PDA

View Full Version : OMGHI2U NOOB!!!

endlessMyk
07-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Hey everybody, I'm new to the whole Subaru world, have always had an interest in them, well now my girlfriend picked up a 1998 Subaru Legacy L AWD. Just trying to figure out how to start out with it, she wants to do some mild performance and some aesthetic, just to give it some more pick-up and some nice looks to go with it. It's not gonna be recieving an engine swap... :( I personally have a 94 Talon TSI, that's my car love, but I look forward to the experience I'll be getting on a new platform. If you guys can give me some direction it'd be much appreciated.

Reason
07-03-2005, 04:33 AM
Welcome to SLi, suspension work is always a good start. Power is nothing without control. More power is always tempting. Get a set of KYB GR2 struts and H&R springs. It will give you a nice drop and handling a lot better. Upgrade your brakes and do some exhaust work. The options are there, it just a matter if the cash is there to back it up.

The TSi is a nice car, my friend just sold his this past winter. He had over 20k under the hood alone. It was by far a flashy car, It was gutted and set up for drag.

endlessMyk
07-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Here's the link to my cardomain page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/687180

It's got a ported exhaust manifold, 2.5 ported O2 housing, 2.5 downpipe, 3" hi-flo cat, 3" cat-back, lucas 550 injectors, walbro 190 fuel pump, 2g throttle body elbow, 2.25" uicp, 14b turbo with 7cm turbine housing upgrade, magnecore wires, ngk plugs, K&N filter, apexi s-afc, SRP mbc, ACT 2100 clutch, autometer boost, egt and a/f gauges, TPM drilled/Slotted rotors, apex 1.8 lowering springs, amer racing 16s

She doesn't really want to lower it, we live in PA and the roads here suck ass. I might be able to talk her into a small drop, but nothing major. I've noticed a lot of you guys have the swaps done, know of any forums that focus on the legacy without the swap?

Pwise2326
07-03-2005, 04:39 PM
This one! The majority of us don't have swaps (yet for a few), and there a quite a few members with 2.2's that can tell you what they've done and what they would've done differently for mild performance mods. Definately follow the suspension, brakes, power route. You don't have to go crazy with lowering, just get some GR-2's, and a set of springs (there are a couple companies out there that make them with only a 1 inch drop. Get some upgraded sway bars and endlinks, maybe a whiteline or perrin ALK, some carbotech pads/rotors, ss brake lines, -- now go for power: headers (borla, twe), stromung high-flow cat, stromung/scoobysport, borla, cobb, etc etc catback. Try to keep away from hks or apexi or other ricer/import brands that have fart-can mufflers, this is a Subaru and that boxer engine needs to be heard! There's a writeup on how to do a DIY cold air intake which costs almost nothing, and other than that there are a couple other things and she should be all set. Welcome to SLI!

endlessMyk
07-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Hey, I've got an Apex'i S-afc.... callin me ricce? LOL

Anyway, I checked the DIY and either I'm blind or the write-up for the intake isn't there. If you can point me in the right direction, that'd be sweet.

Wiscon_Mark
07-04-2005, 11:32 PM
http://www.4agtoys.com/SUBARULEGACY/viewtopic.php?t=173
You have to read through some of the earlier stuff first...then you get to the juicy bits. actually, just scroll until you see Pwise's first post, that should be where the snorkusectomy begins.
Welcome to the boards!

(you get to see my n00bishness in this post as it was one of my first :D )