PDA

View Full Version : What clutch & flywheel???

rallyfan
10-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi everybody,
my '98 Legacy GT is approaching 100k and my clutch is slipping, no excessive noise, just it feels like driving an automatic (sorry automatic guys). So far I got a PDM tranquil clutch sleeve repair kit, and I really do not know what clutch kit and a flywheel should I get. I'm thinking about getting an ACT Xact StreetLite flywheel and F1 Racing Stage 1 clutch kit, but somebody told me, that I should go with Exedy flywheel and ACT HD00 clutch kit which is much more expensive. What do you think? Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciate. Also, my oil pan and tranny are covered with oil, it looks like the rear main seal just let go, so now is a perfect time to do it all at once.
rallyfan.

Wiscon_Mark
10-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Exedy makes really good clutches.

I believe they also make stock.

Before going nuts on the flywheel, think about driveability. What are you going for? Track car?

95legacyl
10-31-2006, 02:13 PM
i just recently put an oem exedy clutch in and its really nice it catches great and i can even chirp 2nd now :grin: oh and it was pretty cheap i definalty recomend it

heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-SU ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-SUBARU-IMPREZA-LEGACY-OUTBACK-NEW-JDM-Clutch-Kit_W0QQitemZ150052573820QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33730QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

AussieDan
10-31-2006, 10:36 PM
I have the prostreetonline version of the streetlite flywheel: http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/pro_ ... -gc-00-st/ (http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/pro_street_flywheels/ps-gc-00-st/) . I'm very happy with it, though right now the streetlite is available for pretty much the same money.

I'm running that with a Spec Stg2+ clutch, haven't had any problems with it and it's very street-friendly.

I've got ~4500 miles on this combo so far, and would recommend both.

xcntrk75
11-01-2006, 08:31 AM
IMHO why would you buy a performance clutch kit when your car/motor is not producing extra power exceeding a stock/replacement clutch? Clutches don’t make the car quicker and if anything the more aggressive your clutch the more the drivability is reduced. Any disc compound above organic is terrible to drive as a daily driver, even some of the heavy organics are rough. My point is why force yourself to put up with these side-effects when it’s totally unwarranted by your motor setup.

Personally I would get a nice Exedy replacement clutch and get back that stock clutch feel for the next 100k miles…

AussieDan
11-02-2006, 07:24 AM
You do have a point, and when I replace the clutch in my wife's impreza you can bet it'll be getting an exedy.

That said, I went with the carbon/kevlar spec 2+ for my car because I'm intending to increase the power, and at the time I could afford to do it.

Now, if I'd used the same logic to try and justify a solid-hub multi-puck race clutch I'd be insane given the fact that the car is daily driven.

However, a more modest upgrade can actually be nicer to drive on the street (mine is) while still providing headroom for future upgrades.

xcntrk75
11-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Dude that clutch is rated at 470ft-lb… That’s more clutch then even my setup would ever need… Plenty of room to build the motor and never have to worry about overpowering the clutch…. ;)

So seriously; how is it? Get any chatter from that Kevlar disc? How’s the pedal pressure difference from the high-clamp plate? Is it difficult to easy start from a standstill? I was thinking about getting a spec clutch…

AussieDan
11-04-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm very happy with it. At the same time as the clutch I installed the 13.9lb flywheel, tranquil snout sleeve, new clutch slave cylinder and replace the stock rubber lines and damper with a 12" long braided ss line.

The end result is that the pedal feel is slightly lighter than stock, and removing all that rubber means that there is no mushiness to the pedal at the beginning of the stroke. That allowed me to adjust the pedal down to its lowest position while still retaining full stroke at the slave, and a nice engagement height.

The clutch itself is very nice to drive. At first you notice that it grabs faster than the stocker, but it's very easy to modulate once you get a feel for where the engagement point is.

I did notice a slight chatter when cold at first, but these days I don't think it chatters at all. I think my clutch technique has changed a little when pulling away from a standstill and that might have affected it.

All in all I'm very happy, it's exactly what I was looking for; higher torque capacity without any of the drivability issues of a multi-puck race clutch.