PDA

View Full Version : LHD-RHD

GTDrifter
11-29-2008, 11:25 PM
ok is it possible for someone to switch their car from a left hand drive to a right hand drive themselves if they have a donor car (one that is already rhd)?

i was at a junkyard and found a rhd bd wagon and it got me thinkin

how much work would it be and how would i go about doing so?

Huffer
11-30-2008, 07:38 AM
You have to swap the steering rack, dash and everything under the dash basically has to be flipped to the other side - you may have to drill out new holes in the firewall accommodate accessories. You'll also need new wiring harness for the front doors as your switches are on the wrong side... new wing mirrors with RHD glass as the convex glass on your existing passenger mirror doesn't work as a drivers mirror.

Engine bay wise it's not so bad:
LHD Legacy:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/08/050928_EngineBay-1.jpg

RHD Impreza:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2008/11/Intake1sml-1.jpg

GTDrifter
11-30-2008, 10:53 AM
ok well i could get all that stuff easily...just dont know how much itd cost probably ask to buy the whole car and then rejunk it when im done i took folding power mirrors off it and was going to put them on my car but your saying about the convex so i guess not

thanks

how long do you think it would take to do all that? any extra stuff like fluids or anything i would have to buy?

Huffer
11-30-2008, 08:00 PM
how long do you think it would take to do all that? any extra stuff like fluids or anything i would have to buy?

Depends on how long it takes you. *shrug*

Fluids are always good to have when doing any kind of swap.

decke48
11-30-2008, 08:16 PM
maybe a good 14-20hrs of work? idk for someone that doent know what there doing

GTDrifter
11-30-2008, 08:18 PM
what kind of fluid will i need?

how much of a PITA will this be?

what should i know about it?

also im looking at a m/t from another car is the gears in the same spot or reversed as well?

Huffer
11-30-2008, 08:36 PM
what kind of fluid will i need?

how much of a PITA will this be?

what should i know about it?

also im looking at a m/t from another car is the gears in the same spot or reversed as well?

Seriously, think about the questions you're asking - because it's obvious that you're not.

Fluids - what fluids does your car currently take? What fluids does this RHD engine take? You'll need those.

"PITA" depends on YOUR definition of pain. There are people that have taken 2 weeks to do a swap. Some take 2 years. Others take 6 months to collect parts, take their car to a swap outfit and pick it up 3 days later all done.

Transmissions are in the same place - look at the transmission tunnel - doing a 5MT is going to require modification of your harness to bypass the auto tranny computer (TCU) so your ABS continues to function.

GTDrifter
11-30-2008, 08:57 PM
no i mean between lhd and rhd m/t gears is it the same way like 1st gear is on the left or is that switched?

id be doing all the work myself and probably 2 friends all of us dont know much about working on cars

pita meanin is it hard and irritating or generally easy like changing oil?

decke48
11-30-2008, 09:16 PM
its the same. but there is some difference in the way they wear. take some use to if you if a LHD car with RHD worn tran. but just need to get use to

Okin DaVanh
11-30-2008, 09:25 PM
no i mean between lhd and rhd m/t gears is it the same way like 1st gear is on the left or is that switched?

id be doing all the work myself and probably 2 friends all of us dont know much about working on cars

pita meanin is it hard and irritating or generally easy like changing oil?

If you have to ask....

This is not like changing your oil. Nor wiring a new head unit. You'd better get someone with experience to help you, if you're serious.

Buy a JDM Front cut, and just swap everything over piece by piece.

GTDrifter
12-01-2008, 09:20 PM
JDM front cut? :smt017

idk what that is

decke48
12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
a car that cut after the dash. only the engine bay , dash and a-piliars

GTDrifter
12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
well i have a car to take the swap from its a rhd wagon thats sitting insed a junkyard...front axles are there and i have the reversed mirrors already, just need to the the door cards, wires, and whatever else is switched i was going to try to buy the whole car so i know i have it all and then rejunk it after i was done

RS22b
12-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Ironically im dying for a RHD wagon... Been looking not really too hard, but looking for a long time now.

Anyways, what is wrong with the car? Is the body shot? Why dont you just buy the whole car if the body is decent and then swap all from your current car into the RHD?

that would be much easier than you doing RHD conversion. Doing this conversion right means a ton of work and the proper tooling to do it and make it a safe conversion. Changing the firewall could actually be a deadly matter in the case of an accident if something was done incorrectly. Measure, measure again, cut once. Measure again, and once again, then weld once.

_billy

RS22b
12-04-2008, 04:06 PM
oh and if you need any RHD parts we can usually get them brand new. So let us know what you need ;)

GTDrifter
12-04-2008, 06:54 PM
i know people are giong to hate this but its my opinion...i hate wagons

it has some engine parts missing, if the engine even runs
no hood, renders, bumper is sitting on the ground, no tires
cause its been in a junkyard with the windows down and its cold here theres like 1/4-1/2 inch of water sitting over the carpet, the passenger (in our cases driver) seat is gone

the engine only had about 101xxx miles on it and the body isnt destroyed so i think something with the motor blew

my plan was to buy the whole car, keep it at my house, get my 2 weeks paid vacation from work and use that time to swap over theres a manual transmission i wanna pull off a wagon up there after the swap but on rhd cars is 1st gear on the left or the right? i know on lhd its on the left

KAG
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
but on rhd cars is 1st gear on the left or the right? i know on lhd its on the left
There's a lot of us who take transmissions from cars in japan and put them in ours...think about it. It's the same.

The only cars with reverse on the left are rear engine cars (Porsche) because the transmission is facing the opposite way as front engine cars.

Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us posted.

GTDrifter
12-04-2008, 11:51 PM
im trying my hardest to get it giong $184 speeding ticket, parental unaproval, and a pulled license hinders me at the moment...i can get around all that though

my plan: try to get the car, take all the parts needed, swap to my car, sell extra stuff and rejunk the car to a different yard

if i do get this going ill do a DIY if i remember...not too good of a memory

Huffer
12-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Doesn't sound like a good move. Parts donor car is busted up, and you don't have a good memory. You will need both of those to make this a success.

You'd be better off buying a JDM EJ20R (GTB) front clip and swapping that if you're going to do a RHD conversion for the sake of a conversion.

RS22b
12-05-2008, 10:11 AM
i agree with Huffer. You are prob better off just getting a full GTB clip and doing it that way.

Dont ruin the RHD wagon that is at the junk yard anymore. Infact i will come out and grab that thing being that i love wagons and have been looking for one of these specifically.

I hope the body isnt damaged too much! Sounds like it might be a rat from the water on the floor and such. I could care less about everything else being missing or bad bc i will just be replacing it all anyways, hehe.

Is the place near Hazelton? I cant remember the name of the place, but they have tons of subies.

_billy

GTDrifter
12-05-2008, 03:58 PM
the donor car isnt busted up at all i just think that something happened to the motor or transmission its in a junkyard somebody took the fenders and hood and left the bumper lay on the ground engine parts are missing and i claimed the mirrors...i have to see how much he wants for it

i can get a garage to help me with it so thats not a problem either

its not too close to hazelton

RS22b
12-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Ok well if you decide to abort and just get a front clip, PLEASE tell me where the car is so i can go and get it.

I have been dying for one of these for awhile?

Any chance you can take some pics of the car next time you are at the yard? :smt023

thx.
_billy

GTDrifter
12-09-2008, 05:42 PM
yeah no problem wont be there for a lil cause i got my license pulled

RS22b
12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Great thanks!

What color is the car?

_billy

GTDrifter
12-12-2008, 09:24 PM
red

RS22b
12-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Red as in Brillian Red
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2008/12/rallyx4-1.jpg

or as in Crimson Red Pearl
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/10/DSC00709-1.jpg

_billy

decke48
12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Ruby Pearl(947) is the only "red" postals BG's came in.
i dont think its RIO red

Huffer
12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
According to cars101.com:
http://www.cars101.com/postlsub.html

1997, 1998, 1999 Specifcations
PRICE: $17,690 (MSRP including destination).
Yes, this is the total price, of course plus your local taxes & lic. fees and any optional equipment you want. The price has not been raised since 1997!

Engine:
1997: 2.2 Liter 4-cyl. engine, 135 Horsepower, with electronic ignition, multi-port fuel injection
1998: 2.2 Liter 4-cyl. engine, 137 Horsepower, with electronic ignition, multi-port fuel injection
1999: 2.2 Liter 4-cyl. engine, 142 Horsepower, with electronic ignition, multi-port fuel injection

Fuel economy:
1997-1998: 23 city, 30 highway, 15.9 Gal fuel tank,
1999: 22 city 29 highway, 15.9 gal. fuel tank

Dimensions:
Overall length: 184.4"
Overall width: 67.5"
Overall height: 57.1" without roof rack
Cargo area height: 33.9"
Weight: 3025 pounds (plus optional equipment, cargo, people etc)
Towing capacity: 1500 pounds

Warranty:
3 years/36,000 miles bumper-to-bumper. On the Postal vehicle there is no powertrain warranty.

Maintenance: 3,750 mile oil change interval, 7,500 mile tire rotation, 15,000mile/yearly air filter replacement, 30,000 mile tune-up and fluid replacement interval, 60,000 timing belt replacement

Safety:
front and rear crumple zones, reinforced doors and b-pillar, drop down engine motor-mounts, A-pillar side-to-side bar (steering wheel attachment) for protection from side impacts in the front Dual airbags

Standard equipment: 1997-1999

* All-wheel-drive, full time for awesome traction and safety
* Automatic Transmission, 4 speed electronic overdrive
* Power steering, variable assist rack and pinion
* power brakes, front disk, rear drum (non-abs)
* power windows - with driver's window express down
* power locks, all 4 doors plus rear hatch
* power right and left outside mirrors,
* 4 speaker am/fm/cassette with electric antenna, 12 FM presets, 6 AM presets
* Air conditioning
* Rear wiper/washer/defroster
* Intermittant front wipers,
* 2 front Cup-holders,
* tinted glass,
* full cloth interior,
* fold flat rear seats - 60/40 split
* auto-off headlights,
* tilt steering wheel,
* front door map pockets
* Overhead dome and cargo area lights
* Full size spare tire (yes, it's a real tire!)
* and more....

It is available in 3 colors
1997: White, Spruce Pearl (a medium green), Mica Ruby Pearl (a medium red). Medium light grey cloth interior.
1998: White, Spruce Pearl (a medium green), Mica Ruby Pearl (a medium red). Medium dark grey cloth interior
1999: White, Spruce Pearl (a medium green), Deep Sapphire Pearl (a dark blue). Medium dark grey cloth interior

GTDrifter
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
it might not have been made as a postal car but turned into one...i know a lady that took her jeep liberty to a garage and had them do it all for $7000 id rather spend like 500 at most which is possible with this car its not like bright red but not that dark either...ill try to look for a pic of a close color

GTDrifter
12-15-2008, 10:18 PM
this is like the exact thing...but normal drive lol
http://photos.ebizautos.com/7519/2696901_1.jpg

decke48
12-15-2008, 11:33 PM
mica ruby pearl.

RS22b
12-17-2008, 02:37 PM
thats a sweet color!

I like those kinds of reds.

Oh man tell me where this car is.... PLEASE! :)

GTDrifter
12-17-2008, 10:51 PM
i will once i claim all the rhd parts lol

RS22b
12-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I dont care if you are taking the RHD parts. I just dont want you to cut anything off the car, aka the firewall.

Im more than likely going to grab an entire GTB worth of parts for it, so i wont need any of it. Infact, if you tell me where the car is so i can go and buy it i will strip the stuff off the car and give it to you for free. :)

_billy