PDA

View Full Version : TMIC on a BD?

grayguy
05-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone on here is running a WRX (or other) TMIC on thier BD? I've seen pics of it before, but I was hoping someone could give a little detail on how they got it to fit.

MoclovFlop
05-06-2007, 11:48 PM
I hope you're turbo....otherwise I don't know what you think it'll do for you.

StatGSR
05-06-2007, 11:54 PM
yes hes going turbo with a 22t + dohc 2.5 heads and a td05

grayguy
05-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Do you think I'm retarded? Yes, I'm building a turbo motor.

MoclovFlop
05-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Yea, I thought you were retarded, there are a lot of people out there who think they can use it as cold air or something, and i've never heard anything about your turbo setup so sorry.

grayguy
05-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Yea, I thought you were retarded, there are a lot of people out there who think they can use it as cold air or something, and i've never heard anything about your turbo setup so sorry.

Lol, it's ok. No hard feelings.

MoclovFlop
05-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Word, good luck on the swap.

sheepdog
05-07-2007, 12:56 AM
xcntrk75 had one for a while, if you can find an old picture of his BD. he has a fmic now.

Plays_with_Toys
05-07-2007, 08:15 AM
If I remember right it is a super tight fit and involves some bending of the mounting tabs and you'll have a tough time finding a front strut bar (if you have one).

Reason
05-07-2007, 08:53 AM
If I remember right it is a super tight fit and involves some bending of the mounting tabs and you'll have a tough time finding a front strut bar (if you have one).

Or you can find a TMIC from a Forester FXT like what I have. I also just got a EJ22T and will be doing a swap in a BD sometime in the not so near future. I will be using the FXT TMIC and Theres no need for banging your fire wall. I fell it's pointless to do a larger TMIC when I don't plan on running high HP. If you were, the best bet would be a FMIC.

Huffer
05-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Kraziken has a functional hood scoop.

redlegacygt
05-07-2007, 09:43 AM

but i believe his is a wrx scoop that was put into a BD hood from a rally car... atleast i think i read that somewhere..

Huffer
05-07-2007, 09:48 AM

but i believe his is a wrx scoop that was put into a BD hood from a rally car... atleast i think i read that somewhere..

But I believe we are talking about TMICs, not hoodscoops.

If his hood is functional, he has a TMIC.

Reason
05-07-2007, 09:53 AM
But with large TMIC like the STi and larger aftermarkets like Perrin's you need to bang in the fire way a bit. Like an inch or two. I think same thing with a wrx TMIC.

Without have to ruin any thing you can go with a TMIC from a FXT or a Saab 900 IC and make it a TMIC. If you don't plan on running too much power I would go with either one of those 2.

Quick edit, I think Perrins TMIC is too large for the BD, I'm not sure.

malstew
05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
The stock WRX intercooler with a WRX engine fits perfectly without any modification.

I now have a USDM STI intercooler in there and all I had to do was "modify" (with a rubber mallet) the hood a little bit to get it to fit in without rubbing. Also, I had to make sure that the IC was pulled as far forward as possible so that it did't rub the firewall.

If you are will to modify the mounting brackets to move the STI IC forward a little bit then the IC would probably fit perfectly.

redlegacygt
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM

But I believe we are talking about TMICs, not hoodscoops.

If his hood is functional, he has a TMIC.

read it wrong, my bad :oops: .

grayguy
05-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Well I have a WRX TMIC and I think it will fit. I know for sure that the cruise control thing has to move, and I may have to "adjust" part of the firewall. when I was tryign to get it in there it just didn't look like there was gonna be enough room for the Y-pipe, it looked like it was gona hit the pitch stop.

bakergtt
05-07-2007, 11:24 AM
If you can get a hold of a Spearco in the right size it will fit.

Mine is 19x9x2.5

grayguy
05-07-2007, 11:27 AM
well basically, I'm trying to use the WRX one cause it was cheap. If I end up having to buy an aftermarket one, I'm probably just gonna go fmic, since I'll need one eventually any way.

auspex
05-07-2007, 11:34 AM
doesn't the 2.2 have more room than the 2.5 b/w the firewall and the motor?

i'm considering the 2.2t swap as well and would like to run the STi tmic....mostly because it looks sick.

Reason, what kind of power levels are you hoping to achieve? I've had a hard time trying to figure out what are the real, reliable capabilities of the 2.2t. Also, what is affordable....

mike

Huffer
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
doesn't the 2.2 have more room than the 2.5 b/w the firewall and the motor?

No. The block is the same size. it's the displacement that makes it smaller.

grayguy
05-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Reason, what kind of power levels are you hoping to achieve? I've had a hard time trying to figure out what are the real, reliable capabilities of the 2.2t. Also, what is affordable....

mike

For now I'm only looking for 200ish Whp because I can't afford a new tranny atm. One of my friends is making 300whp easy on his ej22t, but he bas an STI tranny. I plan on eventaully getting one of those, or running PPG gear sets in a wrx case (they are about the same $ wise)

These blocks are near indestuctable. There's a guy over at bbs.legacycentral.org that's been running 25-30psi on his stock bottom end for like 2 years. Same guy tried killing one on purpose: he ran 30+psi to 8-9K rpm's around a road course for 30min before he killed it.

Balancing seems to be key to big numbers in this motor though. I know of a guy in MN that toasted his motor after 500 miles. My friend had his balanced at 3 differnt shops just to be certain it was perfect.

Sarra
05-07-2007, 06:22 PM
I replaced my radiator with a TMIC.

Okay, maybe not.

The 2.2 really does take up less space in the engine bay... Compared a friend's 1996 2.2 to my 1998 2.5, there's definatly a lot more stuff in the 2.5 motors.

Cajual
05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
guess nobody remembers that I'm swapped :smile:

Pic with stock WRX intercooler:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/08/07JPG-1.jpg

StatGSR
05-07-2007, 09:51 PM
^ thanks you Cajual!!!!

Plays_with_Toys
05-07-2007, 09:55 PM

Yeah right... I call photoshop on that one. :roll:

:lol:

grayguy
05-07-2007, 11:05 PM

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/08/07JPG-1.jpg

What all did you have to move/modify to get that to fit?

malstew
05-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I have the same thing as cajual-- it fits... you don't have to modify anything unless you go to a larger top-mount IC.

Malcolm

Kraziken
05-08-2007, 12:51 PM

I originally had the stock BD hood with the STI TMIC.

I took a picture a while ago of the hood closed. It is a tight squeeze.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/05/DSCN0151-1.jpg

Cajual
05-09-2007, 01:24 AM
What all did you have to move/modify to get that to fit?

As malstew said... the stock intercooler fits with no modifications (with the ej20).

Photoshop? :-?

grayguy
05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Well I was trying to get my WRX one in my car yesterday. The 2.5 is still in the car, but since those are the heads/intake mani that I'm using, it should be the same as when the 2.2 short block is in there. I don't want to bash my fire wall at all, and I'm not sure it would fit even if i did. The pitch stop is kinda where the Y-pipe wants/needs to be. All the lines on the firewall back there would need to mov, and possibly the AC lines. Plus even with taking the Y-pipe out, the hood wont close all the way (sits about 4inches open in the front) and you have to push the thing closed. I don't want to bend my hood, so a FMIC is looking better and better each day...

Huffer
05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
That's why though - the intake manifold is different on the WRX.

grayguy
05-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Well This thingt definetly isn't gonna work...So anyone have more pics of a FMIC setup on a LGT? Possibly with the bumper cover off?