PDA

View Full Version : Sending out a distress signal

The Black Knight
06-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Hey everybody,

I have a '98 Legacy GT Limited with the EJ25. I'm looking at just over 98K miles on it and in need of a tune up. The local subaru certified shop wants to charge me almost 600 bucks to do a full tune up which includes: fluid flush of all fluids, and refill, filter replacements, break tune and check, rotar check, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm not sure I have the tools to do all this and they sound like they have the knowledge and proper mechanics to do a good job. At the same time they told me that I should think about replacing the timing belt, this is only an issue because I'm not sure if it has already been replaced. They want another $470 for that. So right there I'm looking at a grand in parts and labor. Atop of that I'm hearing some mixed opinions of the replacement of the head gaskets. I've talked to a few guys from this message board and they are saying to have them replaced, while the subaru techs that I've spoken to are telling me they shouldn't need to be replaced since my car is older than '99. Can somebody who has some truth on these topics shed some light for me?

I'm all ears and in need of urgent response, as my schedual is very packed and I have made plans to take it in to the Subaru Certified shop next week. Thanks everybody.

Reason
06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
You already know what I have to say. I would just like to add that you should slap that "Subaru Tech" in mouth.

ooberdoob
06-22-2005, 04:53 PM
your car is older than 99, that IS the problem. if you have a phase II engine your chances of blowing a head gasket are MUCH lower from what i understand, but still likely enough.

timing belt shoulda been changed at like 65,000 so thats a wise investment...

the fluids and flush and stuff you could do.

brake inspection? take the wheels off and pads out and scope things out? you can do that!

Wiscon_Mark
06-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I agree, most of the stuff you can do....more likely you should do what you can with guidance from people who will give you advice without a pricetag and then have a knowledgeble mechanic do what's left and screw the subaru techs.....The older engines are the ones that have the problem....It only makes sense that newer engines would have the bugs like that worked out, not the other way around.

Plays_with_Toys
06-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Unless the 2.5's are horribly different than the 2.2's, I don't see why the timing belt would cost that much. Mine was done for $120.

pdawg
06-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Unless the 2.5's are horribly different than the 2.2's, I don't see why the timing belt would cost that much. Mine was done for $120.
I agree, From what I remember we got our 97 2.5 OB done for well under $200. It sounds like these guy's are really stuck on the "Subaru Certified" part of there name.

Tris_STi
06-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Get your fucking manual, and a more knowledgeable friend, and dig in there.. it's not hard, unless you have a Chilton Manual. That wasn't meant to be as short as it sounded, it's just that Subaru themselves would be grandly insulted to hear that the engine they designed to be easily maintenanced by the home mechanic is being taken to a shop and charged a good percentage of the car's net worth to fix.
You can do all the 'tune up' by yourself in your driveway, with the car on jacks --it's incredibly easy. In fact, if you need directions for any of that, (even the timing belt :roll:) I'll write it up for you personally, step by step with all the little nuances. It'd be great to add to our knowledge base anyway.