PDA

View Full Version : Previous owner + Stereo Install = No dash lights

heli-mech
11-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I just picked up a new project "98 Gt wagon". The previous owner did an absolute hack job on the stereo install, and somehow lost the dash/ hvac/ shifter illumination lights in the process. I pulled out his work and now only have a bundle of wires to work from, and with all the stereo wiring open the dash illumination lights do not function. Now here's the problem if i ground out the yellow/blue wire the dash lights come on, but the dimmer does not function. Any ideas. All the fuse are good......possible fried relay?

Also according to the FSM the color of the main power wire from "fuse #25" is LR........what color is LR?

heli-mech
11-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Update: so i changed out the "illumi/tail" relay and nothing changed. So istarted pulling components and checking the bulbs and figured out that if i tap into the yellow/blue wire anywhere (stereo, ashtray light, Hvac) and touch it to ground i get the illumi lights to turn on. They are @ full bright and the dimmer switch has no effect. But they can be turned on and off with the headlight switch......so i'm thinking the dimmer switch may be shot.

And also figured out that FR = blue/red.

heli-mech
11-17-2009, 09:05 PM
It was the "illumi control unit" located on the knee kick panel. Swapped in a known good unit, and the lights function properly. If the PO would have bought a proper harness all this hassle could have been avoided.

chris_2.5gt
01-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I am having the exact same problem. So if I ground the yellow/blue wire the lights will work?

jockstar
01-12-2010, 08:11 PM
I have the same problem. Anyone have any tips or where I can get the illumi control that needs to be replaced?

chris_2.5gt
01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
ok it does work, just ground the yellow blue wire. I grounded it to the back screw hole for the stereo bracket, then I used the white/green wire for the illumination of the radio.

chris_2.5gt
01-12-2010, 08:57 PM
but like he mentioned, the dimmer won't work anymore, which for me I can live without but if you want that to work then you need the new illumination control box from a scrap yard. When I grounded the wire I also noticed that a lot of lights that, previously, weren't working now work.

Perkul8r
02-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Where was that ILC unit located in the knee panel. I believe this could be my problem. The hvac lights have never worked since i got the car. and i know it wasn't due to my stereo install. i am a lead installer at a local shop so i used the right adapter harness for the install.

nipper
02-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Where was that ILC unit located in the knee panel. I believe this could be my problem. The hvac lights have never worked since i got the car. and i know it wasn't due to my stereo install. i am a lead installer at a local shop so i used the right adapter harness for the install.

Look up HVAC lights. if you have dash lights your Illumination control is fine. You just need tot ake apart the HVAC controller and replace the bulbs.

Perkul8r
03-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Maybe i'll just go grab another HVAC control unit. I just found 2 legacy wagons at the salvage yard. lol

nipper
03-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Maybe i'll just go grab another HVAC control unit. I just found 2 legacy wagons at the salvage yard. lol

And odds are they have bulbs out too. Why not just fix it right?

:grin:

Perkul8r
03-22-2010, 01:58 AM

And odds are they have bulbs out too. Why not just fix it right?

:grin:
Ok so i thought i just had the HVAC lights out, But... The only lights that work on my dash are just the Gauge lights. The HVAC lights, and the lights for the fog, cruise and what not do not work. All my fuses are good though, Not sure what it could be though.

jey
03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Ok so i thought i just had the HVAC lights out, But... The only lights that work on my dash are just the Gauge lights. The HVAC lights, and the lights for the fog, cruise and what not do not work. All my fuses are good though, Not sure what it could be though.

Very common for those to burn out too, or the connections behind the switches get loose or something. Every now and then my cruise and defrost lights would come on and off randomly, hasn't bothered me enough to look at it because I've been driving 2nd gen legacies for 8 years and can find switches in the dark :lol:

B's Legacy Wagon
03-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Hey there is a few DIY write ups for replaceing light bulbs great ideas ill post a few links if the help:

1) viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1123 (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1123) =Interior Lighting Part 1 (56k, go fly a kite)
2) viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14157 (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14157) =INSTALL LED's for BE/BH dash / interior !!!!!!!!
3) viewtopic.php?f=39&t=10875 (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=10875) =DIY: change the colors of your dash buttons!

Credit to those thread owners/writters great job, hope this helps