PDA

View Full Version : Continuing the Snorkus conversation....

Wiscon_Mark
05-08-2005, 03:44 PM
I decided to start a new post here because the snorkus debate seemed out of place in Interior Accessories.
I've looked at the scoobymods website, and it got a little confusing, especially because the information sometimes contradicted itself (mostly ppl saying cold air intakes suck) and it was scattered all over the place, so I thought maybe someone could clue me in. Maybe I'm just easy to confuse, but I didn't absorb all of the data there very well.
Questions:
when you get rid of the snorkus, do you cover that hole up, or do you add/change an intake to get cooler air? I saw instances of both.
Would you recommend CAI or snorking' the noise limiter and changing the filter to a performance filter?
Would FRAM Airhogs work as well as the Green Air filter (I don't know if fram is regional or national, maybe you guys don't know what I'm talking about)? Green is about 2x as expensive as FRAM, so I'd assume its better, but how much better?

That's about all for now, but I seek your expertise.
Fibuz can even make a picture of a Cardboard intake if he likes.....

Pwise2326
05-08-2005, 08:21 PM
There's lots of debate on CAI/no CAI, bottom line is gutting the snorkus and sealing off the air box to the fender makes a home-made CAI which costs you nothing! If you want better performance, get an upgraded air filter to finish the job off. The fram airhogs are still frams, and as great as it sounds its like a hyundai to an STI (just a side note, you know its bad to use fram oil filters on subaru's, the valving isn't correct and allows all the oil to drain back down to the filter, leaving the engine pretty much dry on starts...which is why you may notice noise from the lifters until the juice starts circulating a little). If youre on a budget, get an airhog, or be smarter and save those pennies until you can afford something better, like the green filter, k&n, blue, or whatever your preference. The nice thing about the ones I just listed are the re-useability of them, being able to clean and re-oil them over and over will pretty much have the filter pay for itself in the long run instead of changing a paper filter every however long.

Wiscon_Mark
05-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Never noticed hard starts or anything noisy like that....
I'm not gonna worry about it, its worked for me for 170,000
and on that note, reusability probably won't be an issue as we just (bad timing) put a new filter on it and won't need another one for a while. I don't know how far this car is going to make it, but my current estimate would be well over 200,000 with the way its running.
But yeah, I finally am starting to understand this snorkusectomy stuff, and what it does and it makes sense. Now to convince the parent who might not believe it....

Pwise2326
05-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Your parents wouldnt notice a difference, lol, just get out there with a wrench and a screwdriver and you're set, lol.

Wiscon_Mark
05-08-2005, 08:33 PM
My dad would notice if it was throatier.....and he knows that car really well, I wouldn't be able to BS him for long....oh well, I think he'd go for it anyways, if I could play up the mileage idea, because it probably would help, if I didn't drive like a maniac with that little power boost (doubt it, its a 2.2) And I don't very much anyways. I just like taking the corners fast :D :-D

Wiscon_Mark
05-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Also, on the Greenfilters website, I read that if you're part of a car club or something like that, you might get discounts....
Would that work for either this site or scoobymods?
Just curious, cause I'll save any money I can

jey
05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Performance air filters don't really produce any power gains - the reason I have a K&N is because I can clean it and use it for a long time, so pays for itself.

The snorkus mod doesn't do too much to your overall power either - if anything it gives you a little more torque in the lower end (I found I could cruise at 30 mph in 5th gear).

The snorkus mod will make your car noticably louder. But if you don't like it you can always just put it back.

Pwise2326
05-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Exactly, its just a step towards helping your car breathe better. If you have to keep the car relatively stock its the easiest and cheapest option for you. You can't beat free.

shazapple
05-09-2005, 08:50 PM
I just did this tonight. That harmonic noise is VERY annoying. I have to do something about it

Heres a vid/sound of the stock intake
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.asp ... BD7DD92318 (http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=7A5D4421-18B5-464F-B37B-33BD7DD92318)

heres a vid/sound of snorkus removed.
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.asp ... 18A3047E66 (http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=24C38E61-A5ED-420B-8F3A-C918A3047E66)

Wiscon_Mark
05-09-2005, 08:56 PM
so its just an annoying hum, then? that would be kinda annoying. Its still a nice idea, but I don't think its happening anytime soon....

Pwise2326
05-10-2005, 01:04 AM
thats the hum alright, the cause is the air running over the bumps in the flexible straw-like section of the intake tube. I thought it was the big elbow tube that comes off the front of the main intake tube, one of the harmonic balancers, so I chopped it off at the edge and fabricated a plastic plug to seal it off, it reduced the noise slightly, but didn't eliminate it like I had hoped it would. Next step would be to get a straight section of aluminum or SS piping to replace the plastic piece, with an outlet for the main breather hose to hook up to underneath about halfway up it, I had all the dimensions figured to get one fabricated somewhere for me, with couplings and clamps it came to just under a hundred bucks, keeping the stock MAF position allowing you to a.) keep the modified intake box (modified meaning removing the white plastic piece that fit inside it to seal the snorkus to it...if you remove it you get a larger diameter opening in the airbox and when seal to the fender it can get more cold air directly from the fender into the box and into the block), or b. get a MAF adapter and get a cone filter...which isn't a great idea unless you can fab a box that surrounds the cone and seals to the bottom of the hood and feeds from the fender. My buddy with a BMW has an after market cone filter that has this setup...keeps the heat of the engine bay out, and the compartment looks pretty sharp...this summer I'm going to fab one up if I can using thick plastic and some window sealer tape stuff...kinda like whats at the bottom of the lower windshield trim that seals to the bottom of the hood...yeah that stuff. I'll try to find a picture to give you an idea. I saw a company that makes a setup that fits into the airbox, but its only for trucks and SUV's. I'll see what I can dig up. The drone isn't too bad though, and its only at idle. I'll play around with some things and see what I can come up with, the drone isn't ridiculous, disconnect the snorkus to see what it sounds like and see if you can live with it for a little while, lol.

shazapple
05-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Yeah, the only time I would find it really annoying is when Im standing around with my friends or when sittingin traffic. Both times I probably wouldnt notice it if I had my stereo playing.

I found a peanut butter jar and I melted the threads off the top. It pretty much fit perfectly into the airbox hole. I put the stock piece back on though cause I thought it would help with the droning, but it didnt.

So replacing that bendable stuff would get rid of the drone? How would you get the air filter out?

Pwise2326
05-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Unclip the box and pull it up? ...the bendable stuff is on the tube between the MAF and the Plenum box. Replace that with a nice smooth 3" diameter aluminum pipe and you should be all set.

ooberdoob
05-10-2005, 11:43 AM
you forgot to show what the real benefit of the skorkusectomy in in the vid sha_zapple, the WOT sound! i don't have a camera, else i'd do it. one blip to about 3k, then mash it, you'll hear the growl :twisted:

shazapple
05-11-2005, 12:38 AM
lol, you dont want to hear my car. The heat shields are noisy.

I dont know about your airbox, but mine only has two clips. The driverside of the box has a hook sort of thing you have to get the top part on before you can clip it down (the clips are on the P side). Its very, very, very annoying to remove and would be impossible if the hose didnt bend

Pwise2326
05-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Right, but remember, to attach the straight section of aluminum piping you need couplings, just like on any turbo setup or CAI setup, on the end that attaches to the plenum box you can get a hump hose coupling, or a flex section, which will allow you to manipulate the section in a similar fasion, with, on the ouside appears as one large bump but is relatively smooth inside so you don't get the noise. Heres a link to show you what it is: http://www.turbohoses.com/Hump.htm ...what a link name...only one of these is needed, the other being a straight 3"to 3" coupling. I'm going to try to find my correspondence with the company to get the price quote on the whole setup, I believe it was just about $100 for everything but I'll have to double check. That is for a custom made polished 3" diameter 6-8" long straight aluminum pipe, the hump hose, and the coupling. Figure you can get ring clamps from home depot for 99cents or something like that. Seems expensive, but when you compare the 100 dollars for that plus the 60 or so for the performance filter, that's still roughly $50-150 cheaper than most CAI's on the market (depending if you go ebay or credible), made with high quality parts with a setup that you know is going to function exactly how it is supposed to.

Cajual
05-11-2005, 01:34 AM
After you do the snorkusectomy, you can plug up that hole with an OEM fender plug. You can order it at the dealer or get it online at subaruparts.com. Here's the part#: 46059FA000.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/05/fender_plug01-1.jpg

shazapple
05-11-2005, 05:20 PM
I used the top of a ice cream container :-D

fibuz
05-11-2005, 05:23 PM
I used the top of a ice cream container :-D

I used duct tape!

Reason
05-11-2005, 05:29 PM
You give the name "backyard tuners" a whole new meaning. lol

shazapple
05-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Just an update, I took the airbox hole piece back out making the hole a bit bigger. Im not really sure if theres much of a difference in the car with the snorkus removed. Its definitly a lot louder, and the drone is very noticable with the hood up, other than that Ive gotten used to it.

jey
05-12-2005, 09:07 AM
lol, you dont want to hear my car. The heat shields are noisy.

I dont know about your airbox, but mine only has two clips. The driverside of the box has a hook sort of thing you have to get the top part on before you can clip it down (the clips are on the P side). Its very, very, very annoying to remove and would be impossible if the hose didnt bend

Hehe, you won't be complaining about opening the airbox if you've ever changed the air filter on a WRX, or a WRX engine in a Legacy :) Just imagine that that hose that bends for you in the Legacy is now only 1/3 as long.

slip
05-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Next step would be to get a straight section of aluminum or SS piping to replace the plastic piece......etc.

I used a GPmoto intake and ran it to the stock air box with a K&N panel filter. I also have the same intake tubing running from the inlet on the box, through the fender, and to the passenger side fog light duct so it's kind of a ram-air sorta thing. It's not too loud either. I had a cone filter on the end before I went back to the air box and it was a bit louder. Throttle response is bit better now with the box back in and you can be sure the air its getting is COLD :D

Pwise2326
05-13-2005, 01:53 AM
You have to be careful with that kinda setup, hit a good puddle and you would really run the risk of hydrolocking it. Having the airbox sealed to the fender gives it more than enough air, which comes in from the same spot around the foglights, up the plastic wheel well piece and right into the opening. No need to put your engine at more risk than you have to.

slip
05-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Agreed. Right now I have a AEM air-bypass valve in the fender section to avoid any water intake. Hopefully that will be enough, but if it's not then I'll probably get an RS fender plug and just leave it at that.

Reason
05-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Slip: Do you have any engine pics? Sounds like a good idea and I might be interested in stealing the idea...err...doing the same :wink:

slip
05-14-2005, 05:22 AM
It's been raining here for the past few days and I didn't feel like taking a gamble so I moved the air-bypass valve into the engine bay between the MAF and the throttle body. My engine bay sure isn't the cleanest right now (hasn't been cleaned since before winter!) but I'll take some pics tomorrow if the weather allows for me to give it a quick clean and the car a good wash.....maybe I'll finally have time to put on my cat-less mid section too

slip
05-14-2005, 02:01 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/616000-616999/616585_43_full.jpg

Wiscon_Mark
05-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Not having the A/C unit right there in front of the filter box makes it easier to desnork you car doesn't it? I'm gonna have to go in throught the wheel well. The things I do for every little erg of gas (or performance, depending on how I want to drive). Sigh.

Tris_STi
05-20-2005, 04:24 PM
You guys haven't noticed any MAF codes yet, from putting that kind of turbulent air past it?

From what I understand, if the air coming across the maf isn't quite smooth, it makes it throw a code, and later, you'll experience $200+ MAF failure.

Any gains in your fender-to-fog setup? (that seems to be the preferred way, anyhow)

Tokio
05-20-2005, 04:59 PM
:lol:

99 MAFs are usually the ones to go...but the snokusectomy has never thrown a code with any of the subarus i know of.

shazapple
05-20-2005, 05:29 PM
No code from mine yet.

I plan on getting some rubber couplings from home depot and getting rid of that bendy section. The MAF connector is 8cm (3.15") and the plenum box connector is 7cm (2.75"). Also, Ill have to drill a 2cm(0.8") hole in the connecting section (probably a foot of 3" PVC pipe) and put a L shaped bracket in it for the vacuum line.

Pwise2326
05-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Alright, snapped some pictures today to give a pictoral overview of what I've said in the past:

Like Cajual said, you can get the RS fender plug or use tape, I chose the cheaper alternative, but lucky for me the aluminum tape pretty much matches my paint

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/05/Ryan079-1.jpg

When I first tried getting rid of the hum I thought the elbow section was creating the hum like if you were to blow over the top of the bottle to make a deep note. So I chopped it and fabricated a plug to seal it up good and tight:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/05/Ryan080-1.jpg

up close:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/05/Ryan081-1.jpg

But to no avail it persisted, a little quieter but its there, and I'm pretty sure this is the culprit:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/05/Ryan087-1.jpg

So like Sha_z said, you can DIY a smoother replacement or if you've got the cash measure out the stock piece (figure it to be able 1.5inches or so shorter to fit between the MAF and plenum box right...remember the stock piece has the couplings molded onto it, you need to accomadate for that space and allow some flex. The most important thing is to make sure you have an outlet about half way to it for the breather hose (try to get precise dimensions for the breather hose so they can add an outlet that the hose will fit over snuggly, get a small clamp just to be safe....doesnt have to be the L shape like stock but make sure you move the opening closer to the plenum box to allow the breather hose to bend up - and that the outlet is on the bottom of the pipe. If you're really handy, you can weld one up yourself, and save quite a bit of money! Just spray a piece of 3" aluminum or SS stock piping with high temp chrome paint or whatever color suits your fancy and youre all set!