PDA

View Full Version : DIY: 95-99 Outback rear swaybar

shazapple
04-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Heres my writeup on putting an Outback rear swaybar onto your 95-99 Legacy! The install instructions will work for pretty much any swaybar.

Swaybar Basics
Alright, so a rear swaybar help decrease bodyroll while turning, and increase oversteer. If the car is turning right, then the springs on the left of the car will be compressed.
It eliminiates bodyroll by helping to transfer the weight from the compressed springs to the uncompressed springs.
Also, a bigger rear swaybar will give your car more oversteer, meaning the car will turn more than youre telling it to. This sounds bad, but really isnt, since the car has a natural tendancy to understeer. (keep in mond, you dont want TOO much oversteer!)

Swaybar specs
I got a rear swaybar off of an Outback (or an SUS). Mine was off of a 96 SUS, and was 18mm. Any swaybar off of any 95-99 Legacy/Outback/SUS will be interchangeable, but you want a 18mm swaybar (which is only on the Outback and SUS).
All you need is the swaybar, and the rubber bushings (unless you break a bolt or something). BTW, my stock 98 Legacy L swaybar was 14mm.

Installation
I backed the car onto ramps so there wasnt any force on the swaybar. Theres 4 bolts you need to take off. Theres one on each endlink (the black C shaped object) and two to hold the swaybar to the frame of the car.

In the middle of the picture is the endlink, remove only the top bolt for both sides. In the top left corner is the bushing. Remove these on both sides.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/486000-486999/486027_22_full.jpg

I had shot the 4 nuts and bolts with penetrating oil a day before, and then again right before I started work. I think it helped loosen stuff up.
Make sure you take off the endlink bolts on both sides first! Then take the bushing bolts off. Trust me, its easier this way ;) I hope your good at tetris, cause youll need it to spin and twist the old and new swaybar into place! The swaybar goes overtop of the exaust, so thats why it takes a bit of manuvering. Repeat this in reverse to get the new swaybar in.

Impressions
This 18mm makes a huge difference! The first thing I noticed was the LACK of body roll! Also, it was much much easier to squeal the tires :devil: (of course, I have RE-92's, which everyone knows sux0rz!) Turning is much better, and the car also feels tighter. Endlinks will definitly be the next thing to upgrade, since the stock ones are plastic and are designed to flex.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/486000-486999/486027_23_full.jpg
And yes, I know my car is dirty. These pics were taken in the middle of a eastern canadian winter (hellooooo salt!)

SlowLeg
04-14-2005, 05:59 PM
That was a great write up, thank you for the information. I can't wait to do it myself.

sixiron
04-14-2005, 09:22 PM
I am looking at the IPD swaybar for my 03 legacy...I talked with subiegal the other day and she says its a honker of a deal...130.00 bucks for the sway bar, end links , & bushings...bar is 7/8" so you math majors can convert that to mm...www.ipd.com...and I think it's on sale now too...fwiw

pdawg
04-14-2005, 11:28 PM
I have an IPD on my 2000 GT. It is 22mm. It is huge next to the OEM bar. I could not find rear end links to fit. Let know what you find Sixiron.

The bar really makes the car fun to drive. I highly recommend it.

masube81
04-15-2005, 01:13 AM
yessss..... iPDusa.com have a sale for all subarus sway bars. I might get one for myself now. :smt038

Reason
04-15-2005, 03:07 AM
Will the iDP sway fit the GT (BD)? Me asking that meaning the endlinks too. I remember someone had a problem with the endlinks.

pdawg
04-15-2005, 08:32 AM
Its the BE that has the endlink problems. The Endlinks on the BE are pretty good to begin with(metal not plastic). You should be ok with the endlinks for the BD

Strakes
04-17-2005, 01:54 PM
I've got an ipd rear sway bar for my '02 Legacy GT Wagon. Love it!

masube81
05-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Here my fhi 21mm sway bar and solid rear end links from 01 impreza. Now my turning feel so much better than ever and I love it. :smt038

http://www.mnsubaru.com/images/memberimages/143/IM004316.jpg
http://www.mnsubaru.com/images/memberimages/143/IM004319.jpg
http://www.mnsubaru.com/images/memberimages/143/IM004318.jpg

Huffer
09-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Another quick cross-model note:

I swapped (with help, cos I'm a noob) a Cusco 18-22mm adjustable rear swaybar from a BE to a BD. The BE was an Outback wagon, the BD was a GT. That means GT sways will fit BE's too.

scottzg
09-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Excellent writeup!

The oversteerishness is especially increased when lifting off the gas.

Air suspension legacies and turbo legacies have the 18mm bar too, it will bolt up to a BD.

The plastic endlinks effectively make the swaybar thinner. They also bend if you have snap steer(like a fishtail) where all the weight suddenly transfers from one side to the other. That's probably a good thing. Not to say solid endlinks are bad, of course. FWIW, the earliest ej cars (like mine) came from the factory with solid endlinks, and subaru switched to the plastic ones. Can't swap to the solid ones without changing your LCA's though.

Adding 3psi to the rear tires and -.5 degrees of camber to the front will simulate the 18mm bar pretty well, granted it does nothing to curb the roll.

Plays_with_Toys
12-02-2006, 01:22 AM
I finally got the correct rear sway bar in the mail this week (he sent me the front sway bar). The thing is, mine is off a 94 legacy SS, and instead of having that very gradual swooping turn under the spare tire well, this one has very distinct bends to avoid the hump and then that metal crossmember thing in the middle. I'm sort of afraid it won't fit because it does not have the same shape as my current one, but it seemed to line up when I had it under the car.

I hope to install it tomorrow evening, then test it out on the slalom course at work on sunday :twisted: Then when christmas break comes I'll pull it off, sand it down and give it a fresh coat of silver paint to make it look purty.

....supposing it fits... :lol:

Plays_with_Toys
12-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I installed mine but ran into quite a few problems. First of all this bar, off the legacy turbo, had thicker mounting points at the end links. This meant that the stock bolts weren't long enough. I bought some 3/8-16 grade 8 bolts and some washers and nuts that were another .5" longer though. But, when it came time to remove one of the bolts from the endlinks it was completely seized. Sledging it out solved that issue.

The next issue, which is still unresolved, is the fact that the rubber bushing holder things aren't on all the way. There is a little metal clip and a bolt hole. I can't clip it in and bolt it on. I'm going to take off all the bolts and try it again as soon as it warms up. It feels really solid with just the bolts holding it on, but I'd like more assurance.

As for driving impressions? HOLY COW! I took it through a few courses at work, and the back end definately has bigger tendency to want to meet the front. Body roll is drastically reduced and turn in feels super crisp and more instantaneous. It's definately a must do mod. I'll get pics of my bar later this week since it looks different (but IMO better) than an outback bar.

Plays_with_Toys
12-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Here you go, pics of my bar. Like I said it looks different but I like that it follows the contours so nicely:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2006/12/img2837hl8th-1.jpg (http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img2837hl8.jpg)

And the new hardware:
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3245/img2838rn3.th.jpg (http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img2838rn3.jpg)

shazapple
12-05-2006, 12:21 PM
looks good!

Did you bolt up the bushing mounts first and then attach the endlinks? I cant remember if that was easier or not.
Also, did you get bushings with the bigger swaybar, cause the stock ones have too much rubber in the middle to fit properly.

Huffer
12-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Just drill out the rubber, make it bigger that way. ;)

Plays_with_Toys
12-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah I bolted up the bushings first, I simply had the bolts through the ends of the bar so it wasn't flopping around during the install. Like I said it was 20* outside at best, now its warming up and I might go under there to figure it out.

I did get new bushings with the bar, but they still seemed to fit very snug inside the brackets. Like huffer said, I'll drill/carve out the material if I need to.

Wiscon_Mark
01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Bump, because it's an awesome writeup that deserves more attention, and I'm getting an IPD adjustable rear sway bar! :grin:

warrior
01-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Thank you Mr. Canadian Rep.. after reading this wonderful write-up, I confidently tackled the Rear Sway Bar mod with much success! I actually had no problems what so ever, everything fit into place!

My bar was the BSR19XXZ - Whitelines 22mm race bar and even getting it over and around the muffler was pie.

:lol:

Wiscon_Mark
02-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Just got my swaybar - This writeup is awesome :grin:

Wiscon_Mark
02-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Got a question for people who have installed a swaybar:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/02/swaybarrubbing-1.jpg

That little bump in the spare tire well is screwing it all up. I can't angle the swaybar down any farther to the endlinks with that in the way. It looks like it's useless, but I don't know if I should just sawzall it off or what...

BTW- my IPD endlinks are the same length as the stockers, so I've run out of options here.

StatGSR
02-21-2007, 06:02 PM
^ what u dont own a hammer? like a BFH?

shazapple
02-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Block of wood + hammer = fixed

Wiscon_Mark
02-21-2007, 11:06 PM
^ what u dont own a hammer? like a BFH?

I was just curious if it would be okay to bust off...I planned on destroying it, was just looking for input ;)

Plays_with_Toys
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I would hammer it or atleast cut only a section of it out. Ribs provide for rigidity. Also if you hammer it's alot less bare metal to get rusty.

Wiscon_Mark
02-22-2007, 01:23 PM
It's just plastic, not metal.

shazapple
02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Thats why I said to use a block of wood, so it all bends at the same time. No hammer dents

Huffer
02-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Heatgun and just remold it flat.

cyberbackpacker
04-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Some help... searched around but found nothing too clear... will an 02 WRX rear swaybar work on my 95 BD? It seems like it should, but want to verify before I install. I know the endlinks will, based upon the "thread of note" but not sure about the bar itself. Also, is the WRX rear bar bigger? Thanks.

Plays_with_Toys
04-02-2007, 10:13 PM
WRX bar will hit the spare tire well.

RadeOn
04-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Finally put outback swaybar on, while swapping my tires for summer ones. Very easy with rear wheels off and on jackstands.

Probably due to struts being stiff enough already, this mod did not produce easily noticable changes in handling except for nice increase in lift-off oversteer. It will definitely come in handy...

Huffer
05-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Quick question - anyone know if the BG GT swaybar = BG/BK Outback swaybar?

Wiscon_Mark
05-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I'd assume you're talking JDM (not mistaking BG for BK)?

the BK GT is not the same as the Outback, no.

Plays_with_Toys
05-24-2007, 11:23 PM
GT is 16mm, outback is 18mm

Huffer
05-25-2007, 09:45 AM
GT is 16mm, outback is 18mm

Cheers!

Ural
12-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Got a question for people who have installed a swaybar:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/02/swaybarrubbing-1.jpg

That little bump in the spare tire well is screwing it all up. I can't angle the swaybar down any farther to the endlinks with that in the way. It looks like it's useless, but I don't know if I should just sawzall it off or what...

BTW- my IPD endlinks are the same length as the stockers, so I've run out of options here.

Isn't it like a WRX sway..? i tried to fit wrx sway bar on my BD and even with the spare tire well cut out, its just not enough... it still hits, which prevents it from connecting to the end-links.

99gtlimited
01-10-2008, 02:33 AM
Finally put outback swaybar on,

where did you get your sway bar??

Huffer
01-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Finally put outback swaybar on,

where did you get your sway bar??

Probably a used Outback. Junkyard I bet, or someone who has upgraded from the stock Outback bar.

As an aside, now that I have access to an impact wrench, the wagon will be snagging the Cusco 18-20-22mm bar back from it's BD cousin this spring.

I had it set at 20mm on the BD... I'm thinking of running 22mm on the BK. :twisted:

chipLRX-SLI
01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
i just found a gut with a 98 outback that he is parting out and im getting the works for $30 endlinks bushings and sway bar , gonna pick it up tommrrow
so how dose the oversteer help is it like when comming out of a corner it will straighten you back out or keep you going in the direction you turned ?

Huffer
01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
^^ oversteer only helps if you wanted oversteer. ;)

Oversteer is essentially pre-drift - as your front wheels maintain traction & control, the rear end breaks free.

Essentially a drift is a state of balance where the rear tires are spinning out of control, while the front tires maintain control and guide the car around the corner.

This kind of driving is usually referred to as “oversteer” as your car will be walking the fine line between a drift and a spin. Oversteer is necessary to maintain your cars angle, but it must be controlled by the driver's inputs if you are looking to successfully drift around a corner.

The end goal is that the car should feel as if it is PUSHING you around the corner, rather than PULLing, which is what understeer would have you do.

Neither will actually help you, unless you have specifically attempted to make the car move in that manner - which would be pointless if you have set the car up incorrectly.

chipLRX-SLI
01-21-2008, 03:38 PM
installed the 98' outback swaybar onto my 98 leg today. so far im happy . i can tell that there is a improvment in handling .
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2008/01/Picture563-1.jpg

mp3man85
05-27-2008, 08:33 AM
I just did this mod over the weekend and noticed a change in steering right away. Def worth doing...

merikgvr4
07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Good morning, found this site and this thread. I saw a few outbacks at the yards and wanted to confirm if my Legacy LSi has the smaller rear swaybar.
Thanks in advance for your time.

shazapple
07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm pretty sure it would be smaller than the outback. Easiest way is to get a caliper and measure the diameters

merikgvr4
07-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Thx Shaz. I think I have one from Harbor Freight.

mrpyb
09-06-2008, 03:08 AM
great write up!! stole my moms outback swaybar (finally!) and put it on my GT yesterday. outback's pretty tippy with the GT swaybar! :wink:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/mrpyb/IMG_2512.jpg

TheAngryPidgeon
04-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey,

Quick question: Does anyone know the stock sway bar sizes on a BD 2.5 GT? I know the L Rear is 14mm, but beyond that I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Phil

ccampbell2546
04-15-2009, 12:05 AM
I think it was stated earlier but, 19 or 20mm front and 16mm rear in the BD GT.

TheAngryPidgeon
04-15-2009, 12:10 AM
I think it was stated earlier but, 19 or 20mm front and 16mm rear in the BD GT.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's 20mm up front on the BD GT, and definitely 16mm in the rear.

ShadowGT
04-27-2009, 04:32 PM
OK, I'm sold.
But before I open my wallet..
I need to know.. what Subaru will be the donor car for a rear strut bar for my 98 Legacy GT Wagon.
Basically, what to search for like on e-Bay. I know: 18mm rear sway bar. But from what car(s), USDM or JDM will I need to look for?

BenO
05-11-2009, 06:36 PM
As far as the endlinks and bushings go, would the stock ones from an outback be an upgrade from my GT's and would they fit?

Drakien
07-31-2009, 01:03 AM
Another question, Is it only the Outback's that have the bigger rear sway or do the wagons in general have them?

Huffer
07-31-2009, 10:17 AM
As far as the endlinks and bushings go, would the stock ones from an outback be an upgrade from my GT's and would they fit?

They're the same. So they'll fit, but they won't be an upgrade.

4WDFun
09-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Just did my swap yesterday. Difference is immediately noticeable(with stock suspension otherwise).
Some comparo pics.
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/09/DSC03480-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/09/DSC03479-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/09/DSC03478-1.jpg

captain_kirk
09-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Man, am I kicking myself after reading this mod.
Had my dads 99 Outback in my garage for a couple months while he drove his new 09 Outback down from Alaska. I could of swapped his sway bar out for my little Brighton one. Now he came and switched cars to drive the 99 back to Alaska. Dang, Dang, Dang.
I wonder if I could rob anything off the 09? :wink:

PJ2277
10-14-2009, 11:55 AM
I thought WRX rear Sway bars worked on BG/BD legacies? I installed a Syms WRX rear sway on my BK wagon.. without any spare tire issues...

PJ2277
10-27-2009, 12:41 AM
There are 3 Outbacks at one of the junkyards out here.. Anybody need a Rear Sway bar?

BKiller
10-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Are all the Subaru endlinks the same? Since I already have an Outback with 18mm bar, I would like to replace the plastic endlinks with something stout. Do basic WRX endlinks work?

BenO
01-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I have had an outback rear sway sitting in my garage since the summer and have not installed it yet due to one main reason.
The bolts that have to come off don't want to come off easily. I have blasted them with PB blaster and no avail. Using a ratchet set to get them off I am afraid of shearing the bolts off. Although I do not have one would it be easier to use an impact wrench? If there is a way to do it safer without an impact wrench that would be better.

or are the bolts on there easily found at a hardware store and replaceable?

jey
01-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Poor man's impact wrench: Use a 6-point socket/wrench. Use a hammer and bang on the wrench/rachet.

jdmg3
04-28-2010, 01:32 PM
I am curently installing a 20mm rear STI sway bar on my 97 BG.Got it for free. I also have STI rear subframe, lateral links and endlinks on the car. It helps alot since the lateral link location are higher on the subframe it keeps a better suspension geometry when lowered. Also it has rigid mounting instead of softer bushing.
I beeffed up the SB mounts and and to mod the brakets to fit the STI bushings.
I cut the botton, of trunk support and then had to push in the bottom of the trunk a bit.
Also I changed the mounting location on the frame because since I am lowered that bar was too toward the front of the car.
I will post pictures later along with my 4pot-2pot nissan caliper and 5x114.3 conversion!!!! :cool:

David E
09-14-2010, 08:07 AM
So what do folks recommend as an upgrade for a 99 Outback that already has an 18mm rear bar?
What about the front bar?
Any OEM Subaru bars that are larger and fit?

Wiscon_Mark
07-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Definitely the IPD bar mentioned on the first page. It can go up to a 22mm equivalent and it makes such a difference.

Baddog
07-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Definitely the IPD bar mentioned on the first page. It can go up to a 22mm equivalent and it makes such a difference.

You referring to the "rallitek/IPD" bar?

If so they stopped making them.

mycargoesvroom
07-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes unfortunately Rallitek has stopped manufacturing the rear sway bars for our cars... Looks like the only options now for something bigger is the (much bigger price tag) Whiteline bar.

Wiscon_Mark
07-18-2011, 07:40 AM
If so they stopped making them.

That stinks. It was pretty popular, I guess you'd have to go used if you don't want the whiteline bar.

Huffer
07-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I'd just get an Impreza bar and a big hammer.
Sometimes you just have to compromise on price, availability and application.

grayguy
07-18-2011, 02:21 PM
What do you have to hammer to get the GD bar on there?

Huffer
07-18-2011, 02:35 PM
The spare tire hump under the car. You can cut it off too, or just hammer it flat. Either way, make sure to spray it really well with some underbody rubber coating.

mycargoesvroom
07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Doesn't the GD bar have a wider track then the BD like the Tribeca front bar?

Huffer
07-18-2011, 04:15 PM
If it does, then you should be able to just bolt the bar to the outside of the endlinks instead of the inside.

mycargoesvroom
07-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Doesn't that mess with the effective size of the bar?

Like, I know on the Tribeca bar it's 27mm but only 23-24mm effective right? So if you put a 20mm WRX bar on, wouldn't it make it more like 16-18mm effective and be kind of pointless since the outback bar is 18mm and doesn't require any modification?

grayguy
07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Call me crazy, but couldn't one take a piece of steel and weld it along the length of the bar, or would that not effect it's torsional rigidity enough to bother.

Baddog
07-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Called them and they said they will have them again in August. Who knows

http://www.rallitek.com/RalliTEK-Rear-A ... 999/p-4370 (http://www.rallitek.com/RalliTEK-Rear-Anti-Sway-Bar-Kit-LegacyOutback-1996-1999/p-4370)

grayguy
07-28-2011, 01:17 AM
I just bought an outback bar today, but if they start making the rallitech again I'll grab one for sure!

98legwag
11-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Swapped my rear sway bar the other day. Its really easy. Took about 20 mins. I went with a GT RSB since it was what I could find for cheap. Car handles much better too. I think an Outback RSB would be incredible.

fullCircling
01-31-2012, 01:20 PM
anyone know what size the bolts are, so i can get them beforehand in case i snap anything?

98legwag
01-31-2012, 01:26 PM
I replied on NASIOC too. Follow this. I would get the bolts off the car you take the OB sway bar off. I grabbed extra bolts for the endlinks too.

fullCircling
01-31-2012, 02:45 PM
thanks man, i replied over there. u stalkin me bruh? lol