PDA

View Full Version : Custom Exhaust Vs. Borla

redlegacygt
07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
I've finally decided that i want to change the exhaust setup on my car but now im not sure which would be better. There is a garage down the street from my house that will do the exhaust work for 100 bucks plus the muffler... so i guess my question is, do i have them do the work and buy a good muffler, or do i just go and buy a whole borla exhaust?

Tris_STi
07-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Buy whatever your wallet allows and your heart desires.

scottzg
07-25-2005, 02:54 PM
the main advantage of the borla is it's made with mandrel bends, where the shop will probably use crimp bends. The shop can do mandrel, but it will prolly cost more. The borla might also be made with a higher grade steel.

gator gt
07-25-2005, 08:46 PM
yeah, try STAINLESS STEEL. I have a Borla. Not sure what model it is, cause the first owner put it on. According to my sister, its a deep sounding muffler. I can't comment on its street sound as I've never let anyone else drive it; Except the Subie techs at the dealership. so I wouldn't know what it sounds like under load. I can tell you, when they start it in the tech bays, you know it from inside the showroom. Only other car that could do that is an STi.....but they have a better rumble.

Its not obnoxious, or my sister would tell me....parents too. It does a light pop n' backfire during shifts and under decleration.

I'm keeping it for the swap and will see what it sounds like after adding the turbo. I'm thinking of changing the tip to something a little smaller though. First owner wasn't ghetto....but this tip is.

Can't beat stainless steel and a million mile warranty.

GGT

redlegacygt
07-26-2005, 01:09 PM
yeah the stainless steel and warranty were definetly a plus on the borla's side.. I think i might end up going with the borla just to know if anything happens i have less of a chance of dealing with bs.. so if i decide on getting the borla? is there any specific thing i should get, or where its the cheapest?

redlegacygt
07-26-2005, 01:40 PM
i just found one for $286.40 at speedyperformance.com... is this the right model and a good price?

http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/b ... tem_z.html (http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/borla_su_legacy_exhaust-system_z.html)

gator gt
07-26-2005, 07:20 PM
:?

Don't know. It says 2.5GT. I'm guessing thats it. Call Borla. Check it against their product line. Ask them if this Speedy Parts site is a authorized dealer.

GGT

belladonna
07-26-2005, 07:23 PM
if it's hte unequal borla header, those are made to fit the 2.2 and 2.5...i have one and i love it 8)

redlegacygt
07-27-2005, 10:34 AM
i used there online help and the guy on there said its an exact fit and that it was a borla. but i think im still going to call borla and double check.

badbasser98
09-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Did you ever find out from Borla what the deal was with that performance place?

redlegacygt
09-05-2005, 11:18 AM
yeah they said that its not a place that they have on their dealer list, but it could be a wholesale place. I talked to the performance parts place and they said the borla products they sell are 100% Borla. The exhaust i found their was actually labeled wrong, it was actually the headers.