PDA

View Full Version : windshield washer sprayers

Reason
01-11-2006, 04:27 AM
I'm looking for new windshield washer sprayers. What year Legacy (if any) have the fan type? I have two streams and they SUCK! The parts guy at my local Suby dealer knows NOTHING. The last guy was great always answered my questions without hesitation.

Legacy4Life
01-11-2006, 05:42 AM
I bought a pair of fan nozzles from Canadian Tire, a local dept store with quite of bit of automotive stuff. They were a universal type. But they didn't work as well so I took them off. They worked GREAT when the car was stopped, absolutely amazing! But at highway speeds they couldn't reach the windshield. They were terrible.

My latest idea is to put an extra spray pump on. I've actually bought one already, just need to modify the washer tank to take it and re-do the plumbing. That way I would have one pump per nozzle and would get a lot more power behind it. Then I'd try the fan nozzles again.

My biggest beef is the rear wiper. It either sprays too low or too high. I can never get it to clean the whole window, The only way is to hold the spray on until it starts to run back down the window. But then it's running down the window for the next 10 minutes and it's still a mess! But that's only an issue for those with wagons I guess.

gil_ong81
01-11-2006, 08:45 AM
reason,

i got a used pair FREE from someone local. go to any junkyard and pinch them off a WRX or any of the newer subbies. they WILL FIT. I can take pics tomorrow if you want.

just to play it safe, i also used the little rubber pieces thatf it between the nozzles and the hood, as well as the plumbing up to the point where they come together.

shazapple
01-11-2006, 10:51 AM
My moms 99 Outback had a set of the spray type.

Reason
01-11-2006, 03:51 PM
It's rare to see a Subaru in s junkyard around here. I haven't seen one yet. It's been about 2 year since I tried so I will look this weekend thanks.

badbasser98
01-11-2006, 07:05 PM
believe its MY98+ :wink:

Wiscon_Mark
01-11-2006, 07:56 PM
mine comes out in 2 streams when I'm stopped, but when the wind catches it (at highway type speeds) it fans out quite nicely, I'm very happy with it.

See if you can't get a MY95 system, although I would guess mine is just in better shape than yours, there's really no design difference.

AussieDan
01-11-2006, 09:34 PM
I actually ordered a pair from 1stsubaruparts.com, which they verified as being the correct part number for the '99 legacy:

R: 86636AC021
L: 86636AC031

However, they were the wrong parts, with the same 2-stream spray as the '97. After talking to their parts guys they said that the part number never changed across the years.

These pages:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive98_99.html
http://www.cars101.com/outback_archive98-99.html

Indicate that the 99 outback and legacy did come with the fan-type nozzles, so I'm not wure what the full story is.

My wife's '01 RS has the fan type nozzles, so I'm planning to pull them off both cars and see if they will fit.

FWIW my parts lists show these parts for the Impreza:

R 86636FA150
L 86636FA160

94-98
R 86636FA101
L 86636FA111

99-01
R 86636FA190
L 86636FA200

Reason
01-12-2006, 02:12 AM
I'm going to Subaru in the morning to see if I can get to the bottom of this.

AussieDan
01-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Let me know what you find out, unfortunately I don't know a dealer local to me with a decent parts department that I could talk to.

One of them actually refused to talk to me unless I would give them a VIN to look up!

Reason
01-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Damn Subaruless junkyards! I went to two yards and nothing. I went to Subaru also but the idiot was working. I did see the other guy that knows his stuff, I guess he was out because he has a HUGE bruise on his forehead. So I will go back Saturday morning when I pick up my new belts. I still have 2 more junkyards to hit in my area.

Wiscon_Mark
01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
One of them actually refused to talk to me unless I would give them a VIN to look up!

yeah, like we have a VIN memorized :roll:

I know mine starts with 4S3BK, but I don't know the rest.

MR.MCSICK
01-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Actually, The reason that we a vin is so the customer gets the correct parts for their vehicle so they are happy i can avoid one more headache for the day. Its just in everyones best interest to have it ready when you go to the dealer. It saves everyone alot of aggrevation. There is nothing worse than waiting a week for a part and finding out its wrong. :roll: Of course the parts guy gets blamed. We get so many morons who dont know wtf theyre talking about its better to get all the infomation. Ironically, its people like us that parts guys like me hate the most. We are the ones who used WRX parts on our Legacies and stuff from different years on our Legacies and ask rediculous questions. The biggest problem is the lack of knowledge on behalf of so many "parts professionals"

Reason
01-14-2006, 10:15 AM
So MR.MCSICK, can you clear this up and tell us what years and models use the fan type?

AussieDan
01-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Does anyone have any new info on this? I haven't had a chance yet to check out the nozzles on the Impreza to see if they will fit.

gator gt
01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
I have a set on my GT that came from a 99 GT wagon.

Any Legacy 99+ has them.

I think any Forester 00+ has them. I'm willing to bet the same for Imprezas.

I love mine. I'll never switch back to jet streams.

There were a bunch of good candidates at a local 'u-pick' yard, but the owners decided to re-organize the lot and I guess in their minds that meant getting rid of all the newer Subarus. ????? They went from 16 Subarus to having 4. 2 95 Legacys, a 98 Forester and a Loyale. <-I think.

No, I won't sell mine. :P

GGT

Wiscon_Mark
01-18-2006, 11:48 PM
I should get a video of mine, they work great... :shrug:

AussieDan
01-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Yes, we know that they came on the 99, the problem is getting a valid part number to order them for those of us who don't have easy access to them in yards.

As I posted above the part number indicated for the '99 legacy in the subaru lists is still for the double-stream nozzles.

AussieDan
02-05-2006, 11:48 AM
We have a winner!

So I finally got around to pulling the driver's side nozzle off the Impreza and trying it on the GT.

They clip on exactly the same, and the spray pattern seems to be very good, placing the main portion of the pattern right in the center (vertically) of the windshield.

With the car stationary there was some very slight overspray onto the roof, though not enough to reach to the sunroof. I will be testing them later today at city and highway speeds.

Here are some photos (http://photos.phpwerx.net/cars/Legacy/2006-02-05_Windshield_Washers/) showing the nozzle installed and the spray pattern.

The part numbers for these nozzles are:

99-01 Impreza
R 86636FA190
L 86636FA200

I'll hopefully be ordering mine this week.

MR.MCSICK
02-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey, i just deal in toyota parts. however, i can tell you that my 99 legacy L is pimpin fan-style. heh.

AussieDan
02-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Hey, i just deal in toyota parts. however, i can tell you that my 99 legacy L is pimpin fan-style. heh.That's really great, how about making yourself useful and finding a part number?

JjSwee
02-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Going a little offtopic here, but I remember seeing a magizine ad for a car (no idea what, volvo maybe?) that advertised its heated winshield washer fluid. Thats cool! Maybe we can get a 12volt submersible heater and put it on a switch... Anyone up to the challenge?

Reason
02-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Hey, i just deal in toyota parts. however, i can tell you that my 99 legacy L is pimpin fan-style. heh.That's really great, how about making yourself useful and finding a part number?

:lol: Part numbers help lol

Wiscon_Mark
02-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Going a little offtopic here, but I remember seeing a magizine ad for a car (no idea what, volvo maybe?) that advertised its heated winshield washer fluid. Thats cool! Maybe we can get a 12volt submersible heater and put it on a switch... Anyone up to the challenge?

well, I've seen some coolant heaters that work like engine block heaters at the hardware store that would probably work for that.

the only problem with it is, if you put hot windshield washer fluid on a cold windshield, you're gonna have a fogging problem.

MR.MCSICK
02-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Like i said, i do toyota parts. Thats my capacity here. Other than that id be in the same position as any of you at a Subaru dealer. My point was that for vehicle specific parts they need a VIN number. However a VIN doesnt narrow EVERY part. sometimes we have to see the part to get it. Its just a way of the business. It sucks alot of the time. Ill try to get them to give me a part number with my VIN since i have the nozzles.

shazapple
02-09-2006, 05:53 PM

They already have those. Up here they sell for 60 bucks or so
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/ ... 9525565885 (http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443285107&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517494&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396669671&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669671&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1139525565885)

NewGenSTi
02-10-2006, 11:00 AM

Believe it was the new BMW. they have a TV commercial and they talk about never having to scrape your window again with 150degree heated washer fluid. I guess its a pretty good concept

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOTSHOT- ... enameZWD1V (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOTSHOT-HEATED-WINDSHIELD-WASHER-UNIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6779QQitemZ8020652604QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V)

HotShot.. As seen above is coming on newer vehicles now. I couldnt find vehicle specifics but the new gm vehicles are supposed to get it the new caddilacs have it I believe and I think the comercial I saw was a bmw. its supposed to heat the spray instantly not the actual resevoir. so it only takes a few seconds to get up to around 145 F. Claim you wont have to scrap ice or snow anymore. Big claim. I think it would be worth it. I am going to pick one up when I get some extra $$ I will write up a review when i get it

gil_ong81
02-10-2006, 12:09 PM
get in touch with zapple. he showed me one from Canadian Tire for like $50.

NewGenSTi
02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Yeah, i checked that link but it doesnt work anymore. I am in the process now of trying to open up an aftermarket parts shop and online store, so I contacted this company to see if I can become a dealer for their product. if everything follows through then I should be able to get it at a lesser price anyways. anyways I dont want to fall too far off topic here. maybe we should make a new thread about the heated washer fluid?

gil_ong81
02-10-2006, 12:48 PM
yeah. the last time we tried, the direct link didn't owrk weither. you had to go to teh homepage, and navigate your way to it, and you need a canadian zip code.

NewGenSTi
02-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I found it there. It would be neat to get a hold of both of them and do a heads up comparison