PDA

View Full Version : i have a scoop and i wanna use it!

ooberdoob
06-06-2005, 11:36 PM
but i'm not gonna spend the $ on a turbo/swap.

how could i use it to my advantage...?

i think an oil cooler up there is a fantasic idea.

i wonder what else i could do with it?

i have a 5MT so i don't need a tranny cooler.

it'd be great to just have more airflow in the engine bay, but i know full well about Ryan's issues with an opened scoop...

suggestions for uses (other than to "get a damn turbo") are more than welcome :-D

Pwise2326
06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
I think you answered your own question there Dave, the oil cooler idea sounds great. Only thing is you'd need to figure out a way to mount it or fab a bracket to make it sit right above the plenum box (making sure it wont get pinched when the hood is closed on it), but that seems like a sure bet. To make sure you don't have the issues I had, just go through all of the electrical connections around the area that would get soaked and dob them with some dielectric grease and tape them up. Also, if you haven't already taken care of the fuel line recall through the dealership (to rid of the strong gas smell on cold startups), look into getting that done to prevent water from entering the system...otherwise keep a bottle of dry gas nearby.

Invisible_Soul
07-16-2005, 06:57 PM
I've thought about this too. I saw a show, TRUCKS!, and he intalled a ram air hood. It had duct work from the scoop over to where the air box was just like a subie and the air box just had a seal at the top so when you closed the hood it would all seal up nice with no dust getting in.

Not sure if that has been done or if it is worth while to even do.

ooberdoob
07-17-2005, 12:49 PM
look for a gravelsports intake on NASIOC.

its been done.

and i opened my scoop and so far so good. no problems at all

Tris_STi
07-18-2005, 12:43 PM
First off, 'Ram Air' does you no good until ~400mph. You'll never go that fast in a Legacy unless you drive it out the bay of a C-class cargo jet at about 30,000 ft.

Second, you DON'T want to put an oil cooler on that, and especially not up where one would put a top-mount intercooler (hence, WHY there's a hoodscoop. :roll: )

In all seriousness, though, forget its functionality, just forget it. Slap that sucker on your hood and call it a day. That's all it'll be good for --aesthetics-- until you actually go turbo.

Plays_with_Toys
07-18-2005, 01:41 PM
My dad slapped a wedge shaped scoop right in front of the turbo on his merkur with no problems. Direct air to the turbo. So I imagine there are more advantages to scoops than just TMIC's.

Tris_STi
07-18-2005, 02:14 PM
My dad slapped a wedge shaped scoop right in front of the turbo on his merkur with no problems. Direct air to the turbo. So I imagine there are more advantages to scoops than just TMIC's.

Sure there are, but a direct-air-to-turbo makes me picture a toy honda car where the turbo sits on the front lip... what are you talking about?
And direct air to the turbo won't cool it as well as you'd think it does.

Wiscon_Mark
07-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Second, you DON'T want to put an oil cooler on that, and especially not up where one would put a top-mount intercooler (hence, WHY there's a hoodscoop. :roll: )

He's not going turbo. That's why he wants to use it for something else. call it creativity.

In all seriousness, though, forget its functionality, just forget it. Slap that sucker on your hood and call it a day. That's all it'll be good for --aesthetics-- until you actually go turbo.

um, Tristan, Ooberdoob didn't "slap" his hoodscoop on. It was already there...just so ya know. And wouldn't it be cooler air than in the engine bay? I mean, it wouldn't help a turbo too much without and intercooler, but it would help with a naturally aspirated engine. Not to mention that it would help keep the engine bay cooled off. I know "Ramming the air" wouldn't be effective, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm going with the cooler air theory.

Tris_STi
07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Sure, it could be cooler air.. . On the Legacy Turbos, the hoodscoop is acutally just part of the turbo chimney until you go intercooled.

I know he's not going turbo. I got that.

You can take off whatever dealie is below the scoop (dunno what its called and I haven't been under the hood of an LGT in awhile) but that would also mean you're exposing your engine parts to a fair bit of moisture/rain, weather conditions notwithstanding. Could lead to some fouled electrical parts, at least temporarily. And you know how everyone loves to get stranded in the rain...

Plays_with_Toys
07-18-2005, 04:26 PM
The turbo on merkurs is located right behind the passenger side headlight. My dad pulled a transam side scoop (or something along those lines) and installed it into the hood in front of his turbo. No, it wasn't for cooling, but simply to get outside (cooler) air direct to his turbo, rather than getting it through the grill, mixed with warm engine bay air, etc... Like this one, only the scoop was 1/4 the size, and fit flush to the engine.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 2_full.jpg (http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/421000-421999/421457_12_full.jpg)

Anyway to make that the air intake? Like, take off all the other piping, make a small pipe with the MAF and everything right there and a square filter right below the scoop? That'd probably even give you a couple HP, not to mention a deeper exhaust note.

scottzg
07-20-2005, 05:32 PM
seems to me that since you dont care how long the piping is on a oil/trans cooler, you might as well stick it on the nose of the car. You get 10 'coolness' points if you use the hoodscoop, but i can't see it flowing as well.

I would just open up the scoop and let the engine bay leak hot air when you're idling with the a/c on.

Wiscon_Mark
07-20-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm gonna agree with Scottzg on this one....just have it assist your cooling system....

2deadlegs
07-22-2005, 03:46 AM
Just get an intercooler for under the hood there. Keep your stock airbox to filter the air but use the IC to cool the air. So what if you don't have a turbo...cold air is always better.

Buy a fake WRX IC on ebay cheap...

Wiscon_Mark
07-22-2005, 11:08 AM
I know you're being sarcastic, but intercoolers are a waste (and actually bad for airflow) on naturally aspirated engines...you need forced air if they're going to do any good.

2deadlegs
07-23-2005, 04:12 AM
Fine then...get a fake ass WRX TMIC and an electronic supercharger from ebay and you will be set. You will need a sweet BOV now to handle all the flow.

WOOOOSH!!!

bgwagon
07-26-2005, 10:54 AM
hahaha nice one :D...electic supercharger!! hahaha

ooberdoob
07-26-2005, 11:43 AM
wow tristan, you really are a dickhead.