View Full Version : Blitzen's 1998 Subaru STi WRX Impreza V5 Type R

Blitzen
11-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Hey.
This is my toy and daily driver.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/11/IMG_4192-1.jpg

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/11/IMG_4194-1.jpg

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/11/IMG_4198-1.jpg

Bought it a year ago from a gentleman nearing his 65th birthday who had bought it new when he was 55..it is completely original including it's special order light weight 3 piece race wheels he ordered it with. I have no plans to tamper with it in any way as it's near impossible to come across an original example.
This car has DCCD (variable diff control) and manual and auto intercooler water sprayers.
Actually I lie in one respect...I discovered at the local airstrip that this car has a 190 kph governer....i don't like knowing this car was made to reach speeds of 300 kph but some stupid computer chip tells it to stop at 190 :( that will be the only mod...turf the governer :)

Yamazaki
11-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Now that is a nice car. I would even argue that it's nicer (definitely more rare) than your other car.

I have no plans to tamper with it in any way as it's near impossible to come across an original example.
Actually I lie in one respect...I discovered at the local airstrip that this car has a 190 kph governer....i don't like knowing this car was made to reach speeds of 300 kph but some stupid computer chip tells it to stop at 190 :( that will be the only mod...turf the governer :)
Thank you for this. I was starting to think I'm the only person who thought that way. And I totally agree with you on the limiter also. HKS makes an "SLD" (Speed Limit Defenser) that you connect to your ECU and you're done with speed limits from then on.

Blitzen
11-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the compliment mate..i envy your collection of STi's..impressive.
Appreciate the heads up on the SLD by HKS...thats a must :)
Want to mail me your S401's intercooler and stuff?.............lol joking :)

httrdd
11-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Never seen one of these! Could you make a vid of the car? What kind of HP are you making on the turbo?

Blitzen
11-15-2009, 01:27 PM
WRX Type R STi.
The coupe was chosen by Prodrive for use in the WRC because it was smaller, lighter and stiffer than the 4-door version. It was essentially a 2-door version of the WRX Type RA STi meaning it had DCCD, minimal sound insulation, aluminium bonnet and front guards, thinner glass, close-gear ratios and hardened gearbox. This car also has a water-spray nozzle to dampen the top of the intercooler. The water will then evaporate, taking heat away from the intercooler and cooling the intake charge. This car was produced on an order-only basis. WRX Type R STi Version 5 cars had a 4 month waiting period for each order. 300ps, torque peaked at 4000 rpm with a value of 35.0 kgf·m (343 N·m). Gentlemans aggreement between Mitsubishi and Subaru limited horsepower to 280bhp on both EVO and STi :(

Huffer
11-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Woohoo! It's been about 7 years since I've seen one of these in unmolested condition.

A guy on REXNET a few years ago had one but it wasn't a Type R... it was the sedan STi.

These cars are balls out STis... no holds barred.

chaksq
11-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Your car is amazing and in incredible shape. I applaud you for keeping it stock. I'm a little jealous of it.

impreza_GC8
11-20-2009, 02:46 AM
I would murder a sleeping baby for that car.
EDIT: By the way, I am needing a 1998-2000 WRX or STI front grill (like what you have) if you can find one of those around and ship it to me in the US without costing an arm and a leg.

Blitzen
11-20-2009, 03:49 AM
I would murder a sleeping baby for that car.
EDIT: By the way, I am needing a 1998-2000 WRX or STI front grill (like what you have) if you can find one of those around and ship it to me in the US without costing an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the compliments guys...pretty sure theres a grill with pink star emblem at the local wreckers...i'll check it out for you :)

Blitzen
11-20-2009, 04:33 AM
Your car is amazing and in incredible shape. I applaud you for keeping it stock. I'm a little jealous of it.

There's a guy down the road from me that has a blue STi type R that he leaves parked out on the street overnight.....he really needs his mind read. These cars are on the A list for car thieves and very much a sought after item for joyriders....near impossible to insure...I had to jump through burning hoops.
Anyway I digress....his car is a real weapon, metallic blue, super low riding on 10 spoke Enkei 18's and rubber bands for tyres, 22B front spoiler and fog covers, front mount intercooler, V7 STi hood scoop, roof vent, and slightly different rear wing to mine. Every time I drive past I check it out......everytime he is in his front yard he stops what he's doing and stares at my car........it's a weird circle of car envy we all travel in.....I love my rexxy....but i'd love to thrash his on a track :smt029

impreza_GC8
11-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys...pretty sure theres a grill with pink star emblem at the local wreckers...i'll check it out for you :)
Thanks! Just let me know! Thats a part I've been wanting for a while.
By the way, here's my US-spec Impreza 2.5L
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/

Blitzen
11-20-2009, 04:37 PM
By the way, here's my US-spec Impreza 2.5L
http://photos-sf2p.fbcdn.net/v196/170/25/1299990492/n1299990492_30765881_646.jpg

nice ride mate...also a 2 door....being US spec what is called....is it also a V5 type R?

impreza_GC8
11-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Here it was called a 2.5RS. It came with the same front bumper as you but here we got the front grill and rear wing from an older WRX like a 1997 model year. We never got the big wings, rear bumper spats, front lips, front grills, etc from the newer cars. But we manage to acquire those items from overseas. I even have a set of the powerfolding heated mirrors installed on my car, those were never offered in the US either. Thats why I want a honeycomb front grill. It is subtly more aggressive than our older style US-spec ones and was never offered here.