PDA

View Full Version : B5A4's B5 A4

b5a4
12-16-2009, 01:11 PM
The Audi A4 is a 97' 1.8t with quattro and a shitty automatic transmission. It was my official "first car" that I saved up to buy from 13 till when I bought it at the age of 16. Car had 120k when I got it and at that time it already had the timing belt go costing the previous owners 5k replacing half the motor and new turbo. Over the next two years before I sold it (just sold it yesterday) I replaced 4 control arms 2 wheel bearings , and had to fix the exhaust 3 times.... A tribute to Audi's reliability.
Mods:
K/N air filter
Alpine Head Unit

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/12/100_2548-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/12/100_2547-1.jpg
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/12/100_2549-1.jpg

cman7
02-23-2010, 05:04 PM
The Audi A4 is a 97' 1.8t with quattro and a shitty automatic transmission. It was my official "first car" that I saved up to buy from 13 till when I bought it at the age of 16. Car had 120k when I got it and at that time it already had the timing belt go costing the previous owners 5k replacing half the motor and new turbo. Over the next two years before I sold it (just sold it yesterday) I replaced 4 control arms 2 wheel bearings , and had to fix the exhaust 3 times.... A tribute to Audi's reliability.

The previous owners paid $5,000 to replace the timing belt and the car's turbo!?!?! They're pretty smart. I just got quoted $700 for a full timing belt service.

And if you're being sarcastic about the reliability of the car you're nuts. Fixing the exhaust, control arms, and wheel bearings is nothing. If you think this is a lot you oughta see what I've put into my legacy.

b5a4
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
The timing belt snapped, bent all the valves in the head etc thats why it cost so much.... all the other stuff went within 20k wheel bearings that were replaced were beginning to fail again. The control arms (4 to one side) are over 250 apiece and unless you have all the tools cannot do it yourself... Plus the trans was beginning to fail, probably due to "lifetime" transmission fluid and there isnt anyway to change it unless you take it to a dealer and its a $800 service. B5 A4's a notorious for being very unreliable and just got to the point I was putting way to much more into the car than it was worth and it was the never ending story with stuff going wrong.

cman7
02-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Ah. That's why.

I just picked one up. Fortunately I have a Volkswagen specialized mechanic that doesn't charge dealership prices near me. I made sure to pick one up with an M/T. Tired of cars picking the "proper" gears for me.

Anything I should know about these cars?

b5a4
02-25-2010, 04:41 PM
If its the 1.8t make sure that you only use synthetic oil as conventional will cause sludge and clog up oil pump. Make sure to do the timing belts on time or earlier than recommended intervals. When these cars are running right the are an amazing car and I do at times miss mine. If mine was a manual I would have probably kept the car. Oh on a random note if you didnt know, if you put key into the door and either turn it right or left and hold it the car will roll down the windows turn other way it locks the doors, and closes the windows and the sunroof and sets the alarm. It def was a nice feature espically in summer to help cool the car off before I got in.