PDA

View Full Version : 1997 GT....230000kms...should I buy this vehicle?

chromehorn
12-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Hello, after some back and forth emails with the owner I decided not to buy the car. However, I quickly changed my mind soon afterward. And then again. I'm really on the fence. So, my question is, would you recommend the purchasing of this vehicle?

This mostly deals with the head gasket issue. If I were to buy this car and install new head gaskets, should that solve the head gasket issue (at least for another 70000km or so)? Also, is changing the gaskets without lifting the engine possible? And how many hours or days am I looking at? I just want a BG wagon, regardless of trim level. Would I be better of with a higher mileage 2.2L?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1997-Subaru-Legacy-2-5-GT-Wagon-5spd-W0QQAdIdZ172790148#

thanks in advance

Huffer
12-04-2009, 11:43 AM
A headgasket job takes a good mechanic all day. It's not something that should need to be done again once it's been done properly.

If you've slept on it and you still are unsure, walk away.

mike-tracy
12-20-2009, 04:41 AM
A headgasket job takes a good mechanic all day. It's not something that should need to be done again once it's been done properly.

If you've slept on it and you still are unsure, walk away.

Agreed with both points. The engine HG's can be replaced in the car, but with those heads it's ridiculously harder. Pulling this engine should take you 2-3 hours your first time with a lift (rented or bought) - make sure you have a "load leveler" for re-installation. Trust me. If you do the work yourself you'll need to take the heads to a machining shop to inspect and potentially plane them.

jospgut
12-20-2009, 05:21 AM
i did a couple of times, my gt and my moms L, i did it using the right tools, so much information an the most important being patient, the first time i took 6 hours because of the 2.5 doch and the second time i took 4 with the 2.2 soch, anyways, if you do it, you will save alot but ALOT of money, and you will learn alot, i love to to this kind of stuf, and yeah you have to lift the engine just to get space betwen the heads and chassis. just take all the superficial, and you can take the head for under the car, you will need to take the headers also, there is not to much space, but is not impossible, other thing, i did this the first time with my car, i went to the subaru dealer and when i bought the parts like seals, pulleys, gaskets, etc. i asked for information they gave me like 5 pages with instructions, i spended $ 350 just parts and thats was it.. so if the car is cheap i would buy it, and you have a beautiful car for many more years.