PDA

View Full Version : Everybody look up under your dash!

filter27e
09-23-2005, 12:30 AM
First off, I let my GF's sister borrow my camera for college so I don't have any pics, but I'm kinda wondering what exactly it's supposed to look like under the dash of my 98 L. I have several wiring harnesses not connected to anything, and more computer-looking boxes than a space shuttle. I mean I could see if absolutely everything had it's own computer it would make sense, like ECU, BCM(?), ABS, Airbags... and that's about all I can think of.

But the main reason I'm so curious.... well is because I'm just that way but the other day I was adjusting my belt so it would stop squeeking when suddenly I noticed a little plunger switch set up to go when my hood is open. I thought oh that looks just like the ones that come with alarms... then I notice the siren mounted to my firewall. WTF?? I never noticed it before and the dealer sure didn't mention an alarm. I traced the wires and looks like they were cut on the inside so the previous owner removed the brains of the alarm but I just want to make sure because I'm not sure how many boxes are supposed to be under there.

Jonathan
09-23-2005, 04:47 AM
I have several wiring harnesses not connected to anything, and more computer-looking boxes than a space shuttle.You probably have a few options that were never chequed off when you car was first purchased from your dealer.

For instance the "Cold Weather Package" that involve electrically heated SEATS and SIDEVIEW MIRRORS, or the SIX channel stereo with rear speakers, and cute little "tweaters" on the front top of the front door panels, or the FRONT mounted FOG lights Cute little largely useless 55-watt do-hickies just under the front bumper corners.

Its my understanding that Subaru felt it was perhaps cheaper to develope ONE universal wiring harness, and if time of puchase the customer says "Gee, I really want those nifty fog lights that the more expensive models have" the salesrep can answer "Sure, no problem", and just tack on a few more bucks to the purchase price. ...All the grease monkeies have to do is to "plug in" the FOG LIGHT kit (5 minutes work) and you are $400 less wealthy.

Being an "L" you likely do not have to worry too much about your moon roof not working, not hearing sound from your tweaters, or not feeling the rumble from your sub-woofer simply because these OPTIONS were likely never installed on your car.

On the other hand it does appear that your car did infact at one time have an anti-theft device that may have been slightly hyper-active, and therefore DISABLED so as not to wake the owners up in the middle of the night because the wind is blowing.

Be thankfull for what you don't have.

Huffer
09-23-2005, 10:21 AM
My GT came with a non-working keyless remote. 5mins after leaving the car yard, I found the black box under the dash, plugged in the power and voila. Keyless entry.

Woohoo!

gator gt
09-23-2005, 01:14 PM
There are several connections that WON'T have accessories or options plugged into them....they are for diagnostics.

There are 2 green 2pin connections....don't plug those in or you'll be sorry. The Techies know what to do with those.

Then there is a small multi pin black connector and a 12-14 pin grey connection that are used for diagnostics as well.

You may have an extra connector by the brake pedal. There are two that are wired in: one for just the brake light, and another for brakes and if your car has cruise. The non-cruise has 2 pins, cruise option is a 4 pin connection to your brake pedal.

If you find someone with a wiring diagram for the 98, then you can follow start diciphering the wire colors and what their function is at the connector; and what the connector plugs into.

No, I don't have a 98 wiring diagram. You can also download an entire FSM for your year car at http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp great stuff here....I picked up the wiring diagrams for the 03 WRX wiring that I had to sift through. Good stuff! yes, it costs money, but well worth it if you like to know whats going on in your car, or are planning a swap.

GGT

jey
09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
I have a 98 wiring diagram. If you're curious, PM me.

Wiscon_Mark
09-23-2005, 06:16 PM
There are 2 green 2pin connections....don't plug those in or you'll be sorry. The Techies know what to do with those.

ooops...good thing I didn't start the car, huh? I turned it to the "on" position and it chirped at me. I turned it off immediately, and my curiosity vanished in that instant as to what all that stuff was :shock:

filter27e
09-25-2005, 09:26 AM
hahaha mark, the curiosity police smacked you on the hand huh? And yeah I was actually really hoping that's what all of those nifty, easyily accessible plugs were, because if I ever decide to add fog lights or something than it's not like I have to splice it all in myself. I'm also trying to figure out why I have a wiring harness under my seat.... just two leads that appears to plug into my seat even though I have no power seats or heated seats. Hmm...

My car isn't completely barren of options, even though I think it was standard I have power d/l, windows, mirrors, i have cruise.... and i think that's about it. I mean the damn thing came with a tape-deck! :shock:

Wiscon_Mark
09-25-2005, 09:46 AM
hahaha mark, the curiosity police smacked you on the hand huh?

I'm also trying to figure out why I have a wiring harness under my seat.... just two leads that appears to plug into my seat even though I have no power seats or heated seats. Hmm...

Yes, they did :lol:

I noticed that too. What legacy are you driving?

filter27e
09-26-2005, 09:05 AM
A 1998 L sedan. And after posting that I figured out later that it just goes into the seatbelt, for the seatbelt light I guess. Darn, nothing exciting. I was hoping for some sort of driver weight detection sensor that I could program to just my body weight or it won't start! Yeah well I can hope can't I....

Wiscon_Mark
09-26-2005, 07:08 PM
that would be cool.

Are newer Subarus doing that???

filter27e
09-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Not that I'm aware of. I remember hearing something on TV a few years ago about them testing the idea, it was either for alarms and/or power seat driver memory. Best alarm I've ever seen though was a guy with a low-rider s-10 pickup, where the alarm was wired into his airbag setup so if the alarm went off it dropped the truck to the ground---not going anywhere! ... And in the morning he wakes to see his truck with a broken window and some guy with his foot pinned under the rocker panel.... lol.

Or then there's always the flame throwers that they put on cars in south africa..... hmmm anyways.