PDA

View Full Version : 04 legacy build

kinkbmx4407
12-27-2009, 10:34 PM
ok so my legacy is about to get paid off and i am going to be buying a 06 sti when it is.
i was just going to trade it in and get it but the more and more i think about i cant get rid of her. so when i do get the sti im gonna put it away in the garage and slowly build her up. i want to get an already turboed jdm engine my question is do they have an ej20t, ej22t, ej25t or do they have all 3 and which is a better platform to build?

anothernord
12-28-2009, 02:16 AM
There are a lot of JDM turbo engines that will work, but the problem is the they are mostly OBD-I, such as the EJ20K, and EJ20G. And that is a step backward in terms of tuning, reliability, and emissions.

If your car is USDM, I would look first into a USDM WRX swap. There is a lot more information out there for USDM swaps out there, and less for JDM swaps.

kinkbmx4407
12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
ok that makes sense. what year wrx engine would be best or does it not matter?

anothernord
12-28-2009, 12:03 PM
ok that makes sense. what year wrx engine would be best or does it not matter?

Doesn't matter, but be sure to do a lot of research for the swap. Its not just as simple as taking, old engine out, and putting the new one in. Wiring is a huge ordeal, as well as getting all the bits that support the engine.

The best way to do this swap would be to find a wrecked WRX with a good engine/mechanical system. This way, you have everything you could possibly need for the swap, and you wouldn't have to go part hunting. Then, you can part the rest of the WRX out and get some money back.

kinkbmx4407
12-28-2009, 12:10 PM
ok. dont know how long it will be untill i can do the swap hopefully soon

Huffer
12-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Why build the Legacy when you'll have an STi? Why not buy a beater for DD use, buy an 06 STi front clip and swap it all over? You'll save way more and have the Legacy the way you want it.

kinkbmx4407
12-28-2009, 06:06 PM
the sti will be my dd. ive always wanted to build up the legacy because no one around here has a legacy like mine where i live. id keep the legacy for a weekend car once its complete

impreza_GC8
12-29-2009, 12:37 AM
the sti will be my dd. ive always wanted to build up the legacy because no one around here has a legacy like mine where i live. id keep the legacy for a weekend car once its complete
This is kinda backwards. The Legacy would make a fantastic DD with an STI in the garage. . .

There are a lot of JDM turbo engines that will work, but the problem is the they are mostly OBD-I, such as the EJ20K, and EJ20G. And that is a step backward in terms of tuning, reliability, and emissions.
JDM motors don't even really work on an OBD system. OBD is a US designation. JDM swaps need a JDM ECU and piggyback EMS or a complex and usually expensive standalone EMS to really tune to their full potential.

jey
12-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I know this is a Legacy forum but I'd drive an STi over any Legacy as a DD. If I owned an STi it would not be a garage queen!

kinkbmx4407
12-29-2009, 08:41 PM
im going to drive the sti over the legacy any day not putting the legacy down but the sti is the car i have always wanted. ive planned on buying a beat up 98 or 99 lgt and building it but i have an 04 that i can do it to. like i said before no one puts money into a legacy around here i would be the first its just what i want to do :smile: