Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Go Mifune's '97 L Wagon

Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    I bet the cold air helped a lot with the faster times, but it also might have been the change is driving technique that was working better for you. Overall your lines seemed pretty good to me. Seeing that GTI struggle to pass you makes me really want to get mine out there, it will probably be a pretty close battle as my GTI is not turbo charged and that turbo one wasn't exactly drastically faster than you.

In the meantime, maybe we should get together to do some racing at the Bandimere Go Karts. They are a blast and wearing the thick racing suits is better suited for the cold weather anyways. I'll have to look, they often have Groupon 2 for 1 deals going there.

Looks like they have a groupon but now go by time, it used to be a 10-lap race. Still a fun deal.
    https://www.groupon.com/deals/action-karting-8

I think you hit near 50mph on the front straight in those karts.

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Mifune View Post
    High Plains Raceway had a free customer appreciation day. It was cold but a very good day. Well, except for the Infiniti which was on a manufacturer's plate so someone is taking heat.
    Nicely edited together! Even better to watch your Legacy in motion. 9 seconds is a HUGE difference from your PB in September, great work! High Plains seems like it really benefits high HP cars with big, fast sweepers. I'd love to see your car on a tighter course where you can make the best use of the available traction & not be reliant on big HP to sling shot you down the track. Any other plans for it in 2017?

I'm curious, how much quicker was that Mk7 GTi?
    '95 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon - Original Owner lBBS l CUSCO l WHITELINE l SPT
    '98 BMW E36 M3
    '18 VW Alltrack SE DSG
    '01.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro/Manual/APR Stage 2

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug View Post
    In the meantime, maybe we should get together to do some racing at the Bandimere Go Karts. They are a blast and wearing the thick racing suits is better suited for the cold weather anyways.
    I got to do several laps in a shifter Kart years ago. It was fun but it was very odd for me. The tach shook so much that I couldn't read it and just shifted when it hit redline. Also, sitting so low to the ground was spatially confusing. It felt like the track was miles wide. So of course I'd like to do that with you! Unfortunately I have the flu right now. I was feeling crappy at the track and then it really hit on the drive home.

Regarding my laps, I agree the cold air was most of the improved acceleration but won't know for sure till summer. The rear bar set on full absolutely killed the understeer and if I was a bit braver and nothing else, I could have taken another second or so off of my times. One lap, on the last corner coming onto the long straight, I gave it too much steering on purpose just to see if it would spin. It just turned more so there's definitely room for improvement with my driving.

Update: After watching the September and December videos side by side, it seems that most of the lowered lap times came from the straights rather than the corners. September was 85 degrees F vs. 50 for December; which means I won't know anything till June or so. Drats!
    Last edited by Go Mifune; 01-06-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed
    1997 Legacy L wagon 5 speed Member's Ride I thread

"You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli." Pops Racer

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by peugoby View Post
    High Plains seems like it really benefits high HP cars with big, fast sweepers.
    I'm curious, how much quicker was that Mk7 GTi?
    That's what I keep telling myself! More POWWERR! Thanks for the kind words.
    I'm not sure about the GTi but a guess would be about a 2:20 plus or minus.
    I saw a Youtube video where a 2008 stock GTi with good tires and upgraded brakes did a 2:17
    I've seen an early WRX do a 2:26 on all season tires
    I talked to a built STi driver this summer who is doing about a 2:13
    That Corvette with the wing in my video does about a 1:57
    And those Spec Miata's are doing 2:10s

I'm sure going to miss your car on SLi but good luck selling it. She's a beauty!
    And for what's next, I'll have a post shortly
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    I've had numerous people tell me my wheels are too narrow for the track (17 X 7 BBS RKs) so I've been shopping. I desperately wanted Enkei RPF1s but shouldn't be spending that much. Tire Rack is having a closeout on Kosei K5Rs so yippee, I got some! One inch wider and one pound lighter than the BBS RKs. Fender rolling is probably needed but maybe not much as Tire Rack has these fitting my car (48 offset). Now the question is to keep the RKs or not.

It will probably be June before tires are bought so something else to decide. Also got these for Christmas. If I get the new tires this summer, I'd better keep a low profile for awhile. My wife is wonderfully supportive but everyone has their limits.

Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-19-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    Still have the flu but couldn't wait to do a fitting. Strut clearance for miles but fenders are a question till tires. These aren't my favorite wheels for looks but they do appear better in person than in photos. I'm thinking 215/40/17 for a slight gearing advantage plus lighter weight tires. A few months to decide so no hurry. And again-Kosei K5R, 17x8, 48 offset, 16.3 pounds which agrees with my bathroom scale. Apologies for the dirty car but haven't touched it since the track day.

Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-19-2017 at 12:14 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    Kosei wheels are a popular track choice. I have a couple of Kosei K1 sets for the GTI. They don't seem to be that durable though, I have a cracked one and bent one that was from the previous owner driving on them and hitting a pot hole. If I were you I would drive some all seasons to the track and then switch wheels there. They are cast wheels and not forged, so that is probably why they are slightly lower on the strength. Nice and light though!

Level
    Achievements:
    If I were you I would drive some all seasons to the track and then switch wheels there. They are cast wheels and not forged, so that is probably why they are slightly lower on the strength.
    Agreed but it's going to come down to 2017 income I'm afraid. Four scenarios:
    #1 (perfect world) Keep BBS wheels and get A/S tires. It would be nice to be able to drive at temps. below 40F and save my track tires.
    #2 (instant gratification) Sell the BBS wheels in the spring and buy something like 16" WRX takeoffs and A/S tires in the fall, giving me the tire money upfront.
    #3 (hard times) Do as now where my track tires/wheels are also for the street. Bent/cracked wheel could be a concern and these wheels are discontinued. On the other hand, in my 42 years (holy crap I'm old!) of driving, I've never damaged a wheel; except for that time when a truck attempted to take the side off of my RX-7.
    #4 Find a better job:-)

Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-19-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    Whiteline front and rear end links installed. They've started using salt on the roads in Colorado so I might not know how these feel till spring.

Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-19-2017 at 12:20 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered
    Great thread and enjoying the progress on your car!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    Great thread and enjoying the progress on your car!
    Thanks very much! I'm having way too much fun with SLi, especially my member's ride thread and have learned a lot from this forum. I see that you're new here so welcome!
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    Whiteline front and rear end links installed. They've started using salt on the roads in Colorado so I might not know how these feel till spring.

Yeah, I hate that they started using salt out here, seriously ticks me off.

Level
    Achievements:
    BTW, I forgot to ask, what rear diff are you running? Is it open, VLSD, CLSD or Torsen?

You're 3.90 final gearing, right? I have a 3.90 CLSD in my garage right now, that might get swapped into my Outback Sport project, but that could also be nice on the track.

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks very much! I'm having way too much fun with SLi, especially my member's ride thread and have learned a lot from this forum. I see that you're new here so welcome!
    thanks! I need to post up a thread about my current project, a 97 outback that I'm trying to restore. I've already bought a wrecked limited for the interior and dash and now I'm looking at a 99 limited this weekend to steal most of the removable body parts off of...I;m having a blast though!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    thanks! I need to post up a thread about my current project, a 97 outback that I'm trying to restore.
    I look forward to your thread! Do you live in a rust state? Only asking because it sounds like that with all of the parts cars. When living in Illinois, I was lucky to be able to store my good car in the garage during winter.

BTW, I forgot to ask, what rear diff are you running? Is it open, VLSD, CLSD or Torsen?
    It's open AFAIK but have this fantasy of eventually doing a 4.44 final drive and LS diff with my current 5-speed. Probably will never happen but the 4.44 gears are still available; $345 through RalliSpec. Haven't priced labor but that will probably kill it right there.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    I look forward to your thread! Do you live in a rust state? Only asking because it sounds like that with all of the parts cars. When living in Illinois, I was lucky to be able to store my good car in the garage during winter.

It's open AFAIK but have this fantasy of eventually doing a 4.44 final drive and LS diff with my current 5-speed. Probably will never happen but the 4.44 gears are still available; $345 through RalliSpec. Haven't priced labor but that will probably kill it right there.
    Maybe consider a 4.11 Outback or Forester transmission in the meantime. I think the only factory 4.44 5MT that is "easy" to get is the FXT 5MT from 2004 - 2008 (or the Baja turbo).

I think the rallispec kit you are referring to is this one, right?
    http://www.rallispec.com/gea_syn_rst1141.html

That basically gives you the ratios of the JDM GD WRX. The US FXT 5mts have shorter 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears from that. First gear probably doesn't matter much unless you are doing autocross, really for bigger tracks it's going to be the third gear difference that you would notice, and it probably depends on the track as to whether the rallispec one is better or the forester one is.

Oh, and I don't believe that the rallispec kit come with the 4.44 ring and pinion, so you'd still need to source that.

I think you're best bet for 4.44 is the USDM FXT or Baja Turbo 5MTs or roll the dice with a JDM transmission.

For the best bang for your buck though, try a 4.11 Outback or Forester (non-turbo) 5MT. You can pull one out of a junk yard for $150 and then get a 4.11 rear diff for another $75 or so (might as well find a VLSD for it). That's a pretty cheap way to experiment with different gearing (assuming you do the swap yourself instead of at a shop).

Edit: I just looked at the rallispec kit again, it looks like that you buy the gears and then buy the install kit, so probably $1500 or so before labor.

Level
    Achievements:
    Maybe consider a 4.11 Outback or Forester transmission in the meantime.
    I just looked at the rallispec kit again, it looks like that you buy the gears and then buy the install kit, so probably $1500 or so before labor.
    Yeah, really kills that idea! There is a 4.11 tranny sitting fifteen feet from the Legacy right now in the form of my '96 Outback. Horrible amount of swap work but a possibility. Combined with slightly undersized tire height, ( they're slightly oversized now) this might be worthwhile.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    Yeah, really kills that idea! There is a 4.11 tranny sitting fifteen feet from the Legacy right now in the form of my '96 Outback. Horrible amount of swap work but a possibility. Combined with slightly undersized tire height, ( they're slightly oversized now) this might be worthwhile.
    Yeah, and then there is the risk of taking down two cars at once instead of just one.

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    To weigh in my lousy .02c no one asked for I'd personally stick with the 3.9 you have and look to add a limited slip rear differential at some point in time.

I have a 4.11 in my 2.2L 2nd gen gen wagon with a rear LSD and I really like it. It is great, the gears are extremely short so I'm never far from the engines limited power band. 1st gear goes by in a flash. On anything downhill I usually just feather start it in second. Second gear will barely get you to 50mph before you're hitting redline. I don't even know if you have can hit 70mph in 3rd!

With all that said I personally couldn't justify the amount of labor & cost associated it'd take to go from 3.9 to a 4.11 with that amount of power. I think money could be better spent elsewhere or deposited into a savings account for an engine swap further down the road.
    '95 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon - Original Owner lBBS l CUSCO l WHITELINE l SPT
    '98 BMW E36 M3
    '18 VW Alltrack SE DSG
    '01.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro/Manual/APR Stage 2

Level
    Achievements:
    You're both right but a boy can dream. I'm getting better at working on the old wagon but that does seem like an awful amount of work. If I need a clutch and/or go with a lightweight flywheel some year, then it's a possibility. For now, I've got a couple more cheap weight reduction things to do plus saving for tires.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    I live in Texas but the car is from Teluride, CO so its rusty I have one wrecked Limited outback that is unrusted and I'm going to look at another Legacy wagon with a messed up motor this week to get all of the Outback delift stuff.

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    31 days registeredCreated Album pictures250 Experience Points
    Spotted?! Highway 74 from Evergreen to Morrison?

Level
    Achievements:
    Yes, that was me. Haven't driven it since December 27th so the nice weather was the perfect excuse. Were you driving your wagon? I saw a maroon wagon months ago in North Evergreen with an SL-i sticker. Was that you?
    1996 Outback 5 speed

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    31 days registeredCreated Album pictures250 Experience Points
    It was not, I was on a white CB1000R motorcycle. One of my favorite passes on the bike, good friend of mine works at All Roos. Btw that thing is super clean! Props man!

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonRoo View Post
    It was not, I was on a white CB1000R motorcycle. One of my favorite passes on the bike, good friend of mine works at All Roos. Btw that thing is super clean! Props man!
    Yeah, I like those guys at All Roos and get gas there just so I can bug them with stupid questions. CB1000R, that's pretty hot! I've never had a bike and was itching years ago to get a Honda F600 but my wife pulled the plug on that idea real quick. Probably for the best as I was dangerous on four wheels back then let alone two.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:

Karting

Went karting with Nepbug today! Maybe not Legacy related except: A-Drove the Legacy there. B- Kind of was practice for the track. C-With Nepbug who drove his sweet Forester XT. Being old and weak, I didn't do well but it was great fun! If we do this again I'll remember to charge up my camera.

1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    Went karting with Nepbug today! Maybe not Legacy related except: A-Drove the Legacy there. B- Kind of was practice for the track. C-With Nepbug who drove his sweet Forester XT. Being old and weak, I didn't do well but it was great fun! If we do this again I'll remember to charge up my camera.

Yeah, that was a fun time. I have a nice bruise on my back where the seat was banging against me. I need to get some dense foam to slip into the back of those racing suits, this happened to me last time too.

I figure we go for another 2 race session and you'll be qualified for the 9 hp karts and they should have the second of those karts built by then, then we'll try out those ones.

Watching the video, it is a shame that the battery died. The video shows you lifting off the throttle in places I know you were going flat-out later on. Dropping 4 seconds on your best lap was a huge improvement.

Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks for sending over the pics! Tylenol is my friend today; those karts killed my shoulders but worth it. I'd be up for the 9 hp karts after more practice as those yesterday sure were slow on the straights. Hope you don't mind but can't resist posting at least one embarrassing photo (Nepbug on right).

Last edited by Go Mifune; 07-19-2017 at 12:22 AM.
    1996 Outback 5 speed

Level
    Achievements:
    Haha, yeah, my shoulders were a bit sore today too, but I was trying to convince myself that it was because I split a bunch of wood in the afternoon too, i would've been fine otherwise . That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! LOL

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Hahaha! awesome pic, guys!

You make me want to try out the new karting facility near me and Rkrenicki. But it's not cheap....
    2002 Outback H6 VDC "Blitzen 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster6
    A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast