Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Go Mifune's '97 L Wagon

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Go for it! It worked out to $25 each for twelve minutes of track time. Not cheap in my present situation but as I get older, the memories become more valuable than the money.
    1996 Outback 5 speed
    1997 Legacy L wagon 5 speed Member's Ride I thread

"You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli." Pops Racer

Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Mifune View Post
    Go for it! It worked out to $25 each for twelve minutes of track time. Not cheap in my present situation but as I get older, the memories become more valuable than the money.
    It was about that cost for each race for the two of us, since we did it twice we each got about 24 minutes of drive time for $25-$30, about a buck/minute, not too shabby. Not that I am going to try to go slower to get more for my money, lol.

I think you get a little less bang for your buck at the other tracks around, but I'm not sure. Unser Racing I've been to once, it's a shorter track with slower speeds and costs more, but it's smoother. There is another track near Centennial airport IIRC, no idea on it. Then I just learned that there are some indoor electric karts in Highlands Ranch, might be worth checking those out. Also, I'm pretty sure you can do karts at IMI motorsport complex, but those run $5-$7/lap (1 mile track or so).

My wife said she wants to try out karting at some point, I've got to take advantage of that enthusiasm while it lasts!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug View Post
    Not that I am going to try to go slower to get more for my money, lol.
    If you went say, 3 1/2 seconds per lap slower, my enjoyment would be greatly enhanced. After thinking about it, the prices are reasonable. It's just that my wallet is always thin this time of year. Buying tires may get delayed as I need to redeem myself at the kart track. I wouldn't expect to equal your time but within a second would be a worthwhile goal. I'm a slow learner but eventually the fog clears. I'll look up IMI as that sounds cool.

Something interesting is that driving my Legacy on track feels remarkably close to playing Gran Turismo in my living room but cornering the kart is so physical that the similarity falls away. I need a kart with power steering... and maybe a cup holder.

Do bring your wife karting! We had some women in the Porsche Club that were quite good drivers. I was hoping that Simona De Silvestro was going to make it in Formula One but something didn't mesh.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    If you went say, 3 1/2 seconds per lap slower, my enjoyment would be greatly enhanced. After thinking about it, the prices are reasonable. It's just that my wallet is always thin this time of year. Buying tires may get delayed as I need to redeem myself at the kart track. I wouldn't expect to equal your time but within a second would be a worthwhile goal. I'm a slow learner but eventually the fog clears. I'll look up IMI as that sounds cool.

Something interesting is that driving my Legacy on track feels remarkably close to playing Gran Turismo in my living room but cornering the kart is so physical that the similarity falls away. I need a kart with power steering... and maybe a cup holder.

Do bring your wife karting! We had some women in the Porsche Club that were quite good drivers. I was hoping that Simona De Silvestro was going to make it in Formula One but something didn't mesh.
    Yeah, I think I might take her to the electric karts first as they are smoother, it'll beat her up less. I've got to ease her into the Bandimere karts, they beat the crap out of you and are pretty physically demanding. The last/first turn combo there is high speed and long, always feel it in the shoulders near the end of a session there.

I've got a friend that has an old racing kart that he doesn't really use much, I'm trying to see if there is anything I have that I could trade him, it would be fun to just pay the $40 daily fee and race as much as you want.

BTW, sorry for the Go-Karting hijack on your thread, but what else are we gonna do on a cold snowy day in the Rockies?

Level
    Achievements:
    I've got a friend that has an old racing kart that he doesn't really use much, I'm trying to see if there is anything I have that I could trade him, it would be fun to just pay the $40 daily fee and race as much as you want.

BTW, sorry for the Go-Karting hijack on your thread, but what else are we gonna do on a cold snowy day in the Rockies?
    No worries. What happened to our February summer? Old racing kart? Would something like that fit in the back of a '96 Outback? I'm just asking for a friend:-)
    Back to Subaru- While most on here are young and seem to want creature comforts, I'm ancient but after the Karting experience, I'm thinking my Legacy is too soft and quiet. There's no more sound deadening to remove so lots of poly bushings and maybe a side exit, aluminum race muffler. Is it June yet?
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    No worries. What happened to our February summer? Old racing kart? Would something like that fit in the back of a '96 Outback? I'm just asking for a friend:-)
    Back to Subaru- While most on here are young and seem to want creature comforts, I'm ancient but after the Karting experience, I'm thinking my Legacy is too soft and quiet. There's no more sound deadening to remove so lots of poly bushings and maybe a side exit, aluminum race muffler. Is it June yet?
    LOL, yeah, my cars felt very plush after those karts too. Poly bushings, one of the best bang for you buck mods out there, do it!

Have you seen a complete kit anywhere, or will you be piecing together pieces from here and there?

Level
    Achievements:
    LOL, yeah, my cars felt very plush after those karts too. Poly bushings, one of the best bang for you buck mods out there, do it!

Have you seen a complete kit anywhere, or will you be piecing together pieces from here and there?
    Likely to be a ten year project so one piece at a time. This year the focus will be track tires and to to try a twenty pound lighter amg battery. Much cheaper than a carbon hood. My shifter knuckle and bushings are toast so probably that.

I was thinking after seeing your Forester XT that of all the cars I've driven over the years, I've never even been in a boosted Subaru. Kinda weird.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    So, there's a guy in Boulder that has a totaled 2007 Forester XT 5mt, that's a 4.44 transmission. I can get his contact info if you are interested.

Level
    Achievements:
    So, there's a guy in Boulder that has a totaled 2007 Forester XT 5mt, that's a 4.44 transmission. I can get his contact info if you are interested.
    Thanks Nick but my 9 year old computer is near death, so a trans swap is probably not happening this year.

I may have decided on tires though. Tire Rack liked the Falken RT615K as long lasting and easy to drive but slower than the Re71R. So Falken just released the new and improved, stickier RT615K+. And to top it off a $100 rebate. Of course I'll be the guinea pig. Oh, and 215/40/17.

If you watched my second video, you may have noticed a winged Corvette going by me in a blur. Well, my days of being the exclusive Legacy race wagon at HPR may be over. He's buying a 2000 Legacy wagon and doing (maybe) an STi swap. His question to me is if there's any way to fit a 255/40/17 on 9" wheels without having to use flares. My best guess is a 235 without major work but mine's a 2nd gen so FIIK. Any thoughts?
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    Hmm, I'm not sure if those would fit. I would think with some sort of combos of fender rolling, correct offset and maybe coilovers that they would fit.

I think better people to ask would be Matty2Hotty and rkenicki, they've got some from that gen and might have fitted some wider wheels.

The widest I've run is 225/55R17 on some Oz Ultraleggeras 17x8 wheels with a +48 offset, that was cakewalk stuff there though, not doubt that they would fit

Level
    Achievements:
    Probably too late as he's about to order some 17x9 Rota Titans. He is compromising by going with a 245 width. His Z06 is just stupid fast and I think he's keeping it so not sure what his motivation is. Maybe he'll give me a ride.

I'm holding my breath waiting for the first review on those Falkens before the rebate expires. I've also found another cheap GoPro clone but with an external mic jack so no more rattling videos. The tire rebate will just about cover it. Of course I'm itching to get that 12 pound battery plus another round of karting would be nice. Stupid money
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Have you got any advice for getting started racing? I'mean hoping to take my new Del Sol out to autocross this summer, and it seems like you have plenty of experience.
    2002 Outback H6 VDC "Blitzen 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster6
    A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post
    Have you got any advice for getting started racing? I'mean hoping to take my new Del Sol out to autocross this summer, and it seems like you have plenty of experience.
    Hi Muse! That sounds like fun and I hope you do it. My first advice is don't listen to anything I say. After that, what messed up my world every time were crappy brakes. Not knowing any better, I would run street fluid and pads and then just wait for the crash; so yes, brakes. I'm sure you know it but tires are hugely important, and expensive. On the other hand, some of my favorite memories occurred while driving on worn out tires and brakes.

I've done little to no autocross but have read that it's harder on the car than road courses. You're going to be thrown around in the car quite a bit so you might consider something like this: http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

I'd say start by watching some autocross videos, don't mod the car (except brake fluid and pads if you can swing it) until you've already gone and decide you want to go again. Then you can get serious and spend all your money. It's a curse. The memories are great.

Some highlights: At a driving school, shifting in my seat (couldn't get comfy) and just like that, almost spinning a Formula Ford.
    Driving my RX-7 at high speed into a cloud of dust containing a now invisible, spinning VW Beetle racer.
    Getting beat up as a passenger in a B-Production Corvette roadster w/o a passenger seat. The good old days.
    Inadvertently off roading my Shelby Charger at 70mph.
    Almost blowing up the engine in my 911- shifting into 2nd at 90mph.
    Spinning my 911 due to having a Carrera 4 driving up my butt.
    My wife says I also spun the RX-7. Thanks honey!
    Nepbug destroying me on the Kart track. Wait... not a highlight.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:

My friend Joey

Another milestone today, this time with my '96 EJ22 Outback Joey. He's had a hard life and keeps going without complaint. It might be time to replace the original struts. Other than regular maintenance items, a fuel pump, a recalled alternator and a transmission, Joey's all OEM.
    Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-19-2017 at 12:25 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    My first advice is don't listen to anything I say
    Okay, so... bleed the brakes and don't refill, cut the seat belts out of the car and get as much low as I can get with coilovers, or better yet, hockey pucks. Got ya.

A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post
    Okay, so... bleed the brakes and don't refill, cut the seat belts out of the car and get as much low as I can get with coilovers, or better yet, hockey pucks. Got ya.
    My silly comment was a warning as I'm not considered an expert on pretty much anything. You are making a good point though. Removing the brake fluid, seat belts and suspension would reduce weight and I'm all for that! If you're that dedicated, you might as well remove all of the brake components since you already dumped the brake fluid
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    Pshh. Duh. What was I thinking? Of course, that would be better. Ultraleggerra Del Sol.

Level
    Achievements:

Snow Day

Perfect day to order track tires! Extreme performance 215/40R17 Falken Azenis RT615K+, which will go on 17x8 Kosei K5Rs. No reviews yet on the new "+" tires so wish me luck.

In other news, I managed to lose my spline drive lug nut key- in my driveway!?. I then gutted the interior and the garage looking for it but nothing. Maybe I ate it. After frantic Google searches and help from a local car club, a proper replacement is in the mail.
    Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-19-2017 at 12:26 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:

Camera Mounting Options

1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:

New Shoes

Known as the going to Costco wagon, I should note this pic. was taken at Costco.
    Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-19-2017 at 12:29 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:

Snow tires?

As of five days ago, I was planning my next track day which would be this coming Friday. The weather was expected to be 64 F and sunny. Fast forward to tonight where the track tires are coming off once again because the Friday forecast is now one to two feet of snow, on May 19th. They have to come off as cold weather will crack them. On the other hand, these tires have a level of grip far beyond the Sumitomos. Not even close. Saying that, I'd better improve four seconds per lap or I'm going to look kind of stupid, assuming the snow melts.
    Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-27-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:

The snow is finally gone, so time for the spring brake flush and to put on the track shoes. Since there are no flat spots in Colorado, jacking up the car is always a challenge. This time, with the front of the car nicely in the air, the 1.5 ton race jack slowly fell over. Luckily, the lug nuts were finger tight and wheels still attached. Surprisingly, no damage done but time for a better floor jack. Went to Harbor Freight and picked up this Daytona jack. So much better!

Again, not knowing jack about jacks, I had bought one too small. Lesson learned. Now if it doesn't rain, the race wagon will make it's first track appearance of 2017 on June 24th.
    Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-19-2017 at 12:36 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:

High Plains Raceway - Episode 3

Episode 3 has landed. Viewable up to 1080p

Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-15-2017 at 01:20 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:

On a Diet

Moved weight reduction to page 1 so this is intentionally blank.
    Last edited by Go Mifune; 01-22-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    My Feal front coilover boots became torn. Replacing them would require removal, rebuild, replace and an alignment. As it isn't driven in anything but dry weather, Feal agreed this would be an acceptable solution. They just velcro onto the spring.

I want to be more aggressive with my brakes at the track and so installed the Grimmspeed master cylinder brace. This was recommended by several people here on SLi, so thanks! Haven't tested it properly as my wife and sick cat (he's going to be fine) were in the car. Didn't think it would be appreciated. Sadly, this did add one pound to the curb weight.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Were you able to sort out the shifter bushings? I have a '96 Outback and don't really know what shifter bushings to buy. I know I need a new pivot for sure but didn't want another OEM one...

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Were you able to sort out the shifter bushings? I have a '96 Outback and don't really know what shifter bushings to buy. I know I need a new pivot for sure but didn't want another OEM one...
    It's been quite a while since I looked into this but IIRC, the aftermarket shifter knuckle from Turn In Concepts http://turninconcepts.com/tic-5mt-linkage-update.html won't work on our cars because: "This linkage update is for the pre-2006 Subaru 5MT that DO NOT have the external return spring. Subaru stopped using the external return spring sometime in 1998."

I'm fairly certain our cars have the external return spring and the TIC upgrade is the only one I'm aware of.

There may be a workaround for this as related by Chuckthefuk: "FACT! -> ALL Subaru 5MT linkages can be interchanged."

There's a lot of info in this thread but basically it seems you could take the entire linkage from a 2004 WRX -as an example- and install that in your car. Then the TIC shifter knuckle would definitely work, plus you could pick up an OEM short shifter for cheap.
    https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.ph...T-gt-BE-BH-5MT

For the shifter stay bushings, I bought the Kartboy KB-003 front and rear but could only confirm that the rear is correct for the '97 Legacy.
    I haven't done the repair yet as the job looks like a royal pain in the ass, plus I only go between 3rd and 4th on the track and haven't missed a shift yet. Of course I should do it eventually.

If anything I wrote here is wrong, I hope someone else corrects me. Let us know if you have success and welcome to the Forum!
    1996 Outback 5 speed

It's been quite a while since I looked into this but IIRC, the aftermarket shifter knuckle from Turn In Concepts http://turninconcepts.com/tic-5mt-linkage-update.html won't work on our cars because: "This linkage update is for the pre-2006 Subaru 5MT that DO NOT have the external return spring. Subaru stopped using the external return spring sometime in 1998."

I'm fairly certain our cars have the external return spring and the TIC upgrade is the only one I'm aware of.

There may be a workaround for this as related by Chuckthefuk: "FACT! -> ALL Subaru 5MT linkages can be interchanged."

There's a lot of info in this thread but basically it seems you could take the entire linkage from a 2004 WRX -as an example- and install that in your car. Then the TIC shifter knuckle would definitely work, plus you could pick up an OEM short shifter for cheap.
    https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.ph...T-gt-BE-BH-5MT

For the shifter stay bushings, I bought the Kartboy KB-003 front and rear but could only confirm that the rear is correct for the '97 Legacy.
    I haven't done the repair yet as the job looks like a royal pain in the ass, plus I only go between 3rd and 4th on the track and haven't missed a shift yet. Of course I should do it eventually.

If anything I wrote here is wrong, I hope someone else corrects me. Let us know if you have success and welcome to the Forum!
    Thank you! And thanks for the welcome.

I did know that our cars had the external spring, which is why I never bought the TIC pivot. I didn't know that the shifter linkages were all interchangeable, though. There's a bugeye 2.5RS in the junkyard. I'm going to see if I can take the shifter linkage from that, and then buy a TIC Holy Shift kit for the 2.5RS.

You're right, though, the job looks pretty terrible to do, especially if I put the stock 2.5RS linkage in, confirm it works, then take it all apart to install the updated bushings.

Level
    Achievements:
    I hate to mention this but you'd probably get a quick and definitive answer for the linkage question on the SL-i Facebook page.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:

Below 2800 pounds!

Deka ETX-12 AGM battery. Inexpensive way ($67) to lose twenty one pounds. Starts as easily as the 31 pound battery and weighs 9.8 pounds on my bath scale. Need to see if any issues arise, make a less janky hold down and possibly add a thermal blanket - not as big an issue since not a turbo. Should be below 2800 pounds full tank right now.

Sad news (for me). Stopped in to bother my alignment guy only to find out that he left to become a development driver for Tesla. So maybe he did know what he was talking about?
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast