PDA

View Full Version : Insulating the Garage

Soul Shinobi
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I know this sounds like I'm pushing what's acceptable in The Tool Box subforum, but come on, it's where all the tools are kept, and where you use them. :grin:

My garage is 22' by 22', two car, single door, attached to the house on one side. I've been wanting to make it comfortable during New England winters for a while now and have sealed cracks around the windows and back door. The walls have wallboard up but aren't insulated.

I just finished the first stage of putting in some real insulation, laying down a layer of 6" deep R19 fiberglass in the attic above. I plan on putting a second perpendicular layer of R30 over that, but that's all I've got planned this winter. I'm hoping to get the walls insulated and the garage door replaced with an insulated one (with silent nylon rollers, oh yeah :smt004 ) within a couple years. All I have for heating is a 1500W electric unit. Don't know if there are better or more cost effective heating solutions, that's just what I've got laying around.

What have you guys done to your garages? How has it worked? Is there something better I could do?

Huffer
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
If you have any windows or doors, take the trim off and spray expandable foam in there then reinstall the trim.

On the walls you could install some foam with foil backing. On the ceiling do the same as it'll trap heat and keep sound down.

The floor is tough though because you can't put anything on it that will prevent liquid cleanup, but a cheap set of foam mats from harbor freight wil work well!

Soul Shinobi
11-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I was able to put expandable foam around the door, but the window frames are modern one-piece frames. At least they'll insulate well; double pane. I'll likely hire someone to do blow-in insulation in the walls from the outside.