PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

Svenerachi1
01-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Okay, i was getting my alignment worked on and having a few other lil things looked at and asked them how much they charged to change out the spark plugs because i've heard that they are a complete pain in the ass to change out. I've got a 99 2.5GT if it makes any difference.
Anyway, besides wanting to charge me almost 100 bucks to change out the plugs, the guys also said he'd rather not do the job because i said that i wanted normal copper plugs, not the platinum as is suggested on his computer.

My reasoning was that i remember a post on here a while back where everyone was saying that they prefered the NGK Copper's because you got better power and fuel mileage out of them, correct me if i'm wrong please.

Anyway, two questions: Why are the copper's better?
and, How hard is it to change them out myself with normal hand tools, i don't have a lift and i don't trust jack stands ever since i had a jack fail and a car crush my hand while working at a brake shop about a year ago. Nifty scar by the way :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks

badbasser98
01-16-2006, 06:29 PM
The coppers create a hotter spark, burning more of the fuel that was injected. However, becuase of this they don't last as long either. As far as how hard they are to change.. The ones on my 95 L were the easiest I have ever done. but that was the EJ22. They do look like a PITA on my MY02 EJ25 however :?

-BB98

ooberdoob
01-16-2006, 10:25 PM
the phase II (SOHC) engines don't look bad, and if you have one and are whining, y'all can suck me. you should see the DOHC plugs. they are between the cams, ladies, so think about that.

Plays_with_Toys
01-17-2006, 12:06 PM
It involves removing the air box and washer fluid reservoirs. I would get a swivel coupler for your wratch and a couple extensions if you don't have them. Maybe even two swivel joints. On my EJ22, I actually got them out without removing a thing using a bunch of swivels and extensions, though, getting the plug boot back on was a pain.

FOR SURE put antiseize on your plugs and put boot connector greaseat the top of the plug and inside your boot, otherwise its near impossible to get the boots seated all the way in.

Svenerachi1
01-17-2006, 04:19 PM
okay, so only downside to getting copper plugs would be that i'd need to change them out sooner? hell if its not that difficult i'll just change them out myself, but if its a PITA then i might stick with platinum.

Obberdoob, have you changed yours out yourself? I've got the phase 1 DOHC 2.5 you mentioned.

ivwarrior
01-17-2006, 08:59 PM
okay, so only downside to getting copper plugs would be that i'd need to change them out sooner? hell if its not that difficult i'll just change them out myself, but if its a PITA then i might stick with platinum.

Obberdoob, have you changed yours out yourself? I've got the phase 1 DOHC 2.5 you mentioned.

I've done the dual cam engines. It's not THAT difficult, but it is much more of a PITA than the 2.2L engines. Getting the plug wires of the plugs is sometimes a little difficult, because of location/lack of room. Then, one at a time, put in the plug socket, then, a short (3 inch? preferably wobble) extension, then put the ratchet onto the extension. Loosen plug. Remove ratched, finish loosening plug. Pull the extension off, then pull the plug socket/plug out. Reverse to install.

You might be able to get the plug socket/extension into the plug hole together, but it's usually easier to go it one at a time. A pair of needle-nose pliers that have bend toward the end help with the plug socket removal from the plug hole.
----------------

Once you've done it a few times, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. First time sucks pretty bad, though.

Svenerachi1
01-21-2006, 01:08 AM
damn, that sounds involved, but being broke as a motivation i guess i'll have to give it a try this coming weekend.
thanks for the help.

Reason
01-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Every time I changed mine I went under the car. Although each time I was lucky enough to have it up on a lift :)

Tokio
01-21-2006, 02:57 PM
o m g.

listen to yourselves.

you people are actually complaining about changing spark plugs.

Wiscon_Mark
01-21-2006, 03:59 PM
o m g.

listen to yourselves.

you people are actually complaining about changing spark plugs.

yes, well, we're not all mechanics like you. Tools make a world of difference.

Svenerachi1
01-22-2006, 06:30 PM
yeah, i have the most basic of hand tools. a wrench if i'm lucky. i'm an electrician, not a mechanic

subieyacht
01-24-2006, 02:21 PM
i made my own tool to change plugs on the dohc 2.5. i welded a bolt head to an extension for the drivers side plugs, there the hardest. other than that if you have the right tools its cake. just time consuming

Tokio
01-24-2006, 02:29 PM
well, i can see where youre coming from... but try to switch out throw-out bearings. THATS real fun.

BAC5.2
01-24-2006, 04:15 PM
well, i can see where youre coming from... but try to switch out throw-out bearings. THATS real fun.

That's easy. I would actually say it is less of a chore than changing spark plugs (though it does take more time). There isn't anything difficult about changing a throw out bearing. ESPICALLY on a push-type clutch. Every bolt is within easy reach. It's just a matter of knowing what you are doing and having the tools to do it.

I just did the plugs in my Forester (Phase1 EJ25 [DOHC]). Took about 25 minutes or so of actual wrench time.

I always use the Copper's. It's not that much of an inconvenience to change them every 12k, at least for me.

My city gas mileage jumped from a lowly 18mpg to 21mpg after replacing the plugs and wires.