Quote Originally Posted by chromehorn
Quote Originally Posted by anothernord
I still don't quite understand why people like this. It basically makes the car 100% less practical for driving on anything except laser-level, dry pavement.
Not true. Your definition of practical might be different than mine. If I can drive to work and back, it's 100% as practical as it would be otherwise. My car is that height for the summer. I've had no problems at all. Daily driven with atleast 100kms a day. Also drove a 2300km road trip from Toronto to Maryland, with one passenger (big guy), full cooler in the back seat, 3 full luggage peaces, and 2 150+pc tool sets in the back. Practical enough for me. Can I go offroad like an Outback? No, and don't plan on it. Though, I have driven dirt roads. As long as you slow down for speedbumps and lot entrances, there are no issues. Chuck or someone else from Toronto can vouch for how shitty Kingston road east of Coxwell is. That is my daily commute. Also have many friends in the VW community, we all know how low those guys go .
I agree.

I don't raise my car in the winter or lower it in the summer, it's always the same way. I drive it on crappy roads and in the snow if I have to and it's fine. It gets driven 70 miles round trip to work and I have taken it on longer trips when I needed to take my car. I mean my "winter setup" is lower than most people's "summer setups". It works fine and there are things you have to modify to make it work but nothing serious and it's along the same idea as doing any modifications to a car that aren't totally conservative.