Thread: Somac's Outback Wagon - Jack of All Trades, Master of None

Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered

Somac's Outback Wagon - Jack of All Trades, Master of None

Figured I've lurked here and creeped through other people's build threads enough before even making an account that it's time for me to start a "build" thread so I can keep track of all the money I'm about to blow through. I've been after a clean BH5 Outback for years at this point and it was only recently that I was actually able to make that happen.

Just picked up a 2004 Subaru Outback wagon this week. It's a Limited trim, EJ251, 5MT, Granite Black Pearl (54A) exterior, and black leather interior. 134,000 miles to start with and fairly clean rust-wise. Only thing aftermarket is an unknown short shifter with blown-out-as-can-be shifter bushings and some base model Legacy headlights. I'll be the first to admit I paid more than I should have, but it's hard to find anything close to a clean car in the Rust Belt.

This is my first Subaru and I picked it mainly because it's slow and NA and makes for a good road trip car - perfect for DD duty... except I can't leave anything alone so I'm probably going to ruin that by modifying it beyond what I planned. I like cars that can handle so most of what I'll be doing to the car are suspension, chassis, and braking mods, with some minor aesthetic stuff.

My realistic current plans:

Exterior:
    JDM tail lights - Done
    JDM Type-D headlights/hood
    JDM GT-B spoiler

Interior:
    JDM Type-D black face meter - Ordered
    JDM STI/Blitzen door sills
    JDM Momo shift knob
    JDM Momo steering wheel
    Black/silver trim replacing wood trim (possibly)

Suspension/chassis:
    JDM Bilstein struts
    H&R Sport springs
    Cusco/Whiteline sway bars - Done
    Cusco strut bars
    JDM LGT aluminum control arms

Brakes/wheels:
    JDM IHI 4 pot/2 pot brakes
    SS brake lines
    OEM RS/GT/STI wheels

Engine/drivetrain:
    eBay header - Done
    eBay catback/muffler - Done
    KartBoy/TiC shifter fix kit - Ordered

Before I even bought the car, I already bought the header, JDM tail lights, and Type-D black face meter. Drove the car home, immediately ordered the full Turn-in Concepts shifter kit because the shifter bushings were so blown out. Just bought some regular maintenance stuff for it, too. Waiting to hear back from my friendly neighborhood importer to buy JDM Bilsteins, a GT-B spoiler, Type-D headlights, 4pot/2pot bundle, Cusco strut bars, and a couple other things, but they should all be coming soon.

As the Jack of All Trades name implies, this thing will hopefully be capable of everything I throw at it. The summer setup will be everything listed above. I'll be going to several different race tracks and probably throwing it around a few times in the summer. During the winter, I'll be going back to lifted mode and probably running stock struts, Baja springs, Anderson Fabrication spacers, and some meatier tires.

I'll be around as much as I can trying to dig through every thread I can. Feel free to drop me some advice or correct me if anything I say is idiotic as I'm sure it's bound to happen.
    Last edited by Somac; 03-19-2017 at 02:41 AM.
    2004 Subaru Outback Wagon | EJ251 | 5MT | Limited

Tsudo Header | Tsudo Downpipe | Bosal Brospeed Muffler | Whiteline Sway Bars | Whiteline End Links | Short Shifter | JDM Tail Lights

Level
    Achievements:
    So, first order of business while it was a nice day today is to do basic maintenance (oil change, wipers, other fluids) and get these clear tails and header on.

Unfortunately, Michigan had other plans and as I was getting ready to go outside, it started snowing. So for now, I just get to see the black two-tone cars in my driveway.

Seeing this really makes me hate these headlights and try to get these Type-D headlights already.

Tsudo Header | Tsudo Downpipe | Bosal Brospeed Muffler | Whiteline Sway Bars | Whiteline End Links | Short Shifter | JDM Tail Lights

Level
    Achievements:
    Decided to work through the St. Paddy's day aftermath by working on the wagon today. Ended up making some good progress.

Now installed:
    Tsudo header
    Tsudo downpipe
    Whiteline adjustable sway bars
    Whiteline end links
    JDM outer tail lights

Only did the outer tail lights because I didn't have a deepwell 8mm socket to do the center garnish. Also saw that my JDM center garnish has a couple pieces of the red broken off of it at the top, so I'm debating buying a new one or trying to find a way to fix this one.

Also found out the muffler on there is a Bosal Brospeed muffler. Doesn't sound bad but it's definitely still too quiet even with the header and downpipe. Probably just going to make a custom catback in 2.25" with some Vibrant resonators and a more aggressive muffler.

Type-D black face meter should be here soon, as should the shifter bushing kit. Debating on whether I should do a re-pin of my harness or make an adapter harness to make the BFM work.

Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive
    Those one-bowl headlights look really strange on an Outback, but otherwise.. the car is looking really good!

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsOverdriveO.G.Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrenicki View Post
    Those one-bowl headlights look really strange on an Outback
    That they do. But I like it.
    My cars:
    2009 Legacy 3.0R Limited
    1998 Legacy L wagon
    2000 Outback- Sold

Level
    Achievements:
    I hate chrome and they really bug me, along with the grille. The black bezel split headlights look 10x better to me.

The previous-to-the-previous owner did some hack work on the headlights regardless. To make the single bulb headlights work, he had to cut the stock headlight connectors and wired in a single bulb connector, but now the lights are messed up and the driver side high beam is on all the time, meaning I can't use the fog lights and I'm blinding people. So it's a bit of a priority to get these Type-D lights and rewire the headlights.

Ended up buying a Dakota SGI-5E to get the ball rolling on the BFM conversion. I'm planning on switching back and forth between shorter STI-sized tires and Outback tires, so it'll be nice to be able to do the kilometer-to-mile conversion and tire size conversion at the same time any time I want.
    Last edited by Somac; 03-19-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Always a good day when parts arrive! Albeit I'm a bit late on posting this.

Gonna be throwing the shifter bushings in this weekend and play with the Dakota piece in the meantime. Excited as can be to get this BFM in! Out of all of the mods I'm planning on doing, it's probably the one that has me most excited for some reason.

Also finished installing the JDM center garnish. The damage isn't as noticeable as I was expecting, which is nice. Still gonna see if I can get it repaired. Probably just going to end up polishing all the lights and calling it a day.