Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My supercharger build: Update 7/5/2010 Emanage!

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

My supercharger build: Update 7/5/2010 Emanage!

-----

Start of the project, back in June '09.

I have been researching forced induction for a long time, and now that I have time, I have decided to install an Eaton M62 supercharger into my 97' Legacy Outback. I will be running 5psi of intercooled boost.

Videos:

Start-up and rev:

Drive-by

Parts list:

-Eaton M62 roots type supercharger (positive displacement)
    -2006 WRX TMIC
    -Turbo XS RBV-H34 Bypass valve
    -2006 STi fuel pump
    -RalliTEK Perfect Power 6 piggyback EM
    -NGK BKR7E-11 plugs (one step colder)
    -Custom double power steering pulley
    -Innovative LC-1 Wideband O2 setup

RS25.com member Skidd inspired me to take on this build with his own SC project on a 2000 RS. Our engines aren't too dissimilar, and the basic concept is the same.

Skidd's SC build:
    http://www.ludicrous-speed.com/wiki/ind ... ild_Part_1

So I have been gathering parts and knowledge over the last few months, and today I got a little present in the mail thanks to ebay: an Eaton M62 supercharger from a 2001 Mercedes Kompressor.

I will not just be slapping this on my car, I intend to do it correctly. Although I want to keep cost down as much as possible, there is one thing I did splurge on; EM. I bought a used RalliTEK Perfect Power 6 piggyback ECU complete with all the accessories needed. I also snagged a set of one step colder spark plugs to help avoid detonation, as well as an STi fuel pump.

So today I started the build, first by bending the power steering lines toward the IM for more clearance, as well as making a few cardboard mockups of the mounting brackets.

I have determined that the ABS pump will have to be moved. There just isn't enough width to seat the SC in and still have it clear the hood. My plan is to cut the lines, flare the ends, install new fittings, and use flexible steel lines to allow the pump to be mounted in the fender well where the snorkus used to be. I will be taking steps to protect the pump from the elements.

Also, I moved the alarm speaker, and the charcoal canister to the back of the engine bay.

If you see some glaring error in my plans please tell me. I like to take advice, suggestions, and questions. I'll be updating this thread from time to time.

Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: My supercharger build *actually happening*

awesome, keep us posted
    Tell me how I'm doing on my 1997 Outback Legacy Limited

My trucks lugnuts take more torque than my subaru produces.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    O.G.SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Cool, it's about time to see someone take some initiative. If you don't mind me asking where did you score the PP6 and how much?
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1998 BD L EJ25/EJ22 High Compression
    1993 GSX-R 750 (version 2.0)
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD
    1997 BD GT R.I.P. 12/24/06 Running Mean with 117 whp!
    1989 Honda CR-X A.K.A. "The Beast"
    1991 Suzuki GSX-R 750 R.I.P. 11/10/06

SLi Facebook
    4Zero1Motorsports Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

Level
    Achievements:

I got the PP6 from a guy on the nasioc classifieds for $250 shipped. That seems to be the going price for a used one.

I'll do a full writeup/ diy for the PP6 once it comes in the mail ad I figure out everything myself. Lol.

im glad you write in *actually happening*... otherwise i may have skipped over it because i thought it'd be another post from xXGTBspecXx

SLi O.G.
    Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Achievements:

+1 for self motivation

What did you mean by "flexible lines" when relocating the ABS? I ask 'cause the lines build up so much pressure, that when applied, flex can be a downside. Have you thought about maybe bolting it onto the inside (of the engine compartment) of the rail? or maybe just getting some universal brake line (same size tubing tho) have it bent (or do it yourself) and work from the proportioner (sp) out to the unit? Just a thought
    BD GT

Level
    Achievements:

Well, my idea with the flexible lines was to allow me to easily move the pump around. And get it situated in the fender area, but I guess I wouldn't be worth losing braking ability. I could just hack open the fender with a saw and force the pumpin there, but that wouldn't be very clean.

I'm no expert with dealing with brake lines. Lol. I am pretty much learning as I go.

Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:

I'll be keeping an eye on this. Good luck with the build and keep us updated

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by anothernord
    Well, my idea with the flexible lines was to allow me to easily move the pump around. And get it situated in the fender area, but I guess I wouldn't be worth losing braking ability. I could just hack open the fender with a saw and force the pumpin there, but that wouldn't be very clean.

I'm no expert with dealing with brake lines. Lol. I am pretty much learning as I go.
    I responded to your thread on NASIOC about this... I'll add to it here since you touched on something I didn't cover there.

Brake lines are made to a standard. Example, the hard lines are all steel, and use the same style double flare for the connectors. You can't just cut out a section of hard line and put in flexible brake hose, especially on an ABS pump, because your ABS pump isn't designed for that flexible hose.

You also can't cut out sections of your hard line going to the pump, because as I mentioned on NASIOC, the ABS pump is calibrated for specific lengths of hard lines. Shorter line = Oops, it's not going to work quite right (in theory). What will happen is, if you do shorten, lengthen, or replace some of the hard line with flexible brake hose, during ABS operation, you will either have too high, or too low pressure during ABS operation. Instead of the ABS giving you a 20% lockup, you might end up with 2% lockup, or 40% lockup (20% lockup: The wheel is spinning 80% of the time, and locked up 20% of the time; the G meter in the unit will reduce this to 10% lockup, or even 5% lockup if you have ABS engage while cornering hard). This will reduce the effectiveness of your ABS, increase stopping distance, and possibly cause erratic handling on low traction surfaces... Imagine if one wheel gets more lockup than the other, it could send you into a spin on ice or snow.

In reality, shorter or longer hard line most probably won't cause a huge change, but if the ECU detects that the ABS isn't working properly when it is being activated, it may disable the system, in which case, you'll have to put brand new hard lines in, and start the project over again.

There have been a few M62 supercharger builds (Doug's, and I think Skidd's from the RS forums) where they just bent the hard lines where they come out the top of the pump over a little for more clearance, and that works fine. You can't make the hard lines shorter or longer, or put in a section of flexible hose, but you can bend them as much as you want (just don't break the line).
    2002 WRX Wagon, Silver
    Currently saving for a Legacy project car

Level
    Achievements:

Thanks for the great info Sarra, I didn't realize the length of the hose affected braking performance.

Although, Skidd doesn't have the giant DOHC timing belt cover to deal with, and Doug doesn't even have ABS! I suppose I could cut out the fender around the pump, and make a hold big enough to let it slide in, then bend the lines, make a new bracket, and put a cover over the part of the pump that's in the fender.

I need to move the ABS about 2.5 inches to allow the SC to fit between the timing belt cover and the pump.

Anyway, can't work on it till this Friday. So I'll have time to think things over.

Edit: Do you mean RS25.com? I don't remember posting this on Nasioc.

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Zues Marine
    im glad you write in *actually happening*... otherwise i may have skipped over it because i thought it'd be another post from xXGTBspecXx
    Oh yeah, haha, people always talk about their big plans *cough*jg09 sti swap*cough* then don't follow through. I am not like that. I will have forced induction on this car!

Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Achievements:

subscribed
    + requesting a ride when it's done
    1996 Legacy L wagon
    xbox gamer tag: Krautastic

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:

Question - Why the positive displacement type supercharger and not the centrifugal type?
    '00 Subaru Outback - EJ251 Motor - BH Chassis <Sold & Gone>
    '08 KTM 250XC

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey97D

Question - Why the positive displacement type supercharger and not the centrifugal type?
    Mainly cost and availability. All the centrifugal ones are like 700 bucks and impossible to find. Plus you get a more linear power curve with the positive displacement type.

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:

Thanks for the great info Sarra, I didn't realize the length of the hose affected braking performance.

Although, Skidd doesn't have the giant DOHC timing belt cover to deal with, and Doug doesn't even have ABS! I suppose I could cut out the fender around the pump, and make a hold big enough to let it slide in, then bend the lines, make a new bracket, and put a cover over the part of the pump that's in the fender.

I need to move the ABS about 2.5 inches to allow the SC to fit between the timing belt cover and the pump.

Anyway, can't work on it till this Friday. So I'll have time to think things over.

Edit: Do you mean RS25.com? I don't remember posting this on Nasioc.
    Haha, you're right, RS25.com not NASIOC.

I was thinking about this as well... You could probably just move the pump over a little and bend the lines slightly, drill and tap some new holes for the bolts to bolt the pump down, and not have to stick it in your fender well. Nowhere to put it in there, really, and if you bottomed out, or had some road debris go up through your splash guard, you could take your pump out completely, and have no brakes at all.
    2002 WRX Wagon, Silver
    Currently saving for a Legacy project car

SLi Resident
    Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:

Oh yeah, haha, people always talk about their big plans *cough*jg09 sti swap*cough*
    :naka: I'm indecisive! The on-road vs. off-road decision is tough to make!

But nice project, I remember people talking about how cool it would be for someone to supercharge on this site not too long ago like it was a new, novel idea.
    2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Level
    Achievements:

Yeah, I understand those kind of decisions. I went back and forth about turbo vs. supercharger for about 6 months. Finally I realized that I could do a SC without taking my car offline like I would with a turbo; I have be able put it back on the road in case of an emergency Slurpee run.

As for the ABS pump; another though occurred to me. Why not turn the pump 90 degrees so it sits flat against the fender wall? The main lines could be rotated at their threads on the pump, and the only ones I'd have to bend would be the input lines. Or I could just cut those two out and make new ones of the same length tubing, using flare fittings where the connect with the old lines. Hmm...these decisions are best made slowly.

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

dam nice research!!! thanks for posting this. i recently bought a Rimmer Supercharger and plan to have installed in a few weeks. ill keep you posted.

2001 Legacy BH...

Level
    Achievements:

This would look so awesome with the tmic

Level
    Achievements:

Did someone say intercooler?

The clutch fluid reservoir gets in the way of the intake side of the intercooler, so it can't fit flat in the engine bay. It still clears the hood, and lines up with the throttle body good enough. Only issue will be the BPV. There is only about an inch between the throttle cables and the front of the intercooler where the BPV sits. I will be fabricating a plate and a 90 degree coupling to attach to the BPV.

So I am pretty sure I will go ahead and hack open my fender and push the pump into the fender well about 3 inches. Then bend the lines to fit. This way I won't have to mess with cutting the hard lines. I will put some sort of protective box around the part of the pump that fits in the fender.

Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:

nice! can't wait to see this all come together!!
    definitely be careful bending the lines, great idea tho
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd. Brilliant Silver - 148k
    1995 Subaru Legacy L Green Winter Metallic - Plastidipped Camo Green - 189k - SOLD

its like a
    "how much shit can you stuff into the engine bay" contest...

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    O.G.SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zues Marine
    its like a
    "how much shit can you stuff into the engine bay" contest...

lol
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1998 BD L EJ25/EJ22 High Compression
    1993 GSX-R 750 (version 2.0)
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD
    1997 BD GT R.I.P. 12/24/06 Running Mean with 117 whp!
    1989 Honda CR-X A.K.A. "The Beast"
    1991 Suzuki GSX-R 750 R.I.P. 11/10/06

SLi Facebook
    4Zero1Motorsports Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

Level
    Achievements:

Re: My supercharger build: Update 6/13/09

How about we clear some space then?

So I the ABS pump moved today. It opened up even more space than I expected. I just used the trusty sawzall and cut open the fender, then bent the lines by hand as I slid the pump in. I drilled new holes, and secured the pump with the old bolts plus nuts and lock washers.

Level
    Achievements:

Good progress.

And how hard is it to "bend" the lines? or just rotate the whole assembly?

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5GT
    Good progress.

And how hard is it to "bend" the lines? or just rotate the whole assembly?
    Bending can be done by hand if you separate one line from the rest to get a decent grip on it. Its easier to stick a screwdriver or something at the point you want to bend, then pull the line back further down.

Rotating the assembly is something I considered, but I didn't want to mess with loosening the bolts on the pump and tangling with the lines. This way, all you have to do is bend all the lines in the same spot.

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Achievements:

i hope this goes well for you, I think i might consider something like this for the eg33 after i get that swap done.. i got no abs so i got nothing but room over there. keep it goin dude!
    97 Legacy Brighton w/ EG33 swap.... still a work in progress
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Quote Originally Posted by Reason
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkitan
    Quote Originally Posted by Svenerachi
    why was ^ statgsr banned? or is that just his unique status thing?
    he was a naughty monkey
    naughty monkeys are not tolerated here

Level
    Achievements:

Yeah, I will take lots of pictures so other people can duplicate the work.

Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:

WOW! that's freakin awesome! looks stock, like it never moved
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd. Brilliant Silver - 148k
    1995 Subaru Legacy L Green Winter Metallic - Plastidipped Camo Green - 189k - SOLD

Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

Yeah, I love how the it looks so natural. I mean, I know there is a supercharger stuck in the corner but, it does lock stockish, like it's supposed to be there. Awesome build!
    1997 Legacy 2.5GT 5 speed Green

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast