in last night when I was at work. It breaks tire effortless, and it seems to pull a little harder. The fuse will come out today, but I will try to dyno it this summer.

PetterFan
07-29-2006, 11:56 PM
I am very curious to see what kind of results you get.

b1pig
07-30-2006, 01:05 AM
since the hijacking has already occured....

here's my $.02 on the dyno job. If the math is figured correctly, I would use it to estimate the amount of crank horsepower. Outside of that, without using a AWD dyno, then your WHP estimates are so far off, the numbers would be a guessing game.

I guess.... the point I'm trying to get at... is that if you dyno the engine on FWD, you are not getting an accurate view of the car's performance in AWD, spinning all 4 wheels under max power. You may feel like you have a 14 second car, when in reality, you have a 15 second car because you didn't take all of the situation into account. (i just tossed the #s in there... dont freak out :wink: )

Reason
07-30-2006, 01:38 PM
I already dynoed my car AWD, now out of curiosity I want to see what it puts down just FWD.

Wiscon_Mark
07-30-2006, 01:41 PM
I already talked about the FWD fuse thing in the dyno thread.

I don't think it will net more power as it is a towing feature (not the Subaru towing anything either...being towed).

Anyways, Petterfan-

I would be careful nonethless, and get your car fixed ASAP. If you can ground the car...please do it.

Reason
07-30-2006, 01:42 PM
:lol:

Huffer
07-31-2006, 02:00 PM
What fuse do I need to use to make my car FWD? Is it a 25 amp? I am pretty sure the Duty C is fried, and want to use FWD till I have the $ to fix it.
Thanks, Phil.

Thought mine was too. Changed out my auto fluid, added Lubegard ATF protectant. 25,000miles later, still going strong.

PetterFan
07-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Phil.

Thought mine was too. Changed out my auto fluid, added Lubegard ATF protectant. 25,000miles later, still going strong.

I've had the tranny fluid flushed, and that helped a little, but the at tranny light still flashed and i could still feel torque bind. I took it to a subaru dealer, and they confirmed that the duty c needs to be replaced. So, its sitting at the dealer right now.

The Korean
08-25-2006, 11:56 PM
My Impreza has been running FWD/AWD for quite awhile now. I have had absolutely no problem with it. I switch in and out of AWD alot on a daily basis. It's great! The only thing though that I really notice is that it is easier to spin the tires and the gas mileage is a tad and I mean a tad better. Regardless of what people say and all the rumors I definitely like it.

Korean

PetterFan
08-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Well, I got a new duty c, so the fuse is out and the 4wd is fully functional...with no torque bind :razz: !

Huffer
08-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, I got a new duty c, so the fuse is out and the 4wd is fully functional...with no torque bind :razz: !

Did you re-add the ATF Protectant? It also helps to lower overall temp of the AT, which prolongs the life of the AT.

PetterFan
08-26-2006, 03:23 PM

Did you re-add the ATF Protectant? It also helps to lower overall temp of the AT, which prolongs the life of the AT.

Yea, i flushed the tranny fluid and added some atf protectant.