Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 98 Legacy GT-B Limited

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Nice work, glad you were able to keep it on the road! I found out build numbers for the limited btw, 2318 manuals (3606 autos). So not a whole heap!

Level
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdspec View Post
    What gauge pod is this?
    It's from ebay, there's a 52mm Version (which I got) and a 60mm Version.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-...YAAOSwNuxXb8Vg

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Nice work, glad you were able to keep it on the road! I found out build numbers for the limited btw, 2318 manuals (3606 autos). So not a whole heap!
    Nice, hey seemed rare, it almost took a year until another one showed up for sale here, but I didn't know that just so few were made
    Current cars: 97 Legacy GT-B Auto, 98 Legacy GT-B Limited Manual, 96 Golf Syncro 16V (WIP), 86 Scirocco 16V GTX (WIP), 76 Golf LS (Future Project)

Level
    Achievements:
    So I had some time off work last week, but it was mostly stuffed with doing stuff I had to do... like getting the parts car finished, or at least close, so it finally can get crushed, fixing a friend's Polo 6N, etc. etc.
    Tuesday I figured, I should do something fun at least, so I got my spare sets of headlights out and mod them a little, mostly following the How To someone posted on a different forum.

...fired up the oven to 140°C and put one headlight after another in it for 7-10min, figured I would give them some extra minutes to get them extra crispy!

Both sets opened...

...and further taken apart. The orange caps went straight to the trash.

Both chrome masks painted flat black, gave the DE-lens surround a paint job out of heat resistant, black paint.

Assembled both headlights, pushed them together as much as I could and then did bake them at 140°C for 7-10min again to get the glue soft again. Worked just fine, no new glue needed!
    Once they were cold again they went straight onto the car.

I love how the front end looks now, just how I wanted it.
    Did the spares for my daily too, but they are very yellow, so I'll have to give them a good sand, polish and paint first, before I can make the front on the daily just look like this.
    Current cars: 97 Legacy GT-B Auto, 98 Legacy GT-B Limited Manual, 96 Golf Syncro 16V (WIP), 86 Scirocco 16V GTX (WIP), 76 Golf LS (Future Project)

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Great work! I love how little of a change it is but how big of a difference it makes.

Level
    Achievements:
    @ Somac
    Just my thoughts. Little change, big effect. Looks all fresh and nice with the smol update.

@ Topic
    There's a little update on this I forgot to share on here...
    The other GT-B Limited I bought as a daily just had an engine failure on the Nordschleife in August, still have to start a thread on here about it, but oh well..
    While it was rebuilding that engine, I decided to put the bumper of the new Legacy on my summer Legacy.
    It had (one) parking sensor and a bumper protector, so hence why there still are some holes that need to get closed before.
    Backdoor still needs to be replaced too, got a new one in the garage, but atm it just is too cold for painting, that'll have to wait till next year.
    Name:  LegacyGTB_291.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  148.1 KB

Also fitted my spare fake Akrapovic tailpipe, despite the exhaust getting bend a little in the accident, it still fits well. xD
    Name:  LegacyGTB_292.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  107.4 KB

Then I just had to fit a Hoonigan sticker to the windshield, adding a little gold to the front.
    Name:  LegacyGTB_293.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  162.4 KB

Now the real reason for this update is that finally my coilovers arrived!
    I had quite a journey getting these but finally they are here.
    Again I just went with what some other guy at UKLegacy already did.

The user I got the idea from also was the reason why I craved a Legacy GT-B Limited myself and as his wheel size was very similar, if not the same as the size of my Enkeis.
    I figured I would just go with his setup for the coilovers then as it's the stance I wanna reach...
    Was even more firm with that decision after I testfitted the wheels and realized how tight fit they really were with the stock dampers already.
    As he had posted some details about the springs and dampers he used, I just poked BC Racing directly, if they couldn't make me a set to these specs right from the factory.
    And turns out they could!
    But then...I live in Germany, turned out they couldn't sell me a set here...but no problem, they poked their german reseller K-Sport.
    As it turned out though, they sell the K-Sport (different colored D2 coilovers) here too and oh well... they focus on that brand and wouldn't sell me a BC Racing set here...
    They could do shortened dampers and springs, too, but since I wanted the adjustable upside down design, both which isn't available on the K-Sports, I poked BC Racing UK again.
    In the end BC Racing just needed an address in the UK, so I gave them the address of a friend, paid and then waited...
    2-3 Weeks was their estimated delivery time, but nothing happened. Waited another two weeks, but nothing, no set, no email...
    Messaged BC Racing again, they gave me the tracking number and turned out that they sent it with Parcelforce (uughh), they apperantly tried to deliver it three times, but my friend never got a card from Parcelforce... and it had been sitting in their depot for almost two weeks.
    So my friend called them, got told he would need to come, pick them up and he said he would do that on the weekend after.
    On friday BC Racing messaged me out of a sudden and told me they got the set back.
    Gave them the address of another friend, this time they sent it out with UPS and it finally arrived at my friend's place the day after.
    So he did send it to my german address with DPD then...which also was quite more expensive than I thought.
    Apperantly packages from the UK are only insured up to £50, extra insurance for the value of the set was more than the shipping itself, something that is a little different from shipping packages to the UK as in our price insurance up to 2000€ or so is already included.

Long story short...they are here! They look amazing, almost too good to actually use them.
    But that'll have to wait till April now anway. Need to do a new TÜV inspection on the Legacy next year when it's back on the road and the car has to be all road legal for this to pass it.
    Sadly the coilovers and Enkei rims are all import stuff without certificates, so I'll have to go to a special shop to get them approved and legalized . Yay for german laws.
    Anyway, have some pics!
    Name:  LegacyGTB_294.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  210.5 KB
    Name:  LegacyGTB_295.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  210.6 KB

Before the winter I decided to replace the cheap repo china MAF.
    Back when I rebuilt the engine and had it back running, the CEL showed and also reported the MAF as a problem.
    After I checked all wiring, the only solution was to get a new MAF to check if it actually was faulty.
    Nobody around had a fitting or working MAF though, and a new part from Subaru would be 500Euro+.
    If I had gotten a used OEM MAF and the CEl showed up again, I never would've known if the new MAF was faulty too, or if it really was just a different problem after all.
    Hence why I decided to go with the cheap china repo MAF, it worked, CEL was off and the Legacy did run.
    But it never did run super fine. Pushing the clutch at high RPM, it would drop down to 0 sometimes and shut off... or the idle RPM was changing...
    I suspected the MAF to be the problem, so I got a refurbed OEM one (from china too, heh) and put it in after I got it... a quick comparison to the China Repo:
    OEM MAF has the correct orange sticker, plastic thins down at the end.

Biggest difference on the inside, while the OEM MAF has a flat resistor after the heating, the china one just has a thick, round resistor.
    With the genuine MAF, the Legacy now runs a lot better. Idles very smooth and the oil temperatures have dropped quite a bit!
    While I had nothing suspicious really at daily driving, oil temps on the Nordschleife or Autobahn would still get up to 120-130C, though I had the big oil cooler installed.
    Now after getting the genuine MAF in, oil temps dropped a lot. On normal use 10C and on the Autobahn or Nordschleife, I reach 110C max.!
    Guess with the China MAF it had been running way too lean on high RPM.
    It feels more powerfull on low RPMs now, too...so overall a good decision to throw the China stuff out and go back to Japan.

Finally I gave it a good wash and coat with Liquid Glass before the winter sleep.

...and I had to do one last drive to the Nordschleife on the last day my reg was valid...sadly the Ring was closed though.
    Last edited by GShep; 12-28-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Awesome car! Will this thread updated once again?
    '95 Subaru Legacy BG4 EJ2.0E MT EDM (Sold)
    '96 Subaru Legacy BD5 EJ2.5D AT USDM (Sold)
    '95 Subaru Legacy BG5 EJ2.0H Single-turbo GT-B Limited JDM 5spd AT (Sold) [RE-BOUGHT]
    '00 Subaru Legacy BE5 EJ208 Twin-turbo MT JDM(Sold)
    '99 Subaru Legacy BH5 EJ206 Single-turbo AT JDM(Sold)
    '03 Subaru Legacy BP5 EJ20Y AT Twinscroll turbo JDM(Sold)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12