PDA

View Full Version : BE premium speakers vs. everything else

JLav211
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Hey guys,

I searched, but couldn't find a topic specific to this request. I have the upgraded speakers in my '03, which to be fair, I've always found to be satisfactory if not pretty decent (I am not an audiophile). However, I've got a gift card to Crutchfield and would like to grab some new speakers. My concern is I'll pull out the premium speakers and find that a new set of Pioneers or Kenwoods won't sound as good - are my concerns unfounded? Am I just waaaay too easily impressed by my stock speakers? Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

badbasser98
10-24-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure what to say... I was immediately disgusted with the stock speakers. They sounded flat and muddy.

I would have to believe any aftermarket speaker will provide better sound. Although that would be with an aftermarket stereo as well. You might be able to get away with using the OE radio, but aren't going to get the full benefit of upgraded speakers. Not to mention that you could ruin either the speakers or the stock radio depending on the tolerances of each.

I'd vote for JL. I have them in my BE and had them in my BD... They have great range for a 6.5" round. Pair them with some OEM tweeters and a single sub for full range and you are set :wink: (of course, they work fine by themselves as well)

dodik
10-25-2007, 08:44 AM
i had the upgraded speakers in my car and they didnt sound too bad but aftermarket sound way better even with oem unit, but when you buy aftermarket ones make sure you buy something good, i havent researched anything about audio in a while and dont really know what to recommend. i have front kenwood and rear sony and they do the trick for me.

Huffer
10-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Aren't the OEM speakers paper cones?
A more rubber based cone will give better reproduction as it allows the woofer to flex more, which means more dynamic range.

Aftermarket tweeters aren't a bad move either, and silk ones allow for more mellow tones, while the harder material tweeters give a brighter tone.

rougeben83
11-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Following what I did, I would go with an aftermarket headunit first before going with speakers all over again... the stock speakers performed better (fuller sound) with even a cheap pioneer HU than the stock one.

Then I would go with some speakers.

Yes, the stock speakers are paper - even the premium ones.

BTW, with some forcing, you can use BD tweeters on the BE :wink:

yotabeater
12-02-2007, 02:25 AM
x2 for getting a deck first. i have the pioneer 5900 that has a 7-band eq built in and i love it. a good deck can make probably the single biggest difference in how your stuff sounds.

of course, if you go with aftermarket speakers, make sure they don't need a lot of rms wattage if you plan on running them off of deck power, otherwise it will sound horrible. i had a nice pioneer hu with really nice jbl component speakers, and they actually sounded worse than the factory speakers because they needed more power than the deck could put out. i am now fully amped and will never run speakers off deck power again. PERIOD. then again, i'm an audiophile.

check out memphis if you want good speakers and amps, mid-level pioneer decks have good eq's and crossovers, and eclipse decks have very high voltage pre-outs for your amps (cleaner signal), which honestly, if i had it all to do over again, i would have splurged more on a head unit (the eclipse one i wanted was $500, the pioneer one i got was $220). live and learn.