PDA

View Full Version : Need shocks and struts

jospgut
01-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Im in need of shcks and struts for my 97 2.5 gt, my the oem are getting really soft, when me and my mom are in the car and go thru a bumper, it rubs, i decide to get a nice and performance shocks or dampers, coilovers are a little expensive for my packet. any ideas what can i get?

Huffer
01-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Shocks ARE struts on your GT... :)

Your best bang for buck is going to be either new KYB GR2 (bolt on, no modification needed unless you want to clip the brake line mounting tab) OR WRX/Impreza takeoffs (used) but then you should get something that has been fully assembled w/ springs and tophats etc.

KYB GR2's will bolt in place of your existing struts...you will have to dismantle your existing suspension.

Honestly if you're clocking near 100k on suspension you should replace the springs and the tophats too.

Do some reading in the suspension section on replacements etc. It's all been covered before.

jospgut
01-23-2010, 07:28 PM
yea i was thinking to go with the kyb gr2, thats my money range right know, i probably go with the H&R springs, ill do some research too, thank you!!

1-3-2-4
01-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Shocks ARE struts on your GT... :)

Your best bang for buck is going to be either new KYB GR2 (bolt on, no modification needed unless you want to clip the brake line mounting tab) OR WRX/Impreza takeoffs (used) but then you should get something that has been fully assembled w/ springs and tophats etc.

KYB GR2's will bolt in place of your existing struts...you will have to dismantle your existing suspension.

Honestly if you're clocking near 100k on suspension you should replace the springs and the tophats too.

Do some reading in the suspension section on replacements etc. It's all been covered before.

speaking of tophats the little plug under the hood that covers the bolt for the strut do replacement tophats come with another plug? Somehow mine walked away.

Huffer
01-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Not usually...

prodriver1
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
ya i have hr springs on my 98' lgt and im looking to get kyb gr2s in a couple weeks. it sounds like it will be a good setup

1-3-2-4
01-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Man I did not know that top hats are like $50 a piece at least from tire rack what is so great about molded rubber?

Why is the left and right rear not the same price?

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2010/01/KYB-1.jpg

Huffer
01-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Price is higher for parts that get hit a lot. Most people get tagged turning left by people shooting the intersections...

Seriously... check with insurance adjusters. ;)

Navi271
02-01-2010, 01:03 AM
ah... that explains it, had the same question but didn't feel like asking it.