Thread: Lowering a BH5 Outback - JDM Bilsteins vs. Koni inserts/H&R springs

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points

Lowering a BH5 Outback - JDM Bilsteins vs. Koni inserts/H&R springs

Hi guys,

I have a 2004 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 5MT wagon. I'm looking to lower it a bit from the current height for the summer time as I plan on tracking it every now and then. I'm not going to bother with junk coilovers and don't have the $1500+ to spend on quality coilovers, so I'm sticking with a quality spring/shock setup.

Right now, I'm stuck between two options:

1) JDM Bilstein struts/shocks and either leaving the stock springs or throwing STI/H&R springs on

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru-L...xXFR2d&vxp=mtr

2) Stock struts with Koni inserts and H&R springs

I live in an area with heavy saltings and bad roads, but I don't mind a harsher ride since I'm used to cars with blown out struts. I prioritize handling over harshness here.

The JDM struts are going to be a bit cheaper, but they're also used and offer no adjustability like the Konis do.

Any opinions between the two?

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    I have no experience with Koni inserts.. but I will say that the Bilstein and GT-B spring combination will be significantly lower than the stock Outback height. You will need to at the very least change out your rear bump stops and rear upper lateral link with those from a Legacy, otherwise you will be constantly riding on the stops.

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Thanks for the tips!

I went through the "Lowering the Outback the right way" thread and I was trying to compose a list of all of the parts needed to be taken from a donor Legacy and it almost seems like a better option to buy a donor car, haha. Unfortunately no junkyards around me have regular Legacies so I'll have to grab parts somehow.

Looks like I'll be going with the JDM Bilsteins along with the H&R Sport springs as I've seen a few pictures now and it's just about the exact height I'd like. I won't need the adjustability of the Konis so that's a good amount of money saved that can be applied toward getting 4/2 pot brakes.
    Last edited by Somac; 03-08-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    So, I'm planning on going with Outback fitment KYB struts, strut tops, and H&R lowering springs. This should tuck the stock 16" wheel + tire nicely inside the fender without sacrificing a ton of ground clearance. I was never much of a slammed ride guy.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free