Thread: DIY: Plastidipping Legacy Wagon

Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

DIY: Plastidipping Legacy Wagon

Hello all,

Incase the thought has passed anyones' minds, of plastidippin your legacy wagon....look no further. Decided to help out a friend with doing his car. For rattlecanning the whole car, it actually came out pretty decent. Not perfect, but not too bad at all. We did not do the roof for now because taking off the racks and painting those, putting them back on would've taken too much time. We'll do the roof in a few days when the garage will be free again. We rubbed off the reverse section on the tailights as well, and if you look closely, the word legacy was fine cut out from the paint on the rear garnish. Alot got on the window, took glass cleaner, simple green and elbow grease to take it off. I do suggest not even trying to mask off the windows, that way when you take it off it'll come off in one piece if you peel it. Also cut out the silver trim all around the car, gives it a contrast from being 100% murdered out. Took about 6 hours or so including prep time. Used 9 cans which gave the car about 5 coats. Please feel free to ask questions or comment.

Its not the car that races, Its the driver.

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Recommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Re: Plastidipping 93 Legacy wagon

Nice!

FYI a bath towel and a bit of elbow grease will take off the plastidip within seconds. The heat and friction peel it right off.

And you are 100% correct. Don't MASK anything. Just spray and peel.

Let us know how the durability holds up.

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

Nice, simple, and way more duable the just primer. looks good
    -1992 Legacy Wagon

Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Update:

Durability has been much better than we had thought. The lower side skirt has started to peel off a bit, however that is from people getting in/out of the car. It will need another coat one of these days. It was taken through an automatic car wash and it did good. This is where having multiple coats of paint on the car is good, because if it wasnt thick enough, it would probably want to come up. So if you planning on doing this, do at least 6-9 coats on the car. It'll look better too!

Its a little tacky, its not smooth of any sorts. But it was fun, and I would do it again. It is alot of work though, so be prepared!
    Its not the car that races, Its the driver.

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

You did this all with cans or dip? And how many cans did you use.. I wanna do my 94 wagon in red
    _foREVer_

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassO.G.
    I did mine with the gallons and an HVLP gun, I used about a gallon and a half, including door Jambs and under hood. I had the same problem with the rocker panels peeling, I ended up spraying the rocker panels with Duplicolor bedliner spray, no more chips in it. It has been pretty resilient to rock chips and even sustained a deer T-bone 3 days after spraying without messing up the dip (I was a little unhappy about the damage, I mean, c'mon, three days!!!). It does not stand up to gas or trans fluid though, I blew a trans line under the hood and sprayed quite a bit of dip with it, and had gas spill at the fuel filler and instantly melted the dip. Best thing to do if you do get gas on it, don't touch it, wait for it to evaporate and reharden. Also, if you get a rough texture and want to smooth it out, use Zylene, spray it on, it will smooth out.Name:  tan.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  424.0 KB
    -Rick
    1998 Outback-Lift kit, plasti dip camo tan, 03 WRX calipers, slotted rotors, header, high flow cat, custom 2 1/4 catback, vibrant muffler, fresh rebuilt .020 over EJ25D w/ 251 block, strut tower bar, etc...
    04 35th anniversary H-6 Outback-Dynomax VT Muffler, power mode mod, not much else......yet!
    85 V65 Magna
    86 'Zuki Quadsport-fun machine