PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Neutral safety switch disable(5 speeds trans)

SUBBIEEDUDE!
01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey guys I'm doing a write up on how to disable your neutral safety switch.
For those wondering why one would want to disable this sort of thing, is because my 97 legacy gt has been diagnosed with crank walk(when your crankshaft shifts back in forth).

But why?

when you start your car in the morning or whenever, you press your clutch pedal down. By doing so your exerting a force on your crankshaft. luckily we have things called thrust bearings which prohibit the crank from shifting back and forth. but when starting your motor cold there is a lack of oil on these bearings which force them to wear. your engine only sees this force for about a second, or how ever long it takes your car to start. not to big of an issue for Subaru. But DSMs see this problem a lot. But when you are already diagnosed with crank walk, disabling this switch is a big help but will not get rid of the problem. i will be rebuilding this motor shortly.

This "MOD" only takes 5 minutes. some could even modify this idea, maybe creating a security safety, so the clutch needs to be released in order to start. most car thieves would not suspect that.

Anyways what you'll need:
a piece of 18Gauge wire (2 inches in length)
male blade connector X2
wire diagram of your starting system.

step one: knowing how it all works
your neutral safety switch is nothing but a switch that opens/closes a circuit. most safety switches are nothing but two wires. while your clutch pedal is up the circuit is open. once your press down on it, the circuit is closed, this goes back to a relay to tell your starter that the clutch pedal is pressed in and the circuit is closed. the vehicle is ready to start.

Step two: creating a jumper
A jumper is simply a device that is made to bypass certain situations. so by simply unplugging the neutral safety switch and installing a wire that goes from one wire to the other(a Jumper) bypasses the safety switch and keeps the circuit closed at all times. you can create this jumper with ease. crimp two male blade connectors onto a 2 inch piece of 18 gauge wire. looks something like this:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2010/01/100_2132-1.jpg

step three: locating your neutral safety switch
when looking underneath your dash you'll notice you might have 2 switches on your clutch pedal. this is because some models are equipped with cruise control. this other switch turns off your cruise when the clutch is pressed down. this is where you'll need your wire diagram. there will be a wire going to a relay and then there will be a ground. for me the wire is green/yellow

step four: installing the jumper
what you wanna do now is connect one blade connector into the ground terminal of the harness and the other into the other color wire. this will connect the two wires together. essentially what your doing is cutting the wires and splicing them together. but the way I'm doing it is so you could always plug it back in if you didn't like it. this is what it looks like:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2010/01/100_2139-1.jpg

step 5: starting the vehicle
double check your wiring and make sure its all correct. now pop that shifter into neutral and start it up.
now that you have done this you must be careful not to leave your car in gear when starting. if your car doesn't start you have made an error somewhere. go back and check your diagrams.

Have fun with this and be careful. hopefully my motor will make it to spring weather.
Thanks

anothernord
01-10-2010, 04:11 PM
This could also be used for a remote start on a manual trans car. However, I would be wary of doing that since you might accidentally leave the car in gear, then start it the next morning. Car jumps forward, potentially hitting stuff.

SUBBIEEDUDE!
01-10-2010, 08:04 PM
ive been working on a way to resolve that problem of leaving the car in gear. ill have more information on it shortly. =]

green97gt
01-11-2010, 06:58 PM
some kid at school had an autostart on his 5spd nissan SE-R and started it and it rent right into the wall in front of it.

cost him for a new bumper, headlights and hood.

thats a big "oops"

02_Legacy
01-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I was thinking about doing this and rigging up an automatic starter for my car, but looking at the wiring diagram for my BE from the switch it actually goes to the "S" terminal of a relay, which would then always be energized. I don't know if it is the same on all models, or even if it is a really bad thing to always have the solenoid energized, but I thought I would just let you know.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2010/01/Starterdiagram-1.jpg

nomad666666
01-11-2010, 07:46 PM
The best thing is everybody thinks its dangerous to delete the neutral saftey switch when most old vw and all jeep wranglers and cjs never even came with one or for that matter most cars and trucks before 1983 :smt026

I would piggy back a momentary switch onto the floor switch that way if some retard drives your car they won't drive through a wall and you the owner will push the button to start it instead of the clutch :smt017

h4life
02-23-2010, 01:06 AM
my 86 brat dosnt have one

elijah
09-29-2010, 01:30 AM
The best thing is everybody thinks its dangerous to delete the neutral safety switch (http://www.racepages.com/parts/neutral_safety_switch.html) when most old vw and all jeep wranglers and cjs never even came with one or for that matter most cars and trucks before 1983 :smt026

I would piggy back a momentary switch onto the floor switch that way if some retard drives your car they won't drive through a wall and you the owner will push the button to start it instead of the clutch :smt017

This is a great post to learn some new knowledge especially to newbies like me. Thanks for sharing the steps on how to disable the neutral switch but I never thought that older cars doesn't have something like this. I thought it was standard for all vehicles ever since to have a neutral switch.

Airgne
09-29-2010, 06:39 AM
I wrote a diy on this in 08

jey
09-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Yup, here's the link to it:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9260 (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9260)

98bksarah
03-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Just did this. I love to solder. Easiest thing I have done to date. Thanks for the idea. Thanks more for the write-up. I park on flat spots at home and work, and everywhere else. E-brake is all I need 99.9% of the time. Feels custom..So very custom.

Grafton
03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
you'll loose cruse control if you have it, the computer turns off the cruse control whenever you press the clutch in,

a switchable bypass would be better, that way you could "fake" the bypass only when starting and have it work normal the rest of the time

impreza_GC8
03-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't get how this mod will help with your crank walk issue. I also don't think it's worth losing cruise control. Just my opinions.

98bksarah
03-02-2011, 09:04 AM
My '98 GT has TWO switches. I disabled the starter interrupt-and the switch directly below it controls the cruise control. Therefore, my car's cruise still functions. Seriously. Must be different for other models. Can't drive to the beach w/o cruise.... 10hrs is for endurance racers and NASCAR.

Grafton
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
My '98 GT has TWO switches. I disabled the starter interrupt-and the switch directly below it controls the cruise control. Therefore, my car's cruise still functions. Seriously. Must be different for other models. Can't drive to the beach w/o cruise.... 10hrs is for endurance racers and NASCAR.

ah didn't know that then

Airgne
03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I didnt loose my cruise control.

SUBBIEEDUDE!
03-03-2011, 09:14 PM
i also have two switches so the cruise control isn't an issue for me.

jey
03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Can't drive to the beach w/o cruise.... 10hrs is for endurance racers and NASCAR.

I've now made THREE one-day 900-mile trips in my Legacy with no cruise :) My heel was just a little sore after 15 hours but it wasn't too bad!

caoutback
04-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I have to say one of the best, quickest, and cheap mods to do. Wanted to do so for a long time and finally got off my lazy arse and did it. Biggest PITA was getting under the dash to disconnect the plug for the jumper :grin: . Wish I had done it sooner :roll: .