PDA

View Full Version : MUFFLER

SICK-92-AWD
09-01-2005, 09:35 PM
HEY, I'VE GOT A 92 GX LIBERTY (LEGACY IN OTHER COUNTRIES) AND I AM RUNNING ON A TIGHT BUDGET BECAUSE OF MY TIGHT BOSS. ANYWAYS, I WAS WONDERING IF THE CAR WOULD SOUND ANY GOOD IF I WAS TO PUT A CANNON WITH 3-4INCH OUTLET ONTO THE STOCK CAT-BACK PIPE (THE CUSTOM PIPE WAS GONNA COST 200). WHEN USING ENGINE BRAKING THE CAR MAKES SIMILAR SOUND TO A WRX, WILL THIS JUST BE AMPLIFIED BY THE CANNON OR WILL I BE GETTING A DIFFERENT TONE OF SOUND?
[/img]

Wiscon_Mark
09-01-2005, 10:30 PM
definitely a different tone of sound. Instead of a deep rumble, it would be hi-pitched weed whacker sound. I don't think you would like it, and some people will probably criticise you much more strongly than I am.

Turbos don't have much backpressure, so they don't sound very loud, regardless of the muffler. you would NOT get a WRX sound at all.

Go with a good muffler like Borla or Stromung, not fart cans, please ;)

ooberdoob
09-01-2005, 10:36 PM
first off, hit that damn caps lock key and turn it off.

and second, don't put a lame ass cannon on it.

the tip is only as good as the rest of the pipe, so if you have 2.25" midpipe and all, then to get a tip will simply sound like a typical honda.

you have a subaru, i would think you know better.

spend your money on a used scoobysport, or a cheap borla if you can find it. those will make you mess your pants as far as sound is concerned.

gator gt
09-01-2005, 10:36 PM
+1 for the borla.

I like mine. Its got a deep sound to it, and pops and backfires when you let off the gas.....or after you've already let off the gas and get back on it.

No weedy whackers here.

GGT

SICK-92-AWD
09-01-2005, 10:48 PM
hahaha, to tell u the truth never heard of a borla over here, is it a full system? and how much would i be looking at? i still like the look of the big can at the back :D

Wiscon_Mark
09-01-2005, 10:54 PM
well, you must not be as biased as us because we see those cans on ebay and the back of civics all the time, and they aren't attractive at all.

Borla is a very good stainless steel exhaust systems maker, and they make mufflers, axle-backs, and catbacks for all sorts of cars in the states. I don't know if they make a catback for the Legacy (they do for the impreza) but you can get a good borla universal muffler for a good price and get a good exhaust shop to do custom piping and get it for much less than a cat back.

You will like the deep tones of borla and stromung much better than the high whinniness of a fart can.

Trust me. I have lots of posts :lol:

Actually, listen to Gator, and Pwise (hasn't posted yet, I'm sure he will), they know their stuff. And I know they'll back me up on this.

Go to the exhaust clips sticky above this thread and listen to Belladonna's exhaust. That's borla headers, a hi-flow cat, custom piping, and a Borla Muffler. It's awesome :twisted:

ooberdoob
09-01-2005, 11:01 PM
wow i just realized how much of a tool i sounded like. too much like tristan.

sorry about that man, the fart cannon thing got me a little flared up.

do take the time to look up borla exhausts. i heard one on a WRX last sunday that made me weak in the knees :lol:

if you plan it right you will get all kinda of looks from people wondering whats that ol thing got in it!?

scoobysport's new name is like hayes and something, can i get a hand on that?

good luck bro

gator gt
09-03-2005, 08:46 PM
You really want to whore it up in terms of unique exhaust notes....get the Borla SS headers and Borla SS muffler....that combo will give you a distinct Boxer rumble. And gives a little kick in the pants....

If you get the headers, look for generation or version 4, as that is the latest and greatest iteration of the pipes/construction.

Stromung is very good too....haven't used them, or heard them, but they get all sorts of praise from folks over here.

Try eBay or look up some vendors here in the states for Borla products....You may pay a little bit more for shipping to you in OZ, but you'll have some rare stuff on your hands considering where you are.

GGT

PS Thanks Mark.