Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Somac's '04 Outback Wagon - How to Ruin a Daily Driver

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    You work quickly! I can't wait to see the end result - should look amazing! Hopefully those Bilstein/STi spring combo come through. I too, have wasted way too much money to have a "Stock" looking car lol
    '95 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon - Original Owner lBBS l CUSCO l WHITELINE l SPT
    '98 BMW E36 M3
    '18 VW Alltrack SE DSG
    '01.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro/Manual/APR Stage 2

Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points
    I'll make it work one way or another. A buddy of mine is a great body guy with a nice shop and he's the one that is going to paint the car. He just finished up a custom widebody bugeye WRX, so I'll trust him to make this work, too.

I guess my complaining accomplishes something. Bilsteins with STI pink springs, aluminum control arms, and spoiler are officially on their way. I want to pull the trigger on some Cusco front and rear strut bars at the same time, but might hold off for a little bit to let the bank account heal.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki View Post
    JDM fenders will not fit properly on a North American car. :/
    Out of curiosity, why won't the JDM fenders work? I figured worst case scenario I would just run them. Is it just another cladding won't line up issue?

Quote Originally Posted by peugoby View Post
    You work quickly! I can't wait to see the end result - should look amazing! Hopefully those Bilstein/STi spring combo come through. I too, have wasted way too much money to have a "Stock" looking car lol
    Thank you! They're coming through now from the looks of it. Should be shipped out tomorrow. I do love your Legacy, though. Something about a clean 2nd gen wagon is just great. I love the look of stock JDM but I also have to do my spin on it, even if it's minor.
    Last edited by Somac; 04-17-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Somac View Post
    Out of curiosity, why won't the JDM fenders work? I figured worst case scenario I would just run them. Is it just another cladding won't line up issue?
    The profile of the fenders leave huge gaps by the doors. To put it another way, the shape, if you look down the fender, from the front is different profile from the US ones.
    2002 Outback H6 VDC "Blitzen 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster6
    A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

Level
    Achievements:
    Hmm, that's disappointing. What do people normally do when trying to go to a JDM front end then? Just run USDM Legacy fenders?

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Hmm, that's disappointing. What do people normally do when trying to go to a JDM front end then? Just run USDM Legacy fenders?
    Yes, they match up the closest.

Level
    Achievements:

Am I OEM yet?

JDM Legacy Momo wheel and OEM Subaru Momo knob came in at the same time today! Very happy with them. Both of them are near mint condition. Going to try to install them tonight if I can work up the motivation.

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Am I OEM yet?

JDM Legacy Momo wheel and OEM Subaru Momo knob came in at the same time today! Very happy with them. Both of them are near mint condition. Going to try to install them tonight if I can work up the motivation.
    I rock the same shift knob and a similar MOMO wheel. Great combo - even better taste! You'll love the shift knob. I've had a bunch of different ones and these are by far my favorite.
    '95 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon - Original Owner lBBS l CUSCO l WHITELINE l SPT
    '98 BMW E36 M3
    '18 VW Alltrack SE DSG
    '01.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro/Manual/APR Stage 2

Level
    Achievements:
    My favorite as well. I needed a good 4 spoke wheel and after driving quite a few friends' WRXs with these wheels, I loved it. Same thing with the shift knob. The slight amount of aluminum is great, imo. Should pair nicely if I can find an STI shift bezel for cheap. I almost wanted to swap my now-black interior pieces for silver Baja pieces I found because I liked it so much, but it's would definitely be way too much silver.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, nothing crazy in the way of updates.

Got the Momo wheel and shifter installed. Pretty happy with both of them.

Still have to pull the chip off my BFM and correct the mileage. Haven't played with my EEPROM programmer yet.

Front end finally showed up. There was a fun mess-up on these being shipped where they got loaded onto the wrong truck and sent to Pennsylvania instead, so it took an extra day to get to me.

(I already removed most of the packaging material for this pic, so don't be scared of poor packing)

Then spent part of the weekend working on a buddy's big turbo RWD blobeye WRX and getting his JDM Evo Recaros mounted in with custom brackets.

The JDM front end has some really nice looking paint on it, but sadly does not match mine. This is how I find out that there is yet another black pearl paint code in Japan that looks like it has a gold pearl rather than red, blue, or brown like GBP, OBP, or JBP.

The Bilsteins, control arms, and spoiler should be showing up on Tuesday in one package and the JDM 4 pots should be showing up then as well.

There's a big car show on the 30th (MSU Annual Spring Car Show) so I'm going to see if I can get:

Front end
    Bilsteins
    Control arms
    Whiteline arms
    Spoiler
    Brakes

All installed before then.

Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Your building is coming alone nicely!
    I have a BFM sitting at home that I might try and work into my 2nd gen. Yours looks sweet and I would love to have the same thing going on in mine.

How are you mounting up your 2 pots in the rear? Backing plates or adaptor brackets? I imported a set from Japan that should be here in a couple of weeks (on the slow boat) and went the bracket route just based on cost. Picked up a set from Godspeed in the UK here -----> http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/impr...tting-kit.html

They were the least expensive set I could find and the quality seems quite good.

Ryan

Level
    Achievements:
    Thank you!

I'll probably be going with 06/07 WRX backing plates. It'll give me a chance to do my rear wheel bearings at the same time as preventative maintenance.

I saw those cheap UK adapters but had trouble finding people for reviews on them. They're awfully cheap and look like a much more sensible option compared to Kartboy brackets, but not being able to find many install pics or people using them made me question them.

Maybe I'll use those after all.

Level
    Achievements:
    The WRX backing plates are quite different from the BE/BH plates. It would take some fairly significant modification to make them work.

The only bolt-in backing plates that would work for this are the plates from an S401 (which is a restricted part, and cannot be purchased without owning an S401), and the S401 clone plates that are no longer available for purchase new. You *MIGHT* have some luck finding some used plates on YAJ, but they are likely going to be pretty pricey.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well color me an idiot. rkrenicki for the save again, lol. I was led to believe that the backing plates were identical minus the difference in the caliper mounting bolt spacing. I guess I'll have to go with the bracket then.

Level
    Achievements:
    Having a rough day at work? Try having car parts delivered to your work and see just how much your mood changes!

I now have all of my suspension and none of the time.

My list of "Waiting on install" is a bit intimidating for ~4 days' time, I'm starting to see.

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by peugoby View Post
    I rock the same shift knob and a similar MOMO wheel. Great combo - even better taste! You'll love the shift knob. I've had a bunch of different ones and these are by far my favorite.
    I do, too, except I have the A-C type sportshift wheel, with the black ring, not silver.
    2002 Outback H6 VDC "Blitzen 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster6
    A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

Level
    Achievements:
    Found some STI door sills, a Cusco front strut bar, and a type-D headlight leveling switch so those are on the way.

Also ordered the Godspeed style rear 2 pot brackets. Looks like getting these brakes on is going to take longer than expected. Ordered Subaru rebuild kits for the 4/2 pots so they'll be nice and fresh, along with some new decals from Graphix By Tex. For $20, they'll send you the correct size decals for the correct calipers (flat vs raised text - mine are flat) along with a couple extras in case you mess up. Gonna glass blast the calipers and probably go with a nice bright gloss blue to match the Cusco and interior stuff. Going to be doing the intake manifold the same color a while down the road.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, progress is slow and/or halted for now. I've been so busy that I haven't been able to actually put anything on the car. I went to Germany back in January/February for a month for work to train. The person I trained with now got sent here for a few weeks and I'm basically her chaperone, so every day and night is spent showing her around the US, which means no car time or I'm too tired to do work to it.

I got my Megan camber arms to finish off the major suspension parts. Every part of the rear multi link setup will be new and aftermarket. I'm sure I'll end up with a Whiteline ALK and some other bushings, too, but those are all minor.

Also got stock Outback lights with enough extra wiring to tie back into the major bundle of chassis wiring without looking out of place. Going to make an adapter for the JDM lights so I can go back and forth between them if I want to. I'll just be glad to get rid of the chrome Legacy lights and maybe fix my wiring issue with the one high beam stuck on and not being able to use the other high beam.

Glassblasted my 4/2 pots at work. Getting them ready for powdercoating or painting. Haven't decided which I'll actually do yet. Trying to tell myself powdercoating isn't worth it and to just paint them, but they'll probably get powdercoated.

Also realized I never posted pictures from putting the Team Dynamics wheels on. They're super funky at this height and they're still mismatched colors because I can't decide on which color to go with. I think it'll be a gloss gunmetal gray.

For now, that's unfortunately it. I truly wish I had more time to work on this. The little amount of fun I've been able to have on the road is riding my brother's Yamaha R1 he just picked up. Makes me want to get back on a bike more and more and just get an R6 or other 600cc crotch rocket instead of doing anything to the engine on this wagon.

Level
    Achievements:
    For the first time since I've owned this car, I have fog lights! And more importantly, I'm no longer blinding people with a bunk high beam bulb stuck on.

The PO was a bit more of a hack than I was expecting. He wired the driver side headlight incorrectly which caused the high beam to be stuck on, but lucky for me, he was such a hack that all he did was twist the wires on the new connector together and electrical tape them, rather than actually soldering them or even using crimp connectors.

Also wired up an adapter for the JDM headlights just to try them out. They work, which is nice, but I hated the idea of connecting two 12 gauge wires to a single 16 gauge wire and powering the HIDs like that. I'm probably going to make a relay harness to directly power the HIDs from the battery with some heavier gauge wiring.

Got some more fun parts in the mail, too.

Killer B EJ25 Ultimate Oil Pickup and Windage Tray. Should pair nicely with the STI ELH oil pan I got. "Track ready" is starting to feel like something that's possible with this thing, but the time I have to get it done is dwindling.

And to finish it all off, the Godspeed rear brake adapters and the decals for the flat text 4/2 pots. Bought them from Graphix By Tex. He included tons of extras so I won't feel too bad about playing around with colors on the calipers.

And on that note, the wheels and calipers are getting sent off to powdercoat. Going with a (close to) Cusco blue on the calipers and a gunmetal gray for the wheels. Pretty excited to see the results.
    Last edited by Somac; 05-14-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Nice brakes. H&R makes the best coil springs for the Legacy/Outback Wagon in terms of handling. The pink springs will make the car sit higher than H&R and will only provide a small amount of handling over the OEM's since they are not progressive rate coils. If that's the type of ride you're looking for then that's a good thing, just wanted to let you know since I've reasearched/test nearly every lowering spring for a 00'-04'. I personally thought the H&R's were TOO stiff for daily driving and my car sat very uneven on them since they are made for a wagon. Also keep in mind that many JDM springs were designed on 2.0 liter models which weighed differently in the front than our USDM cars, so the front springs might be softer in relation to the rear. I noticed this with my Tein's but the front white line sways do a good job at negating this

I find Suspention tuning difficult on these cars.
    2001 Subaru Legacy Limited Sedan 5spd
    Delta 1500 Cams/ DNA Motoring UEL Headers/ Magnaflow 14829 Catback/ Ganzflow and K&N Drop-in/ Perrin Crank Pulley/ Tein S-Tech Springs/ KYB Struts/ Paranoid Fabrications Rear Tophat Spacers/ Whiteline Front & Rear Sway Bars/ eBay Front Strut Bar/ Drag DR-31 Wheels/ Outback LL Bean Steering Wheel/ Yakima Roof Rack/ Putco Yellow Fog Bulbs/ 170,000+ Miles

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobpockros View Post
    Nice brakes. H&R makes the best coil springs for the Legacy/Outback Wagon in terms of handling. The pink springs will make the car sit higher than H&R and will only provide a small amount of handling over the OEM's since they are not progressive rate coils. If that's the type of ride you're looking for then that's a good thing, just wanted to let you know since I've reasearched/test nearly every lowering spring for a 00'-04'. I personally thought the H&R's were TOO stiff for daily driving and my car sat very uneven on them since they are made for a wagon. Also keep in mind that many JDM springs were designed on 2.0 liter models which weighed differently in the front than our USDM cars, so the front springs might be softer in relation to the rear. I noticed this with my Tein's but the front white line sways do a good job at negating this

I find Suspention tuning difficult on these cars.
    I was considering the H&Rs originally (and grayed out on my list now) but being that this is still supposed to resemble a daily, I'm trying to keep some ride comfort. That's the only reason I haven't gone full idiot and Whiteline'd everything out. The STi pinks are stiff enough for a little better handling for the 1% of time I'm at a track while not being unreasonable for the other 99% of time I'm daily driving it.

Level
    Achievements:
    I was considering the H&Rs originally (and grayed out on my list now) but being that this is still supposed to resemble a daily, I'm trying to keep some ride comfort. That's the only reason I haven't gone full idiot and Whiteline'd everything out. The STi pinks are stiff enough for a little better handling for the 1% of time I'm at a track while not being unreasonable for the other 99% of time I'm daily driving it.
    That's good logic. The only other option really is to spend $1200 on BC coil overs with the custom spring-rate option. That's a lot of money to shell out on a BE/BH and then you'd still have to buy sway bars.
    Delta 1500 Cams/ DNA Motoring UEL Headers/ Magnaflow 14829 Catback/ Ganzflow and K&N Drop-in/ Perrin Crank Pulley/ Tein S-Tech Springs/ KYB Struts/ Paranoid Fabrications Rear Tophat Spacers/ Whiteline Front & Rear Sway Bars/ eBay Front Strut Bar/ Drag DR-31 Wheels/ Outback LL Bean Steering Wheel/ Yakima Roof Rack/ Putco Yellow Fog Bulbs/ 170,000+ Miles

Level
    Achievements:
    Finally got around to painting my calipers today. Super happy with how they turned out. Exact colors I was hoping for.

Just have to apply the decals and clear coat them, then they'll be all set to rebuild.

Also ordered WRX aluminum pedals and an STI titanium key finally. The pedals should accent the rest of the aluminum pieces nicely.

My STI oil pan got here as well as my STI shifter bezel. Gave the bezel to a buddy that has an 06-07 WRX center console because the 06-07 ring just doesn't fit our trim well. Going to try again with an 04-05 STI bezel like I wanted originally.
    Last edited by Somac; 05-18-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Well, I guess enough time has passed since I've done anything with this car.

Finally got the front end (mostly) on. Pretty happy with how it came out. Still needs some work and it'll all still have to be repainted, but I'm happy. Now I can focus on the suspension and brakes.

Level
    Achievements:
    The color-matched front end looks great. Makes me want to do mine in white.

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Love the progress of your build since mine is basically at a stand still.

Also I can fully recommend the ebay header + vibrant resonator and 2.25" piping. Loved how mine sounded, and there was no drone while cruising. (I did have the factory cats though)

Level
    Achievements:
    Thank you both!

That exhaust sounds pretty good. Sounds like it's on par with what I want from this. Right now it's hilariously loud with the midpipe broken and bypassing the muffler.

I'm torn right now between a 2.25" and 2.5" midpipe. The header outlet is 2.25" but the downpipe outlet is 2.5". I could do 2.5" all the way back for essentially no gains whatsoever and possibly some lost low end, but it'll be even size piping all the way through. Or end up stepping down from the downpipe outlet to 2.25" all the way back and be a bit mismatched. Either way, it'll be a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and maybe a Vibrant muffler or XForce Varex.

In other news, I installed the Bilsteins today with the Whiteline Com-C top hats.

Kind of disappointed with the drop. I thought going from Outback struts and springs to Legacy Bilsteins with STI springs would have given me a much more dramatic drop, but it only measured out to be about an inch and a half. I was hoping for at least a few inches.

Still have to install the Whiteline rear control arms and Megan camber arms. Kinda forgot about my Legacy aluminum front control arms, too. Those are stripped and just sitting and waiting for paint.
    Last edited by Somac; 05-30-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsOverdriveO.G.Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Did you change out the rear bump stops to Legacy ones?

Level
    Achievements:
    Not yet. I was planning to when I did the full Legacy conversion. I picked up a Legacy steering column and drop bolts and few other things but still have to finish pulling the rest of the stuff off of a junkyard car. I honestly couldn't figure out how to remove the bump stops from the car while I was at a junkyard.

I guess I was just expecting the struts themselves to be a big portion of the drop, even though there's still a bit to go once the spacers are removed. I'm kind of dreading doing the Legacy conversion. It definitely won't be done before the track day.

Also, don't know why, but decided to cancel going with the 2.5" and I'm just gonna do 2.25" all the way back. This car isn't getting swapped and won't see any engine-related mods so there's no point going with the 2.5". I'd rather this car be seen than heard. The midpipe will be done next Tuesday. Single Vibrant Ultra Quiet 2.25" resonator and that's it.

Level
    Achievements:
    My legacy was never offered with rear bump stops. Might just be a Jdm/European thing

Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobpockros View Post
    My legacy was never offered with rear bump stops. Might just be a Jdm/European thing
    All BE/BH/BTs have rear bump stops regardless of region. They are next to the rear shock, the rubber cone to the right in this picture. Your car does (did?) have them.

As for removal.. they are tricky. They have a very large hex around their base for a special socket, but I personally used a giant set of slipjoint pliers to take them off. It is easier if the rear shock assembly is not in the way.

As for the drop.. it should have dropped far more than 1.5" from full outback height. At least 2" if not 2.5".. perhaps it has not settled down yet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast