Thread: Wheel spacer/extended stud question

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Wheel spacer/extended stud question

OK folks. I've got a 2000 Outback wagon lowered on the popular H&R/KYB setup. I've run it this way for over two years and roughly 30k miles and have no complaints.

I've been running OZ Prodrive wheels, 17" with 53mm offset. I recently got tired of them and picked up a set of 17" 7-spoke WRX wheels, with a 55 offset.

The tires on the OZs were wearing down so I just got a new set for the new wheels. Both sets of tires are 225/55/17.

When I pulled the OZs to mount the WRX wheels I found that the front wheels have been rubbing in the insides of the wheel wells when turned to full lock. I knew this was happening (from the noise) but always figured it was fairly minor. However, I think the springs have settled a bit over time and the rubbed spots are down to shiny bare metal. No problem to fix (no rust) but not something I want to allow to continue.

With the even higher offset of the WRX wheels I'm figuring some spacers and therefore also longer wheel studs will be necessary at least in the front. I'm curious what folks here have used. I'm only planning on a 5mm or 10mm spacer, so no bolt-on spacers need apply.

After some research (and using some things on different cars) here's what I've found:

ARP - expensive but quality. I don't really feel I need three-inch studs though.
    Ichiba - they make a 40mm and a 50mm version but they're only measuring the thread length (not including the knurl). Not sure about quality/fitment.
    Vorshlag - 65mm, again not certain of measurement. Should be good quality based on my personal experience with their other products.
    Dorman - Basically stock length, won't work for me.

I'd be grateful for any input. Thanks!

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    I dont have much experience with wheel spacers but I think you be ok to run a 5mm spacer without extended studs anything bigger than that you will need them. I picked up a set of 4 arp (5 in a package) extended studs for my sentra (oddly enough they were for a wrx and worked perfectly for my application) from ebay not to long ago and I think I payed about 120 for them at the time, now you will also need some open ended lugs if you decide to do the studs. I went with muteki sr48 I believe which i picked up for $100 on ebay, they came with locking lugs aswell. So if you wanted to do it all with spacers your prob looking at between $300-$400. I would also recommend hub centric spacers so the weight of the wheel isn't loaded up on the studs themselves but on the hub.

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    I personally wouldn't run any form of slip on spacer without aftermarket extended studs. And to be on the safe side I would just spend the money on the ARP extended studs, hub centric slip-on spacers and some open ended lug nuts. That would be a pretty overkill setup but that's just my opinion, and it allows you the opportunity to run even wider spacers later on if you want to.

I have Ichiba bolt-on spacers and they seem pretty nice but I need an alignment before I can run them for an extended period of time. I can't say on how their Version 1 slip-on spacers will be, and I'm not sure what quality their studs are or where they're made but they can't be much different to the studs that are pressed into my bolt-ons.
    1999 Outback On BC Racing coilovers and Desmond Regamasters

"You ruined your car" - Dad
    "Your car looks good!" - Mom <--- Always the supportive one.

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    DaveM - I used to play with Sentras. Classic SE-Rs (I had three) and an old G20. Funny.

Anyway, there's no question about running long studs for spacers. Nowhere near enough thread engagement on the stock studs even for a 5mm spacer. That's not the issue.

I was hoping for some insight into the various options for the studs - rather than the knee-jerk reaction of "buy ARP." I've had ARPs on several cars (my S13 in particular) and there's no question of their quality, but they're pricey and I'm wondering if there's a less expensive option that'd be functional for a daily, non-track and frankly non-aggressively driven car, at a lower price point. This is my dadmobile, and I don't get rowdy with the kids in the car

As always, any input appreciated.