PDA

View Full Version : transmission switch from 4eat to 5 spd.

bubaru21
08-29-2006, 12:27 AM
how much would it run ot get my tranny changed to 5 spd. the 4eat was just replaced before i got the car but i want more fun when i drive so i was thinking i could possibly sell the 4eat and maybe even cover most of the swap price with it.

Huffer
08-29-2006, 09:01 AM
a used 4EAT will go for about $600 - $1500, depending on condition and mileage (it's a buyer's market).

Swapping an AT for an MT tranny is not as simple as it seems, you need quite a few things, AND you need to retain the TCU to continue to use the ABS unit.

Off the top of my head - pedal box, clutch, flywheel, transmission housing, shifter linkage... then it depends if you go hydraulic clutch or cable clutch.

For the cost/benefit ratio, I would just sell the car and buy a manual version.

badbasser98
08-29-2006, 09:18 AM
For the cost/benefit ratio, I would just sell the car and buy a manual version.
+1

With nothing else done to the car, Huffer brings up a good point. It would be different if you already had 5k in mods...

bubaru21
08-29-2006, 01:12 PM
thats why i was looking at this option. because i am having a tuff time finding a manual version that is not wagon, because i would want to take what i have dont to mine and put it on the new car. i have projectors a GT hood and fog lights. plus audio.

Huffer
08-29-2006, 05:01 PM
thats why i was looking at this option. because i am having a tuff time finding a manual version that is not wagon, because i would want to take what i have dont to mine and put it on the new car. i have projectors a GT hood and fog lights. plus audio.

Easy to do. Just find a GT and swap the lights over.
Audio is a piece of cake as well.

bubaru21
08-29-2006, 05:24 PM
yes i know but its the gt part thats not easy.

Huffer
08-29-2006, 11:41 PM
So find a nice L, everyone thinks the 2.5 engine is weaksauce anyway... :roll:

Find a nice manual L, swap the bits over, done.

Finding a manual GT is a lot easier than converting from AT to MT.

bubaru21
08-29-2006, 11:46 PM
that is what my plan has gone to now it will just take time to get the money together.

why is it that the 2.5 is considered "weaksauce"?

Huffer
08-30-2006, 12:12 AM
why is it that the 2.5 is considered "weaksauce"?

The headgaskets are infamous for failing - though Subaru issued new versions of the headgaskets. I got lucky - 190k on original HGs.

bubaru21
08-30-2006, 11:39 AM
maybe its earlier years that do it, and the later years like 98 99 might be already equiped with the new style hgs. just a thought.

Wiscon_Mark
08-30-2006, 11:49 AM
No, they're not. Not until 2000 in the Legacy and late '99 in the Impreza RS.

bubaru21
08-30-2006, 04:49 PM
well my thought was wrong haha.

JPaul99GT
09-11-2006, 01:31 AM
yeah

<---- 99 2.5 headgaskets went boom at about 90k.

redlegacygt
09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
mine didnt go til 134,xxx... i guess it all just depends on when they want to make ur life a pain in the butt for a little bit :roll:

JKirk
09-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I wish I could make this into a feasable project. :( It would be so much more fun to drive a clutch than my boring automatic.

sheepdog
09-13-2006, 04:17 PM
start saving for a swap :twisted:

JKirk
09-13-2006, 04:26 PM

Heh, the thing is I'd probably be getting in over my head since I practically know nothing about the prices, or the parts for that matter. I could resell the automatic tranny and other parts I don't need and make back some if not most of what I would spend though, correct?

redlegacygt
09-13-2006, 04:31 PM
im 47% on spending the money to do a motor and tranny swap. The only things i would need would be sourcing a good motor, and a few helping hands :lol:

Huffer
09-13-2006, 04:49 PM

Heh, the thing is I'd probably be getting in over my head since I practically know nothing about the prices, or the parts for that matter. I could resell the automatic tranny and other parts I don't need and make back some if not most of what I would spend though, correct?

ECS will take your stock parts as core charges... call them for a quote on how much to swap out, if I had a mint GT shell I would swap out everything including the interior.

Spec up the swap, ask for a quote, start saving.

JKirk
09-13-2006, 04:54 PM
im 47% on spending the money to do a motor and tranny swap. The only things i would need would be sourcing a good motor, and a few helping hands :lol:

Ah, that's cool. I think I'm just another Scooby noob that has dreams of one day swapping but it will be a while before I have the cash to do something like that.

EDIT: Yeah, I might call up there and get a general quote but I just looked and Springfield, Massachusetts is about 14 hours from me, so factor that into the time and money and it's probably going to be up there.

sheepdog
09-13-2006, 06:10 PM
ECS did my GC8, and they do amazing work. The core charge (which I had to pay since nothing on my 93L was worth crap :lol: ) Is $500. If you think you can get more than that by parting your cars old stuff out yourself, thats the way to go.

Oh, and I did a 10 hour drive up there from DC, and again to pick it up haha.

I could help source you a motor, trans, whatever you need, for a pretty decent price.

JKirk
09-13-2006, 06:16 PM
ECS did my GC8, and they do amazing work. The core charge (which I had to pay since nothing on my 93L was worth crap :lol: ) Is $500. If you think you can get more than that by parting your cars old stuff out yourself, thats the way to go.

Oh, and I did a 10 hour drive up there from DC, and again to pick it up haha.

I could help source you a motor, trans, whatever you need, for a pretty decent price.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. My transmission has like 13K miles on it so I may be able to get more and everything is in great shape since my car actually belonged to an older adult who didn't drive it much at all. The drive would be a pain in the neck though, that's 28 hours and again to pick it back up. How long did it take for them to do all the work and how much did it end up costing?

sheepdog
09-13-2006, 08:20 PM
I hesitate to give you an estimate as to the total cost, as it varies both depending on what all they are doing and how much the parts cost you. I'd say look for labor to be around 3k for an extensive swap.

I dropped the car off with them way before my appointment because I was leaving the country for a while, so it took a little longer than usual because they didnt have a set time frame I needed it by. I'm pretty sure they do it in two weeks on average.

JKirk
09-13-2006, 08:24 PM
I hesitate to give you an estimate as to the total cost, as it varies both depending on what all they are doing and how much the parts cost you. I'd say look for labor to be around 3k for an extensive swap.

I dropped the car off with them way before my appointment because I was leaving the country for a while, so it took a little longer than usual because they didnt have a set time frame I needed it by. I'm pretty sure they do it in two weeks on average.

Yeah, I suppose everyone who says it's just better to trade in your car if its not heavily modded is correct. :lol: What I would give for a manual car like mine... *sigh*