PDA

View Full Version : My first GL-10 question! EA82T boost levels...

jg09
09-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Ok, so my GL-10 is already boosted from the factory, but power isn't all that impressive. About how much more boost can the EA82T engine and auto trans take safely? I'd really like about 150 hp, which is only 35 more than stock. If I put in a new turbo, I'll probably also make a custom turbo-back exhaust system, too, which should add a few ponies.

Other than upping the boost, any other ideas for gaining that 35 hp?

chuckthefuk
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Looks like another forum has given you all the info you need.
->> http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... p?t=103640 (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103640)

But if you must..

Consider the following.

If you put a new turbo your going to over work the poor thing till it detonates.

-remove the cats
-3" downpipe + full exhaust system
-Front mount intercooler.
-"A bit of work with porting tools helps particularly in the exhaust ports..."
-new exhaust manifold if that even exists

Blah blah blah blah. This just isn't a good idea IMHO...

--->>> www.ausubaru.com (http://www.ausubaru.com) lives for the EA82T.
Read this. http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... EA82T+mods (http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13519&highlight=EA82T+mods)

Cheers
-Chuck

Bohemian_Funk
11-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, aren't the EA82 series engines from back when Subaru used to put the spare tire in the engine bay like, behind the engine and such? If so (and actually, even if it's not, of which I'll tell why soon), I might suggest selling the engine/tranny to a recycling yard (probably get you a couple/few hundred bucks, but that's better than paying to get rid of it :wink:), and saving up for an EJ engine/tranny/hub/brake swap. The tranny may be a bit heavier, but the engine shouldn't be TOO far off as far as weight is concerned, it's more efficient, and the power gains per capita would be much better, especially since good parts for the EA series are very hard to find from what I can tell, whereas quite obviously EJ parts are quite common. I know for a fact that the swap has been done before (For example, there's a mad fellow in Australia that swapped an STi motor into his BRAT, which is awesome), and I'm fairly certain you'd spend less swapping in a USDM WRX motor than you would building up your EA82T to anywhere near the power levels that said EJ205 would make just about stock.

[Edit] Either way, since you're in the area (what part of Maple Valley are you in btw? I used to live in Covington, over by Kentlake High School. Maybe after I get my 2.5RS tomorrow, we could meet and see which is faster, the GL-10 turbo, or the 2.5RS with the front right axle/brake pad that needs replacing :lol:. To be honest, I think the GL-10 might whup its arse, but we'll see I guess.), you should check out Aaron's Auto in Seattle. They're a junkyard that specializes in Subaru's, and they might be able to help further with your particular issue.

My 2 cents,
~ Scott :smt028

jg09
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
i'm technically down in Kendall. Anywho, meeting would be cool except for the fact that I got rid of my GL-10 a couple days ago :-(

Bohemian_Funk
11-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Ah, well that's no good. Replace it with a BRAT :lol:.

No really, do it. :cool:

Sarra
11-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Strip it down to a chassis, then put an EJ207 engine and transmission in it, along with brakes, wheels, hubs, etc. otherwise, not worth it as mentioned.

Bohemian_Funk
11-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Well... errr... As jg09 said before my last post, the GL-10 is no longer with us.

jg09
11-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Well... errr... As jg09 said before my last post, the GL-10 is no longer with us.

:lol: What is this? A funeral service?

Bohemian_Funk
11-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Might as well be, GL-10's are like the Legacy's dad or something :smt005. So what're you getting to replace it? Anything?

As I said before, a BRAT project would be pretty bad ass. Certainly something that I'd love to help with. I'll probably be replacing the phase II EJ25 that from my 2.5RS after I've replaced one of the axles and done a bit with the brakes. Gonna do an EZ30R swap :twisted:. I'd certainly rather see the EJ25 go into a project car than to a recycling yard for scrap. Maybe get some of those t-sleeves from xcceleration, an EJ207 crank, extra long con rods, forged pistons, DOHC heads, etc. Hell, a setup like that would be great for N/A performance. Heck, now that I think about it, maybe I should do that before I do the swap :smt029.

jg09
11-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Might as well be, GL-10's are like the Legacy's dad or something :smt005. So what're you getting to replace it? Anything?

Right now, I'm just driving a 1988 Honda Accord LX-i coupe. I'm gonna keep it a stock daily driver and give it to my fiance after I get something new. As for what I'll get, idk yet. I'd like either an older Impreza to EJ257 swap, but then again, I might just save my pesos for an STi, who knows? I'd also like to start my Explorer off-road project, too. I'll probably get either another Subaru or another Honda and only do minor mods to it until I have my Exploder solid axle swapped and rolling on 35" rubber

Bohemian_Funk
11-18-2009, 01:54 AM
I'd say do an early Impreza build. Not long ago I asked that Subaru junkyard I mentioned earlier about the price of a rolling chassis (body/drivetrain) from a late-model 2.5RS coupe, and it was something like 1200 bucks.

~ Scott

jg09
11-18-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd say do an early Impreza build. Not long ago I asked that Subaru junkyard I mentioned earlier about the price of a rolling chassis (body/drivetrain) from a late-model 2.5RS coupe, and it was something like 1200 bucks.

~ Scott

Damn, that's cheap. That'd be a really good platform to build a rally monster off of, too. And with it being more-or-less gutted, that just makes my job of race-prepping it easier! :lol:

Well this certainly gets me thinking...

Bohemian_Funk
11-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah man, the only issue is that I don't think they get them in that often. I don't know about other models though, such as base model coupes (I'd say go with coupe because it's lighter, and I know for a fact that you can get WRC fiberglass body panels for them from subaruwrcspares.com), which would actually be much lighter than the 2.5RS due to the lack of power options. Wouldn't surprise me if they were cheaper, too :smt023

~ Scott

jg09
11-20-2009, 03:11 AM
i actually wouldn't mind getting an older Impreza wagon and building off of that. i know for a fact that rolling shells are up near my area (hell even ones that still run and somewhat drive for pretty cheap). I kinda like the mid 90s Impreza wagon

Bohemian_Funk
11-20-2009, 03:24 AM
That's funny, I think they're the most horrendous looking Subaru ever made :smt005. Oh well, personal taste is as personal taste does. I wanna make an '04/05 WRX wagon into a BRAT-like concoction using the bed from a Baja and some sheet metal, and maybe a multi-link front suspension to go with the multi-link rear from the Baja. Supercharged EZ30R of course. :roll:

~ Scott

jg09
11-20-2009, 03:08 PM
...I wanna make an '04/05 WRX wagon into a BRAT-like concoction using the bed from a Baja and some sheet metal...

And you think my rally wagon would be ugly?!?! lol jk.

i did find a pic that has inspired me even more to make a rally wagon, tho

http://www.stephenfung.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/oldimpreza_dirty.jpg

Bohemian_Funk
11-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey, the BRAT's/Baja/El Camino were awesome :cool:. Definitely much better than a full on station wagon as far as "sport" is concerned :smt029.

In all seriousness though, I really only hate the first gen Impreza wagon because it looks so little like it was a fresh design. it looks like they took a fat arsed version of the GC/GM chassis, and added some 2 or so feet of metal and glass where it didn't belong. It's frumpy, I guess. Unlike, say, the Legacy wagons :lol:. That wasn't sarcasm by the way.

Regardless, whatever you try to start, do a member's ride II thread about it :smt023.
~ Scott