PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning MAF??

Plays_with_Toys
11-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Is there a way to clean the MAF on my 2.2? My gas mileage dropped big time. Like 6mpg big. Looking at my K&N its almost white, which says to me oil has gotten pulled off of it. I am thinking the sensor got gummed up since my spark and fuel are good. Thanks

Plays_with_Toys
11-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Well, did a little searching on the toyota forum I used to call home and came up with this handy link:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenan ... ncep5.html (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/maintenancep5.html)

Looking at the MAF it didn't seem all too dirty. But I cleaned it anyway. Then I greased up all the boot connections for my spark (both at the coil and at the plugs.

When i restarted the car the idle was instantly smoother. So here's to hoping I fixed some problem. I also swapped out my headlights. I am wondering what using the right bulb for my headlights will do for my lighting :lol: I had H4's installed and the car takes 9003's. The lights seem brighter, but thats a different topic all together.

Pwise2326
11-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Its probably just easier to get a new one from your local salvage yard or online. IIRC MAF's weren't that much money to replace, I'd double check though, but that probably be the best way to go.

Wiscon_Mark
11-03-2005, 09:55 PM
hey ryan, nice to see you again!

I think some people use brake cleaner on their MAF, but don't rush out and do it, verify that with someone....

Yeah, an accurate reading from the MAF is always a good thing for performance and mileage :)

OUTBACKWBEER!
11-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Yup , Brake clean sprayed in a zip lock bag and shake it up ! (ala shake/bake!)

I crew for Primitive Racing(rally team) , I cleaned a map sensor on Paul Eklunds car using this method. Works great! :D

Plays_with_Toys
11-10-2005, 10:34 AM
MAP and MAF are different though. I just don't see myself being super rough with something that has that tiny of a wire for doing the actual sensing part. This electric cleaner worked great. Now I am moving on to the 02 sensor, since the rough idle returned and the gas mileage still sucks. The car smelled rich the other day. My girlfriend said it as I was thinking it, and she doesn't even know much about cars, so it was a fairly strong smell (we were talking behind the car for a minute). So I'll do the 02 sensor and see if it clears it up.

xcntrk75
11-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Yup , Brake clean sprayed in a zip lock bag and shake it up ! (ala shake/bake!)

I crew for Primitive Racing(rally team) , I cleaned a map sensor on Paul Eklunds car using this method. Works great! :D

+2 only I use Ethanol (rubbing alcohol). Same thing really, lightly shake and allow to thoroughly dry before reinstall...

95LegacySTI
11-27-2005, 11:28 AM
I was having the same promblem with my 95L. At first I thought it was the idle control sensor so I bought a new one. The problem went away for awhile but cam back even worse, now I dont know what it is, it seems like when I move the wires around on the MAF it runs better.

Plays_with_Toys
11-27-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm taking my car in for a diagnostic. I've wasted way too much money on gas sitting on my laurels and hoping to find the solution. We'll see what they say is wrong, and I'll fix it. There are too many variables that I am checking and not finding anything. Could be O2, could be another sensor, could be a vacuum leak, could be a fuel leak. Oi. I'll let you know what I find out.