Thread: DIY: 4EAT phase 1 power mode wiring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

DIY: 4EAT phase 1 power mode wiring

This works on the phase 1 4EATs from 90ish to 99ish. I don't know if it works on the phase 2, they may have a sport mode version but I have never looked into them.

So this weekend I took a page out of the SVX mods and wired my 98 Legacy 4EAT to stay in power mode at all times. The electronics on the tranny are the same as the SVX ones so it worked perfectly.

I did my research from these sites and don't take any credit for thinking this up.
    http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/powermode.html
    http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133

It works on the legacy just like the svx, but in 96 (at least in the svx) they removed the power light so you don't have a light on the dash when in power mode. All you have to do is run a wire from pin A4 on the first TCU connector to ground.

This is the connector and the empty spot is pin 4. I didn't unplug my connector to do the mod (not my picture).

My picture of it, wiring harness NOT in the car.

The TCU is mounted just to the left of the steering column, you don't need to remove any of the interior parts. I just looked under the dash, removed the 2 10mm bolts holding the TCU on and then ran a wire from that pin and grounded it to one of the TCU bolts when I bolted it back up. I didn't have a terminal from the connector so I cheaped out and just stripped the wire back and pushed it into the hole then wire tied it to the harness. I will get some pictures tomorrow of how mine looks and post them up.

This is where you look under.

Here's the TCU bolted to the brake pedal bracket and you can see the blue wire I ran and grounded to the mounting bolt.

The wiring harnesses are on the left side of the TCU. I unbolted the TCU so I could get to them, it's the top connector. You can see where I wire tied it to the harness to keep it from moving.
    mine:
    '98 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 5MT white sedan
    '96 SVX LSi 4EAT green

for parts: '97 Legacy 2.5 GT 5MT white sedan

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Power Mode is the best option for non turbo cars haha, i have this option in my car... Soon i can sell a lhd gear selector like mine, with the switch and the same console... Just check my thread in classified section :-)
    Any of you found a way to turn the indicator on the cluster ? It should not be difficult
    Name:  3255B29C81235543D4B5285543D36D.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  24.1 KB Name:  2450DC767A27506DAE4B2C506DAD66.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  22.2 KB

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassO.G.
    Dave-sorry it has been a while since being on this forum. I am pretty sure it was pin 20 as you are saying. It is the phase 2 Generation 1 TCU, same as yours in the 2004 outback that I had. I grounded the pin and noticed for a few days it reacted better, held revs better and was a lot more fun. After a few days it returned to Grandpa mode and became sluggish again The phase 2 transmission does not want to be lively! The phase 2, generation 2 has the sport mode with the manumatic mode, they had them in the 2005+ legacy, the Tribeca and not sure when the forester got them. We have picked up the Tribeca now, what a difference in power and responsiveness, it has the EZ30R and P2G2 trans, much better!
    -Rick
    1998 Outback-Lift kit, plasti dip camo tan, 03 WRX calipers, slotted rotors, header, high flow cat, custom 2 1/4 catback, vibrant muffler, fresh rebuilt .020 over EJ25D w/ 251 block, strut tower bar, etc...
    04 35th anniversary H-6 Outback-Dynomax VT Muffler, power mode mod, not much else......yet!
    85 V65 Magna
    86 'Zuki Quadsport-fun machine

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Doing this tomorrow with my H6 w a bad trans mount...let's see if I can break it the rest of the way!😄😄😄

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Power mode successfully done!feel it more in the downshifts then the upshifts not think that's a fluid issue.