PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Fitment

jmgtp
05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I ran a search, but the search feature doesn't even remotely work for me. The query "speaker install" limited to the interiors/accessory section turned up every topic you can imagine from a broad range of forums. So my bad if this has been brought up a billion times before.

I do recall something along the lines of most aftermarket speakers having difficulty fitting in the Subaru doors due to interference with the window. Is this true? It is an 01 GT Sedan if that makes a difference.

I would like to upgrade but don't want to purchase something that won't fit. Crutchfield has a buy one get one deal going now for polk speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-22sk25Bbhj ... p?cID=4351 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-22sk25Bbhjj/cgi-bin/ProdColl.asp?cID=4351)

Are the front and rear speaker both 6.5" diameter? Will any 6.5" fit or is there a max depth? Are adapter brackets needed to space the speaker further from the window?

Lastly, how difficult is the install. Do the door panels need to come off or does the speaker grill pop off (I admit I haven't even looked at the car yet). I'd rather not pull the door panel since it can only lead to rattles down the road.

Thanks!

Huffer
05-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Pretty much any 6.5" diameter cone will fit - the PITA is the magnet depth.
Any of the larger magnet cones will require a spacer, which then creates problems with the door cards.

35TH
05-31-2007, 01:12 AM
On my 04 the fronts were not an issue the rears on the other hand are giving me a headache. I'm having major issues with the door card.

studum
06-21-2007, 12:59 PM
I installed Infinity Reference series with no clearance issues using no spacers in the front. It's damn close but no rubbing ever aand my tint's not scratched.

Rear I used the oem spacers (slightly modified) to clear the window.

I have the components up front and coaxs in the rear. They sound great amplified.

BE-Fresh
07-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Not to thread jack... but how exactly do you get to the speakers in each of the doors? I'm thinking of upgrading to an aftermarket headunit and figured I'd get a set of speakers also

Huffer
07-13-2007, 08:00 AM
take the door trim screws out, pop the door interior off.

deadlydave
07-13-2007, 10:49 AM
It's quick and easy. Once you pop the door off, literally, the speaker screws are really obvious. Like Huffer said, magnet depth is something to watch out for. I have a friend with an Outback Limited that can't roll down their front windows all the way :lol: .

theboyo19
07-18-2007, 11:54 PM
i have alpine s-types in my front doors and the windows dont go all the way down .. im gonna make some spacers soon to push the speakers out a little bit more .. depending on the speaker brand u might have more trouble than others.
i had boston acoustics in the front and i had about 4 inches of window sticking up.. kinda annoying .. u just gotta remember that they are there and be careful.. (and dont let ur friends push the window all the way down :roll: )

Bimmerman
07-19-2007, 09:38 AM
I have 6.5" focals in all the doors and my windows are fine. I had cartoys do the install, so they may have put spacers on. The speakers themselves are pretty big, with huge magnets. I'll pop the door panel off when I get home to check on that.

dodik
07-19-2007, 11:22 AM
kenwoods in the front sony explode in the rear had them in my BD with no issues and now in my BE no issues as well.

Huffer
07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
kenwoods in the front sony explode in the rear had them in my BD with no issues and now in my BE no issues as well.

Again, it's not the manufacturer. It's the individual MAGNET depth that matters.

subba
07-19-2007, 10:25 PM

Again, it's not the manufacturer. It's the individual MAGNET depth that matters.

He's Right
http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=4834

TRUBLU
07-20-2007, 10:37 PM
not to be a pain in the arse. But the speaker size isn't actually 6.5"...it's 6" but try finding a 6" speaker here in the US! Most 6.5" speakers will fit where a 6" came out of.....Just some useless essential information for you.

Huffer
07-21-2007, 11:12 AM
The speaker size in my 98 GT wagon is 6.5" front AND rear.
speaker size in my 98 GT sedan is 6.5" front and 5.25" rear parcel shelf.

JBearSVT
01-19-2008, 11:27 AM
not to be a pain in the arse. But the speaker size isn't actually 6.5"...it's 6" but try finding a 6" speaker here in the US! Most 6.5" speakers will fit where a 6" came out of.....Just some useless essential information for you.

Actually, Boston makes a very nice 6" speaker that's readily available here in the US... at least where I live.

)2edline
01-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Huffer Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:12 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The speaker size in my 98 GT wagon is 6.5" front AND rear.
speaker size in my 98 GT sedan is 6.5" front and 5.25" rear parcel shelf.

From Crutchfield, does this mean it's basing its sizing straight off the wagon only?

So BD Sedan's run 6.5" front and 5.25" rear shelf? =\