PDA

View Full Version : did you know?

jlk2.5gt
10-08-2005, 09:44 AM
i have found out through a few sources that legacy/imprezza suspension parts are for the most interchangeable, the only parts i have know are different are the rear sway bar itself, and rear crossmember have that bend in them to clear the gas tank in the legacy.

Wiscon_Mark
10-08-2005, 10:39 AM
yep, scottzg is our suspension master here, and I have learned much of this from him.

the only thing that really isn't good to switch (suspension wise) from the GC (93-01) imprezas to the 1st and 2nd gen legacies is the springs because the load-bearing is different and the Legacy is heavier. 90-92 Legacy swaybars were a bit different too, IIRC.

jlk2.5gt
10-09-2005, 06:53 AM
i did not know that. i am a nissan / honda tech for years, and have a good rapore with the local subaru techs, and parts guys. plus where i order my performance parts clued me in on some more about the part interchangeability of imprezzs / legacy's.

mark, you near the mad town????

scottzg
10-09-2005, 11:38 AM
im running GC impreza (*edit* front) springs in the front and back and gc impreza struts. gN top mounts too, although they are dimensionally the same as the impreza parts. Some people have cut that bar out so they can run the later impreza swaybar. I don't see the point since you can pull an 18mm off a turbo legacy or a air-ride car, and larger than that has plenty of aftermarket options.

I think that 300zx brakes could be used on a subaru if you found rotors that would work, i haven't found anyone to confirm though. The rear differential is a datsun r160, an r180 on the wrx, and a r200 on the sti. We share some switches and knobs with honda and nissan. The three marques (esp. nissan and sub, who have some shared roots) seem to share part bins a bit.

jlk2.5gt
10-09-2005, 12:13 PM
thanks for the info

noza
12-30-2005, 06:39 AM
there are so close that i have impreza strut braces in my legacy

the spring rates are different between the two. also the spring mounts on the impreza front struts are slightly different so installing impreza struts on a legacy will actually lift the car slightly in the front. very minor, though
;-)