PDA

View Full Version : Before/After video OBX Cold Air/Short Ram intake *8mb/1min*

ShortysTRM
01-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately, it has been either cold or rainy here pretty much every day since I got the intake, so the video isn't what it could've been. It definitely shows you what your [N/A] car may sound like with a Short Ram and a Cold Air Intake, though.

The intake is an OBX Racing Sports intake, designed for a 97-99 MAF 2.5RS. I used an AEM Dryflow oil-free air filter instead of the filter included, and I had to purchase another silicon coupler (the black one in the video). I also had to cap off two of the vacuum ports on the intake piping, since I didn't need them for my 2002 Legacy MAP 2.5L.

The cold-air setup puts the filter only about 12" off the ground, which definitely increases your chances of ingesting water into your engine. Under normal drving, the intake is pretty much silent. As for power, I really never drove this car hard enough to notice the difference, and the stock system was fairly well engineered to begin with. Another one of the early testers of this new eBay intake, Gagan/JoltdudeUC, did some general before and after dynos, which showed nice gains, but he has a MAF-metered 2.5 with OBX equal-length headers and some other exhaust work, so I doubt my results would be as favorable. There is no loss of low-end torque, according to the dyno. As of right now, my gas mileage has remained about the same as before the intake, but it could be because I have been driving it harder. I was hoping for a slight increase in mileage, though.

http://atabo.com/LegacyIntake.wmv

Reason
01-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Sound was distorted and no video. Maybe it was my POS computer.

Plays_with_Toys
01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Its your computer. Video and sound works here. Again, sounds awesome!

Reason
01-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I had the money for one but spent it all on my car. Maybe I will just piece one together like I wanted.

Plays_with_Toys
01-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I had the money for one but spent it all on my car. Maybe I will just piece one together like I wanted.

Haha, no worries. I am sure all you need is a new codec for your media player. I run my sound through my stereo (200 watts), so everything sounds good :lol:

HFSDevil
01-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Very cool. I woulda done this too, but I got the exhaust so it wouldn't be the same...

ShortysTRM
01-09-2006, 03:37 PM
That's a hot Legacy ^^ I like :D

35TH
01-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Any idea if OBX makes one for an 04 leg. L and if so where I can get it.
I had an OBX short ram on my RS and it rocked, (sounded like a vortex sucking up small children)
Thanks,
35th

badbasser98
01-13-2006, 12:03 PM
It sounds nice. But I think my BD's intake was insanely loud... Just did a snorkusectomy and removed the rubber seal to the filter box from the side fender. Slapped in a custom high flow filter, and say "damn" every time you stomp on the gas. It was loud throughout the ENTIRE RPM range, I was impressed. My BE is only loud around the 3K RPM range, relativly silent before that, and tapers off quickly after about 3400 RPM. I am going to do a full custom intake this summer, so maybe that'll give me some extra noise to listen to ;-)

-BB98

ShortysTRM
01-14-2006, 11:23 AM
OBX makes a CAI for the MAP cars, too, but I don't know if it's actually on the market yet. You can get the part number from their website. There's another brand that makes an eBay intake for the MAP cars that comes painted or powdercoated blue. It looks a lot better than the one I have,a nd it foloows the same routing.