Thread: Return of the Twincharge: 2/18 - Datalog comparisons!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Return of the Twincharge: 2/18 - Datalog comparisons!

A long time ago, I cobbled together a twin charger system using an Eaton M62 and custom-mounted TD04. Since then, I've done a full WRX hybrid build complete with forged pistions.

I also got a degree in Mechanical Engineering, so I'm planning on using some of those skills to make this all work...

The goal is to increase low end power and reduce turbo lag.

Phase 1 will set the the wastegate to control the compressor speed to match the mass flow of the M62: a balanced system.

Phase 2 will get trickier, and will involve an Arduino-based control system to bypass the supercharger once the turbo starts to overtake it. I'll be copying the setup VW uses:

UPDATE:
    Datalog results and video proof:

UPDATE: The initial changeover code works: Quick video:

I've written some pseudo-code for how the control system will work. But I'm still working out whether to use static pressure measurements before and after each air-handling device, or mass flow. The latter seems more reliable since it'll account for changes in air temperature.

Anyway, this'll be a drawn-out project since this is my only vehicle, and daily driver to and from work.

So, I picked up another Mercedes M62 from eBay, and started thinking figuring what needs to move and how to mount it.

The current status of the car:

More to come...

- Nord
    Last edited by anothernord; 02-29-2016 at 10:59 AM.