PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallon fuel gauge

RABID_SUB
10-07-2005, 12:58 PM
My fuel gauge only reads the top 10 gallons off my tank. Is this common? I believe I have a 15 gal. tank, would that be corect for a 96 Legacy? If it realy is my gauge, is it its own componant or is it part of the fuel pump? If its on the pump, witch pump? :violent2:

shazapple
10-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Its probably the gauge. Some of them can be pretty inaccurate. Not sure theres really anything you can do about it.

You probably have a 15.9 gallon tank, and the gas light comes on when you have 2-3 gallons left.

RABID_SUB
10-07-2005, 02:59 PM
awsome. I never evn had the light come on. also never had to put in more than 12 gallons in it.

JjSwee
10-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Bahahaha. I was about to make a post about this, but i'll just post here.

I been dirt poor lately, and waiting very anxiously for my first paycheck next friday. Getting to the point, I been driving to and from work under E, literally.

I did the test for all of you. I was really low (light turned on and drove several miles), put 10 dollars in the car, it brought me a little below E or on it (after 3 or so gallons, 2.75/gal). I reset the odometer and kept an eye on it. I pass 100 miles, I pass 110. I go grab lunch and try to merge onto a highway, the car stutters and almost stalls (yes, when merging). I quickly turn around to the gas station and fill up.

There ya have it guys. When you get to E, you have another 100 miles. and BTW, when you drive to work under E every day, you will drive so economical its not even funny. I merge slow, I stay in the slow lane, and barely do 5 above the speed limit.

Disclaimer: I assume no responsibility when you run outta gas on the side of the road.

gator gt
10-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Splendid research work Jj....just splendid.

:lol:

way to take one for the team.

Thats about right. I've noticed that after my light goes on, when I go to fill 'er up, I can put in around 12 gal (+/-). This would mean that if you were miserly (conservative) with your right foot, you could eek out another 100 miles cause there is just under 4 gal left.....if you average 25mpg...there is your ~100 miles left.

GGT

Wiscon_Mark
10-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Bahahaha. I was about to make a post about this, but i'll just post here.

I been dirt poor lately, and waiting very anxiously for my first paycheck next friday. Getting to the point, I been driving to and from work under E, literally.

I did the test for all of you. I was really low (light turned on and drove several miles), put 10 dollars in the car, it brought me a little below E or on it (after 3 or so gallons, 2.75/gal). I reset the odometer and kept an eye on it. I pass 100 miles, I pass 110. I go grab lunch and try to merge onto a highway, the car stutters and almost stalls (yes, when merging). I quickly turn around to the gas station and fill up.

There ya have it guys. When you get to E, you have another 100 miles. and BTW, when you drive to work under E every day, you will drive so economical its not even funny. I merge slow, I stay in the slow lane, and barely do 5 above the speed limit.

Disclaimer: I assume no responsibility when you run outta gas on the side of the road.

This post looks familiar ;) Subject line: How low can you go? :D

I think it is actually the senders because the guage USED to be accurate. At least before the car sat doing nothing for 4 months...

Mine reads the same, I hit "1/4 tank" at about 8 gallons used, and about "E" at 10 gallons used...

gator gt
10-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Thats something I've noticed....the speed of how fast the fuel gauge goes down.

From Full to 3/4 full, it takes forever...

From 3/4 to 1/4 full it flies!

Then from 1/4 to E (light on) it seems to take more time than .75-.25, but less time than F-.75.

weird.

GGT

jey
10-09-2005, 11:16 AM
I've noticed that too. It's almost like it doesn't move off of the F until you've used up a gallon or two.

ivwarrior
03-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Ok, I was "digging around the attic" and found this thread. For anyone still curious, or anyone new who searches, it's most likely the senders. At least in the models I worked on when I was in the dealership. Did quite a few, and there's two, one on each side of the driveshaft, since the tank wraps around it. Access panels make it a fairly easy, straightforward job, but I don't think it was cheap, can't remember exact pricing anymore.

I've never owned a Subaru where the gas guage functioned properly (never owned one with less than 100k miles on it, either) so I'm quite used to "always fill it up and reset the trip odometer". When mine hits E, I've still got quite a bit more than 100 miles of driving before I need gas. I think mine hits E around 50-80 miles on the tank. If my wife complains about it, and I get around to fixing hers, I'll try and get some pics. She hasn't complained about it though, and just does the "always fill up and reset the trip odo" thing, too.

Wiscon_Mark
03-09-2006, 11:00 PM
well, mine didn't used to be accurate, it only read about 10 gallons, but it has been very accurate since I put seafoam in the tank. It's either coincidence, or seafoam cleaned up something in the tank. Either way, I have an accurate guage that hits 8 at the midway point, like it's supposed to :)