Figured I've lurked here and creeped through other people's build threads enough before even making an account that it's time for me to start a "build" thread so I can keep track of all the money I'm about to blow through. I've been after a clean BH5 Outback for years at this point and it was only recently that I was actually able to make that happen.
Just picked up a 2004 Subaru Outback wagon this week. It's a Limited trim, EJ251, 5MT, Granite Black Pearl (54A) exterior, and black leather interior. 134,000 miles to start with and fairly clean rust-wise. Only thing aftermarket is an unknown short shifter with blown-out-as-can-be shifter bushings and some base model Legacy headlights. I'll be the first to admit I paid more than I should have, but it's hard to find anything close to a clean car in the Rust Belt.
This is my first Subaru and I picked it mainly because it's slow and NA and makes for a good road trip car - perfect for DD duty... except I can't leave anything alone so I'm probably going to ruin that by modifying it beyond what I planned. I like cars that can handle so most of what I'll be doing to the car are suspension, chassis, and braking mods, with some minor aesthetic stuff.
My realistic current plans:
- JDM tail lights - Done
- JDM Type-D headlights - Waiting on install
- JDM Type-D hood - Waiting on install
- JDM Type-D front bumper - Waiting on install
- JDM Type-D front lip - Waiting on install
- JDM Type-D fenders - Waiting on install
- JDM GT-B spoiler - Waiting on install
- JDM Type-D black face meter - Done
- JDM STI/Blitzen door sills - Ordered
- JDM Momo shift knob - Done
- JDM Momo steering wheel - Done
- JDM Type-D headlight leveling switch - Ordered
- Black/silver trim replacing wood trim - Done
- JDM Bilstein struts - Waiting on install
- STI pink springs - Waiting on install
- H&R Sport springs
- Front Cusco strut bar - Ordered
- Rear Cusco strut bar
- JDM LGT aluminum control arms - Waiting on install
- Whiteline BSF15 22mm fixed position front sway bar - Done
- Whiteline BSR12XZ 20mm adjustable rear sway bar - Done
- Whiteline KLC32 heavy duty sway bar links - Done
- Whiteline KTA124 rear control arms - Waiting on install
- Whiteline KCA335 Com-C top hats - Waiting on install
- Whiteline KCA313 roll center/bump steer correction kit - Waiting on install
- JDM front 4 pot brakes - Waiting on install
- JDM rear 2 pot brakes - Waiting on install
- SS brake lines
- Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 17x8 +40 - Done
- Dunlop Sport Maxx 235/45R17 tires - Done
- eBay header - Done
- Tsudo midpipe - Done
- Bosal Brospeed muffler - Done
- Custom 2.25" catback
- Kartboy short throw shifter and bushings - Done
- Turn In Concepts updated shifter linkage - Done
Before I even bought the car, I already bought the header, JDM tail lights, and Type-D black face meter. Drove the car home, immediately ordered the full Turn-in Concepts shifter kit because the shifter bushings were so blown out. Just bought some regular maintenance stuff for it, too. Waiting to hear back from my friendly neighborhood importer to buy JDM Bilsteins, a GT-B spoiler, Type-D headlights, 4pot/2pot bundle, Cusco strut bars, and a couple other things, but they should all be coming soon.
As the Jack of All Trades name implies, this thing will hopefully be capable of everything I throw at it. The summer setup will be everything listed above. I'll be going to several different race tracks and probably throwing it around a few times in the summer. During the winter, I'll be going back to lifted mode and probably running stock struts, Baja springs, Anderson Fabrication spacers, and some meatier tires.
I'll be around as much as I can trying to dig through every thread I can. Feel free to drop me some advice or correct me if anything I say is idiotic as I'm sure it's bound to happen.